08-17-2016 09:32 AM
117 1234 ...
tools
    Get better battery stats. It is a good battery monitoring app.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.
    I use GSam Battery Monitor but the idea is the same. You won't be able to diagnose the problem unless you know what's using the battery.

Installing something like Wakelock Detector isn't a bad idea, either. It can tell you what apps are waking up the processor the most.
    07-10-2013 01:19 PM
    I don't buy people saying they are getting all-day or day and a half battery life from this phone. I can barely make it through my work day. 30 minutes before I leave work, I need to plug it in. I listen to podcasts and music for all the day and check some apps like twitter/facebook from time to time. I'm beginning to think that people that say Android is better than iPhone is in complete denial. I buy a smartphone to perform like a smartphone - to to turn every damn thing off and one when I need it. I shouldn't have to worry about that. I'm not a tinkerer. I never had to worry about battery life on my iPhone, that's for sure.
    I can easily get a full day on a single charge. For example, I unplugged my phone at 6:30 am this morning. Right now after reading some emails, listening to music via BT, I'm at 90% battery life. When I get home at 6, I'm betting I'll be at maybe 80%.

I don't use the phone to play games, I don't hassle with rooting, I keep wi-fi and BT on the whole time and I don't have power saver turned on.
    Hashem El Garhy likes this.
    07-10-2013 01:28 PM
    What was the battery life situation before rooting, "freezing" a bunch of apps, and changing every setting on the phone? Sounds to me like there's been a lot done to the phone from stock and it's not going to be easy for someone to know off hand what the issue is.

And I fully support everyone who actually uses the features of the phone and who don't accept turning every good thing these phones have off as a "fix". Good to see more people being vocal with that opinion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-10-2013 02:03 PM
    OP -- Did you turn background syncing (FB, twitter, etc) off? Those can be huge drains. If you can't easily figure it out, do a factory reset. If the battery drains like that after, it's no doubt hardware. If it doesn't, it's software/configuration/something you did
    07-10-2013 02:17 PM
    My bet is all the messing with the phone (rooting) is the cause. One of the many reasons I don't mess with rooting.
    07-10-2013 03:23 PM
    I get about a day an a half with all my features on and screen on bright. What I do to keep the batttery like new is let my phone fall all thw way to 1% then charge till 100% let it say fully charge and leave it charging for some more. It helps
    That is not good for your battery. If you need to drain it that low then you don't have a choice but if you are running the battery out for some other reason other than necessity then you're actually decreasing the total number of charge cycles your battery will be able to go through.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    tvouge likes this.
    07-10-2013 03:32 PM
    Here's the thing, there's obviously something wrong with the phone, battery, or OS.

Brightness, Facebook syncing, or location settings aren't going to double or triple the OP's battery life; something isn't working properly. Factory reset or RMA the device.
    johnriii likes this.
    07-10-2013 04:14 PM
    Your phones a lemon. I get awesome battery life.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-10-2013 04:17 PM
    That is not good for your battery. If you need to drain it that low then you don't have a choice but if you are running the battery out for some other reason other than necessity then you're actually decreasing the total number of charge cycles your battery will be able to go through.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    An oem battery is $30 bucks and is bound to last you a year.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-10-2013 04:18 PM
    I don't buy people saying they are getting all-day or day and a half battery life from this phone. I can barely make it through my work day. 30 minutes before I leave work, I need to plug it in. I listen to podcasts and music for all the day and check some apps like twitter/facebook from time to time. I'm beginning to think that people that say Android is better than iPhone is in complete denial. I buy a smartphone to perform like a smartphone - to to turn every damn thing off and one when I need it. I shouldn't have to worry about that. I'm not a tinkerer. I never had to worry about battery life on my iPhone, that's for sure.
    Well, listening to music on it all day will drain the battery...

As far as not "buying" it? I assure you that I always get at least a full day out of this phone...and I don't disable a damn thing. I'm honestly not sure what I could possibly be doing differently than other folks, but I've been VERY happy with the battery on this phone. I do have Battery Guru installed, but that's about it for power saving measures...
    I hate my new Galaxy S4 .. Battery life drains 1% every MINUTE of use.-screenshot_2013-06-21-20-05-01.jpg

rooted, running CleanROM
    07-10-2013 04:26 PM
    Before everyone condems the phone, and the root, lets look at something else.

Are you using a exchange email account? If so, is it set to push for peak and off peak?

Reason: Both my note2 and s3, stock, stock rooted or rommed, my exchange account kills battery life constanly, and the phone would get hot as well.

If this is the case, set the push settings to "5 minutes" for both peak and off peak.

Ironically, my note8.0 has no issues on push.....

Let us know if this is or is not the case

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    07-10-2013 04:30 PM
    How the heck is your screen using only 21%. Mine is 1/3 of the way up and I'm using 50-60%?? I never see it less than this.

Maps and the Nike running up are using 15 and 10% respectively. I tried closing task via multi-tasking, stopping them, fore stopping, etc. but they won't go away.
    07-10-2013 04:34 PM
    Well, listening to music on it all day will drain the battery...

As far as not "buying" it? I assure you that I always get at least a full day out of this phone...and I don't disable a damn thing. I'm honestly not sure what I could possibly be doing differently than other folks, but I've been VERY happy with the battery on this phone. I do have Battery Guru installed, but that's about it for power saving measures...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-06-21-20-05-01.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	73595

rooted, running CleanROM
    How much on screen time?
    07-10-2013 04:39 PM
    I wanted a great camera and good battery life.
    Apple provided neither and my research only showed amazing results from this phone.

