When you have a new galaxy s4, you first have to fully charge the battery to 100%. Do you have to leave it to charge more afterwards? Because i heard somewhere that it expands battery life or something. And also that after the first use, you should let the battery become entirely empty before you charge it again. Are these two statements true? Thanks.
    07-09-2013 07:44 AM
    Charge it to 100% right away when you get it. You dont really want to drain ever it to 0%, although doing so once in awhile shouldn't hurt the batteries life too much. Try to keep your phone off the charger as much as possible; if you can take it off the charger as soon as you hit 100% and charge it to a up when you hit around 20 to 30 % you should keep your battery healthy for longer. Also, try to avoid exposing your battery (and phone) to excessive heat (dont leave it in a car, ect).

Posted via Android Central App
    07-09-2013 08:07 AM
    When you have a new galaxy s4, you first have to fully charge the battery to 100%. Do you have to leave it to charge more afterwards? Because i heard somewhere that it expands battery life or something. And also that after the first use, you should let the battery become entirely empty before you charge it again. Are these two statements true? Thanks.
    Leaving it on the charger once it reaches 100 percent does nothing. It's neither good or bad since the current stops going to your device at 100 percent. Your battery does not have a memory so letting it get low(under 20 percent) will only shorten the life of the battery. Deep discharges kill a battery faster than frequent shorter charges. Another words if you are around 50 percent and are near a charger go ahead and plug in. It is best to leave your battery above 20 percent and below 80 percent. If you maintain it in that range you will prolong the life of your battery.
    garublador likes this.
    07-09-2013 08:33 AM
    Leaving it on the charger once it reaches 100 percent does nothing. It's neither good or bad since the current stops going to your device at 100 percent.
    I'd actually argue that it's good because at that point you aren't draining your battery. Charging the battery is where most of the wear comes from and the more time that is spent where the phone isn't using battery, the less it will need to be charged. So the actual act of leaving it at 100% has no effect on wear, but the side effect of your battery not needing to be charged as much will have some positive effect.

Either way, if you have a removable battery and $20 it probably doesn't matter. Charge when it's convenient, don't purposefully not charge it, and if it wears out buy a new one. I've found that in recent years the batteries in phones are for the most part pretty good. That's why so many phones are able to get away with not having removable batteries. If they were easy to ruin in a year they'd be up to their yin-yangs in warranty claims and companies generally don't like that.
    benhmadison likes this.
    07-09-2013 09:12 AM
    I treat my battery as bad as I can. I want to show it who's boss so it doesn't slack off.
    Or in other words I plug it in whenever I want and unplug when needed. I really just don't care to engage in battery folklore. If I had an iPhone it might be a different story.
    Photon4glover likes this.
    07-09-2013 12:13 PM
    That post just made my day! Thank you is much!
    07-09-2013 01:14 PM