I have AT&T S4 and i've been trying to disable bloatware on it. I have 32gb version so don't really care about memory. I'm more concerned about RAM being eaten up too much. Right now it looks like I have 0.98GB used RAM and 819MB free RAM. I would like to keep my used RAM down even more if I can...

Now the main question. What is this Smartchip Application on this phone? I want to disable it in Application Manager but afraid that it's actually something needed by the phone... Any idea is greatly appreciated.

By the way, should I root my phone to free more RAM (just RAM, I don't care about memory since I still have loads)? As far as I know, rooting gives me super user access and thus able to actually delete bloatware instead of just disabling them. But if disabling them is already stopping them from using RAM then I guess I don't need to root my phone...

Can someone point me to a list of bloatware that I can safely disable on my phone? Perhaps too much to ask for, but if that list has explanation on what each app does, it'll be even more wonderful

Thanks.
    07-08-2013 03:16 PM
    I have AT&T S4 and i've been trying to disable bloatware on it. I have 32gb version so don't really care about memory. I'm more concerned about RAM being eaten up too much. Right now it looks like I have 0.98GB used RAM and 819MB free RAM. I would like to keep my used RAM down even more if I can...

Now the main question. What is this Smartchip Application on this phone? I want to disable it in Application Manager but afraid that it's actually something needed by the phone... Any idea is greatly appreciated.

By the way, should I root my phone to free more RAM (just RAM, I don't care about memory since I still have loads)? As far as I know, rooting gives me super user access and thus able to actually delete bloatware instead of just disabling them. But if disabling them is already stopping them from using RAM then I guess I don't need to root my phone...

Can someone point me to a list of bloatware that I can safely disable on my phone? Perhaps too much to ask for, but if that list has explanation on what each app does, it'll be even more wonderful

Thanks.
    Honestly if you are having almost a gigabyte free of ram, you aren't going to get much more by disabling any other option. Most cases I have about 300-400 megabytes free.

By the way there is a list of what you can safely disable over on XDA forums and how to disable it without rooting.
    07-08-2013 04:34 PM
    Honestly if you are having almost a gigabyte free of ram, you aren't going to get much more by disabling any other option. Most cases I have about 300-400 megabytes free.

By the way there is a list of what you can safely disable over on XDA forums and how to disable it without rooting.
    Sorry, i'm new to this whole android thing... where is that XDA forum?
    07-10-2013 10:25 AM
    Sofr80,

This might be a good place for you to visit.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2259

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    07-10-2013 11:58 AM
    thank you! it'll be a place to start reading up... urgh
    07-10-2013 01:27 PM