I just downloaded the recent update from at&t which allows me to "move to sd" certain apps. AC Forums was one, Feedly was another along with many more. I came to the S4 from a One X and had iPhone's before that so I have never had this opportunity before.
    I noticed that not all apps can be moved but of the ones that can, is there any reason not to? Will they perform the same on sd?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-09-2013 08:28 PM
    I just downloaded the recent update from at&t which allows me to "move to sd" certain apps. AC Forums was one, Feedly was another along with many more. I came to the S4 from a One X and had iPhone's before that so I have never had this opportunity before.
    I noticed that not all apps can be moved but of the ones that can, is there any reason not to? Will they perform the same on sd?

Some apps can't be moved because of either specific permissions they need to operate correctly (like the "boot completed" perm - it notifies the app when boot has completed to start a service from the app or the app itself), or because they would break something in the app, like "widgets".

Basically when you put an app on your sdcard, it moves all of the data for that app to your sdcard, while the "host" application remains on your phone. It's able to do so because it creates a simlink between the data on the sdcard and the app on the phone. I personally am strongly against this myself. Mainly because if your sdcard unmounts during use (shutting your phone off then removing it is okay) or becomes formatted/corrupted in some way all of your apps won't function because they will be missing their data.
    07-09-2013 09:11 PM
    So then if I make a copy of the SD card and save it on my pc, then the SD card goes corrupt, would I be able to copy the backup to a new SD card and am good to go? It seems that would be the reason for the backup but there's something nipping at me making me think it may not be so smooth.
    07-09-2013 09:24 PM
    This used to be standard on Samsung phones and maybe other brands. I would not do it unless you need to free up space on your internal storage or for large data apps. I can remember sometimes when I would start up my phone some of my apps on SD would be missing and another reboot and they would be there etc. One of the reasons I wanted the 32GB model. I do not plan on using it. Just my opinion. I am content to use use my SD card for Photos, videos and music.
    07-09-2013 09:24 PM
    Also, (sorry if I'm hijacking your thread but I need some extra understanding too), is or would it be possible to store the app or game on the SD card but Not have it installed on the phone. Like let's say I downloaded the Iron Man 3 game but don't play it anymore but might want to in the future but don't want to re-download it. Could it be uninstalled from the phone but saved on the SD card for future re-installation?
    07-09-2013 10:01 PM

The developer have to make the app to save on the SDcard like facebook doesn't save to sd. Also yes it will perform the same there is no slow down in opening or closing apps
    07-10-2013 07:06 AM
    The developer have to make the app to save on the SDcard like facebook doesn't save to sd. Also yes it will perform the same there is no slow down in opening or closing apps
    Facebook just updated to allow saving to SD, but only on 2.3.7 or lower, what a bummer.
    07-10-2013 07:07 AM
    Also, it seems that the app only partially installs on sd. Looking at "storage" an app that has been moved to sd still uses some internal storage though it is much less.

07-10-2013 02:53 PM
    Facebook just updated to allow saving to SD, but only on 2.3.7 or lower, what a bummer.
    Oh man that is a bummer you know having FB on my SDcard would help me a lot.
    07-10-2013 04:37 PM