Wi-Fi on when turned off, keeps trying to connect.

FastNOC

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I am going crazy with this phone. I LOVE the droid after being a forced IPhone sheep for years. but some things i can't quite figure out.

Something on this thing keeps forcing wifi to turn on. I don't want it to do this. I want to enable wifi only when i want to use it. I don't want it automatically connecting to att wifi areas, and i don't want it to just 'pop' on.

Currenly, even with wifi turned OFF, i get constant popups of connection failures, that it keeps wanting me to connect, and says it failed. i cancel the message out,then go into settings, sure enough, wifi is completely turned off....

Then i get the popup again. i cannot even describe how annoying this is. i dont want to use wifi, ever, unless i manually turn it on. I also downloaded this 'better wifi' app that doesn't fix the problem at all.

1. I can't figure out what is forcing wifi on, but i want to stab it in the face,
2. if i have wifi turned off, i dont wan it to ever, under any circumstances, try to connect without me doing it.

is this possible? i'm sure this is purely my fault, and i did something stupid, i just can't figure out what i did.

FYI this is a new Galaxy S4, The new love of my life

Last edited:

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I?m only replying in sympathy, not with a solution I?m afraid.

I had exactly the same problem with my XT890 and the only way I could stop it was by re-starting the phone, which was fine until the next time I connected to wifi and it would start all over again. At the time I was also using a separate wifi widget but uninstalling it made no difference.

Thankfully I only had to endure this for a few days and my suspicion is that it was resolved by my uninstalling one of (many!) apps I had been trialling, but that is little more than a guess. It may be worth checking to see what permissions any new installed apps may have, but further than that sadly I can?t be of any more help.

Hope you get it sorted because I do feel your pain!.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I am going crazy with this phone. I LOVE the droid after being a forced IPhone sheep for years. but some things i can't quite figure out.

Something on this thing keeps forcing wifi to turn on. I don't want it to do this. I want to enable wifi only when i want to use it. I don't want it automatically connecting to att wifi areas, and i don't want it to just 'pop' on.

Currenly, even with wifi turned OFF, i get constant popups of connection failures, that it keeps wanting me to connect, and says it failed. i cancel the message out,then go into settings, sure enough, wifi is completely turned off....

Then i get the popup again. i cannot even describe how annoying this is. i dont want to use wifi, ever, unless i manually turn it on. I also downloaded this 'better wifi' app that doesn't fix the problem at all.

1. I can't figure out what is forcing wifi on, but i want to stab it in the face,
2. if i have wifi turned off, i dont wan it to ever, under any circumstances, try to connect without me doing it.

is this possible? i'm sure this is purely my fault, and i did something stupid, i just can't figure out what i did.

FYI this is a new Galaxy S4, The new love of my life

First off, welcome! You will love the phone and all of the wonderful things you can do with it. The device comes preset to automatically connect to AT&T wifi hotspots. If you go to wifi settings, there should be an option to not automatically connect to AT&T hotspots.

FastNOC

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
oh yeah, i'm familiar with that, it turned that off the first day i had the phone. i've disabled wifi everywhere i can find.

not only that, I have 3 different wifi networks in my home. i can connect to one, and it will continually fall off and say 'disabled' even though it's not, i try connected to the 2.4ghz side, or the 5ghz. same problem. i try connecting using wps, same problem. all 3 routers, all 3 the same thing so i'm 100% sure it's a problem with the phone, but i cxan't figure it out.

i go through and 'forget' all networks, then just get that popup over and over and over.

if this isn't fixable i'm not sure what i'm going to do. i also have a galaxy note ii but it doesnt seem to do this. the versions of o/s are one pr different, so i'm wondering if there's a problem in the 4.2.2 build of Jelly bean

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Just make sure you go into Settings>Connections>Wifi and make sure it's off and all options below are unchecked.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
1. Are you using the Samsung BatteryGuru app?

2. In the AT&T Smart WIFI app, if you set it to any option other than the lowest setting, it'll keep turning wifi on. I eventually killed the AT&T Smart WIFI app.

FastNOC

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Forced iPhone sheep? So I'm a sheep for owning an iPhone? Don't follow your logic.

I dont know, are you :)? I was was refering to being forced to use it because our company requires them. well they did, until a few months ago, the same day i went and bought two Galazy Note IIs

2. In the AT&T Smart WIFI app, if you set it to any option other than the lowest setting, it'll keep turning wifi on. I eventually killed the AT&T Smart WIFI app.

I can't figure out how to remove anything. here's the kicker, I'm a programmer, but have never been too intrerested in the phones. I think most of stems from the fact that i had ot use an iPhone for so long, and disliked it greatly. once i got the galaxy Note II I fell in love with Android. that's my first one. now I picked up an S4 and will be sticking with droid bsaed phones from here forward, njo question.

