07-09-2013 06:06 PM
40 12
tools
    Hi! I was just wondering if any of you guys know when is the new samsung galaxy s4 update coming? (The one that allows you to move apps into the sd card) I also wanted to ask if the phone needs to be rooted before getting the update? Is there anyway you can get the update without rooting the phone.
    Thankyou! I am new at android.
    j510 likes this.
    07-07-2013 12:28 PM
    As far as I know, the S4 merges the memory of the SD card and the phone memory together. At least this is how it works for my S4.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-07-2013 12:43 PM
    Hi! I was just wondering if any of you guys know when is the new samsung galaxy s4 update coming? (The one that allows you to move apps into the sd card) I also wanted to ask if the phone needs to be rooted before getting the update? Is there anyway you can get the update without rooting the phone.
    The update has been released for the International S4 and I believe other carriers around the world/US. You can check the phone for system updates or check via Kies. If no update is available check with your carrier on availability of future updates. Regarding rooting, you do not need to be rooted to receive the latest update from your carrier. In fact, if rooted you will not receive notifications to update and likely can't update without unrooting.

Hopefully this answers your question.
    07-07-2013 01:10 PM
    Unless you flash the official firmware through odin if you are rooted.

07-07-2013 02:34 PM
    check via Kies.
    I can never get it to work, gets stuck on connecting and goes no farther.
    07-07-2013 02:59 PM
    Try checking via your phone or go to www.sammobile.com

07-08-2013 01:44 AM
    The update was pushed to Europe and will hit US carriers sometime around the end of july.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    07-08-2013 01:46 AM
    The update has been released for the International S4 and I believe other carriers around the world/US. You can check the phone for system updates or check via Kies. If no update is available check with your carrier on availability of future updates. Regarding rooting, you do not need to be rooted to receive the latest update from your carrier. In fact, if rooted you will not receive notifications to update and likely can't update without unrooting.

Hopefully this answers your question.
    Stock rooted should receive the OTA updates.

Sent from my Sprint GS4 using Tapatalk
    Formerly "Evo_girl"
    07-08-2013 08:11 AM

Formerly "Evo_girl"
    Nope, it would say that your device is modified and unable to receive updates.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-08-2013 08:12 AM
    Welcome to the forums!
    Keep something in mind, the app developers will need to integrate the ability to move the app to the SD card. If they don't, the update won't change things.
    Aquila likes this.
    07-08-2013 09:21 AM
    Samsung has released the update, but your carrier has to run the update through QA and release it themselves before you'll be able to install it via standard methods. Depending on your carrier, it may take a while (if you're on Verizon in the US, for example). Generally, carriers (at least in the US) don't provide specific info as to when updates will be released -- your best bet is just to check every now and then.

You will NOT need to be rooted to get the update, in fact, as several folks here have noted, you will most likely need to not be rooted to get it.

Formerly "Evo_girl"

It depends. Sometimes if the only thing you've done is root the phone, OTA updates will still work. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they attempt to install then fail then break stuff, remove root or simply brick the phone. I haven't tried myself or seen reports on this particular phone or update to say with any certainty what to expect in this instance.

If you've taken the time to root your phone, you should take the time to learn how to manage updates yourself, and in general you should avoid installing any OTA updates pushed by your carrier.
    07-08-2013 09:35 AM
    Samsung has released the update, but your carrier has to run the update through QA and release it themselves before you'll be able to install it via standard methods. Depending on your carrier, it may take a while (if you're on Verizon in the US, for example). Generally, carriers (at least in the US) don't provide specific info as to when updates will be released -- your best bet is just to check every now and then.

You will NOT need to be rooted to get the update, in fact, as several folks here have noted, you will most likely need to not be rooted to get it.

It depends. Sometimes if the only thing you've done is root the phone, OTA updates will still work. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they attempt to install then fail then break stuff, remove root or simply brick the phone. I haven't tried myself or seen reports on this particular phone or update to say with any certainty what to expect in this instance.

If you've taken the time to root your phone, you should take the time to learn how to manage updates yourself, and in general you should avoid installing any OTA updates pushed by your carrier.
    I didn't bought my phone from a carrier. To get the latest firmware, I download the firmware and flash it.

07-08-2013 09:58 AM
    I didn't bought my phone from a carrier. To get the latest firmware, I download the firmware and flash it.

That part of my comment was directed more at the OP, and also why I added, "in the US", as most people here buy their phones through their cell phone carrier, and not directly through the manufacturer.
    07-08-2013 10:07 AM
    That part of my comment was directed more at the OP, and also why I added, "in the US", as most people here buy their phones through their cell phone carrier, and not directly through the manufacturer.
    Oh I see. But don't carriers put all sorts of bloat wares in your device?

07-08-2013 10:17 AM
    Oh I see. But don't carriers put all sorts of bloat wares in your device?

It depends on the carrier, but yes, often they will add sponsored apps to the OS. While most folks don't care for this, there's not much that can be done because in many cases you can't activate phones on their networks unless you buy it through them.
    07-08-2013 11:49 AM
    It depends on the carrier, but yes, often they will add sponsored apps to the OS. While most folks don't care for this, there's not much that can be done because in many cases you can't activate phones on their networks unless you buy it through them.
    Interesting. I don't have such a carrier locks in my country so I don't actually have much knowledge about it. All I know is that those carrier phones have a locked bootloader, haha.

07-08-2013 12:27 PM
    Will this Samsung update also give us the ability to use lock screen widgets while the phone is locked with a pattern, PIN, or password?
    j510 likes this.
    07-08-2013 01:49 PM
    07-08-2013 04:20 PM
    @paindrinkingpete

What about if your factory unlocked a d no carrier?

Sent from my GT-I9500
    07-08-2013 04:29 PM
    What about if your factory unlocked a d no carrier?

Sent from my GT-I9500
    Then you should be able to apply the update now.

I can't tell you how, but I'm sure that info is out there if you search here or try Google.
    07-08-2013 04:31 PM
    I hope it come for AT&T soon.
    j510 likes this.
    07-08-2013 05:05 PM

I guess I was thinking of the NOTIFICATION... which is annoying as hell. And you WILL get the notification, incessantly... Unless the s4 is different?

Formerly "Evo_girl"
    07-08-2013 11:33 PM
    I guess I was thinking of the NOTIFICATION... which is annoying as hell. And you WILL get the notification, incessantly... Unless the s4 is different?

Formerly "Evo_girl"

07-09-2013 08:36 AM
    The update is now out for Sprint S4. That is if you did not root it.

sent from Galaxy S4
    Techeasy ABC
    07-09-2013 11:25 AM
    The update is now out for Sprint S4. That is if you did not root it.

sent from Galaxy S4
    Techeasy ABC
    Some folks over on the Verizon sub-forum have seen the update come through on Kies as well...
    07-09-2013 11:37 AM
40 12