Anyway, as a programmer you'd think i'd not have problems like this, but since i have very little experience with Droids, it's a learning curve. I am sure i'll figure out more, but i'm thrilled overall. to be honest, it really only happens at home. Can you please point out how i uninstall that stuff? to me and my limited smartphone knowledge, it apepars the ATT apps were packaged with the phone built into the O/S, hence I can't uninstll the ATT/Samsung apps. I would LOVE to find out how. I suppose i'll need to root the phone, but at this point that would be a last resort, as the older i get the more lazy i get :)

The only options i see are the ones to uninstall the 'updates' but the core apps i don't see a way to remove.

EDIT: Correction. I am incorrect. I had never even opened the app before, but when i did, it asked me i iwanted to continue, and i saw the link to the uninstall. i thought that only uninstalled updtes. PRs or whatever they call them. but not the core app. however, according to the page it had a link to remove which took me back to the play store, and ure enough there was an uninstall. so i guess my rant about the bloatware was only partially valid, since you can in fact uninstall 'some' apps. just not **** which i can't.

Last edited:

FastNOC

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

thanks for the response, i missed it somehow.

i'm not using that progrm, but am familiar with it. I honestly don't use that many apps right now, but only because i've been so burried i just simply haven't had time to reallyl put this thing together the way i want.

FastNOC

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
By the way, I have removed the att app (i think) and will monitor progress. i'll follow up and let you know if that was the problem. hopefully it can help someone else.

things like this are why i love forums. thanks everyone

cwood07

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a VERIZON Samsung Galaxy S3 and I am having major issues with my Wi-Fi as well. Mine wants to turn off and on while in use, interrupting backups, downloads, etc. It will randomly turn off and begin using 4G, then a few seconds later, kick back to my wi-fi. I have looked at a number of forums, googled the issue many times, and nothing seems to work....Please, any suggestions!?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the response, i missed it somehow.

i'm not using that progrm, but am familiar with it. I honestly don't use that many apps right now, but only because i've been so burried i just simply haven't had time to reallyl put this thing together the way i want.

Almost ALL of the AT&T stuff, I selected in the App Manager settings and clicked "Disable". The only one I left alone was the AT&T Hotspot.. that way if my WIFI *happens* to be on, it'll auto connect to the AT&T hotspots.. other than that, messenges, familylocator, smart wifi, all that junk is Disabled.

TeddyTrons

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem, ended up disabling ATT Smart Wifi then eventually uninstalling it all together. Problem solved...

Posted via Android Central App

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have a VERIZON Samsung Galaxy S3 and I am having major issues with my Wi-Fi as well. Mine wants to turn off and on while in use, interrupting backups, downloads, etc. It will randomly turn off and begin using 4G, then a few seconds later, kick back to my wi-fi. I have looked at a number of forums, googled the issue many times, and nothing seems to work....Please, any suggestions!?

Does this happen everywhere, or just on a particular network (i.e. at your home)? It's hard to tell given your symptoms if it's the phone or the router it is connecting to. There are some other threads I've seen here with folks having some issues with certain routers (mostly D-Link, I think), so maybe that's that the issue?

What I'd do is try manually setting the wifi channel on your router, if you haven't already...sometimes when set to auto it will cause disconnects if the router is frequently changing channels due to outside interference (I recommend always using channel 1, 11, or 6).

If that's not it, does the disconnection happen often enough that you could disable your routers security to test and see if that "fixes" it? You could also check to make sure you're router is running the most recent firmware version.

FastNOC

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure this issue was fixed when i unistalled the att wifi app.

SO relieved. Thanks everyone. if there's any change i'll follow up

Nick183

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the Sprint S4 but try going to settings > Wi-Fi (actually click on Wi-Fi, not just turn it off) then click on Smart mode, it will go to a new screen and then in the top right you can move the slider to off.

Hope this helps! It seems to be working on mine. I like you was about to throw my phone out the window it was pissing me off so much.

vinnie27

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh SNAPS. I had the same problem, which landed me here but I just figured it out.

Settings>Wi-Fi>hit menu button and go to Advance>Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep and check NEVER!

vinnie27

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh SNAPS. I had the same problem, which landed me here but I just figured it out.

Settings>Wi-Fi>hit menu button and go to Advance>Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep and check NEVER!

Never mind damn thing turned itself on again...

Real solution foreals this time

Settings>More Settings>Mobile networks>Connections optimizer>Uncheck box that says "automatically select best mobile network"

Sliventh Bent

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi...I'm also got the same problem with my samsung android, I just noticed it yesterday...did you found out real solution...this is so annoying plus more battery consumption...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7