If you can pay $600 for a dodge viper or a mini van.. Would you buy the Note2 or the dodge viper?
    So you paid 600 dollars for an Android devise because you wanted to avoid the annoyances that your apple device gave you? Now you want to go back to apple? Maybe you just picked the wrong Android. Whats wrong with trading yours in for a Note2, or an HTC One? There is a lot more to choose from here. But maybe you would rather just accept the annoyances from apple.
    07-10-2013 05:39 PM
    Exactly how I feel now.. I was a heavy user on my iphone and it barely got through half a day.. But im finding this phone im barely getting through half the day with extremely light use.
    Im not bashing the phone, im asking for help. But I dont blame myself for this.. Search "Galaxy s4 battery life" on youtube or google and 10s of articles will come up with bigtime tech blog stating "I got 8 hours of surfing use before needing a recharge!"
    I just want to know if theres some giant conspiracy of bloggers being paid to spew that BS or I got a lemon..
    07-10-2013 05:42 PM
    I wanted a great camera and good battery life.
    Apple provided neither and my research only showed amazing results from this phone.

If you can pay $600 for a dodge viper or a mini van.. Would you buy the Note2 or the dodge viper?
    Just to be clear, you researched all current android phones and found the S4 to have the best promise of a GREAT camera, and battery life?
    johnriii likes this.
    07-10-2013 05:57 PM
    Exactly how I feel now.. I was a heavy user on my iphone and it barely got through half a day.. But im finding this phone im barely getting through half the day with extremely light use.
    Im not bashing the phone, im asking for help. But I dont blame myself for this.. Search "Galaxy s4 battery life" on youtube or google and 10s of articles will come up with bigtime tech blog stating "I got 8 hours of surfing use before needing a recharge!"
    I just want to know if theres some giant conspiracy of bloggers being paid to spew that BS or I got a lemon..
    There's not, you got a dud device or some things wrong with the battery. Enough people have seen good-great results to establish that your case is an outlier. The idea theres some conspiracy is just silly. When you hear hoof beats, see hoof prints... Look for horses, not zebras.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-10-2013 06:29 PM
    That being said...what's the signal strength in the areas you're using your phone in most...is it flipping from 3g to LTE frequently? What do you have syncing? Exchange account...did you login to the Samsung Facebook app...are you auto uploading pictures to Google+ over cell (back to signal strength), etc....

07-10-2013 06:34 PM
    Razer had the best battery, poor camera.
    HTC had OK battery, OK camera but non of the cool gadgets of this phone.

But I dont think you are trying to debate or asking questions. You are trying to start crap or make me accept blame.
    I will accept when im wrong.. but

Let me google that for you

Search for yourself
    Just to be clear, you researched all current android phones and found the S4 to have the best promise of a GREAT camera, and battery life?
    07-10-2013 06:48 PM
    I dont use facebook or twitter or any peer app.
    I do not even have an email on the phone other than for the play store..
    That being said...what's the signal strength in the areas you're using your phone in most...is it flipping from 3g to LTE frequently? What do you have syncing? Exchange account...did you login to the Samsung Facebook app...are you auto uploading pictures to Google+ over cell (back to signal strength), etc....

Thanks for the help all.
    In the end I will have to just deal with it. I have done to much work to reformat this sucker and start from scratch and I need my phone to doing a warranty is impossible.

I wont blame android or anyone but this phone itself for the issue.. But im not happy with my switch. It seems I paid $600 for a somewhat better camera and a fancy screen, thats the only upgrade I got. I will take it as a lesson and next time I will "borrow" someones phone to try before I buy.
    07-10-2013 06:54 PM
    I dont use facebook or twitter or any peer app.
    I do not even have an email on the phone other than for the play store..

Thanks for the help all.
    In the end I will have to just deal with it. I have done to much work to reformat this sucker and start from scratch and I need my phone to doing a warranty is impossible.
    So can you post a battery graph for us? I'm at the point that if it's not a signal issue, it's not an app syncing...and you're not doing anything silly like trying to play some game for 4 hours straight....you might be right, it might be something cocked up during the root process.

Something I noted above that "tech bloggers are seeing eight hours of browsing" and I wanted too point out that most of them are doing browsing stress tests with the device to get a pure number with a synthetic test method...take that for what it's worth and a huge grain of salt.

Also, where did you buy the phone for $600 that you can't just return it for another? Hopefully not off eBay where the likelihood that you got someone's did device in the first place, is very high?

07-10-2013 07:12 PM

Thanks for the help all.
    In the end I will have to just deal with it. I have done to much work to reformat this sucker and start from scratch.
    Also, this is one of those "welcome to android" items...factory resetting requires no real effort on your part...in fact, if you setup your device to backup to Google...when you log back in....the applications should restore themselves.... All you'd have to do is drag icons back to your home screen again...not exactly Mt Everest.

That is unless you went out and found a bunch of cracked .apks so you didn't pay for apps...in which case, I can assure you the problem lies there in some malicious piece of software.

07-10-2013 07:18 PM
    How much on screen time?
    I honestly don't remember, but this was taken on a Saturday evening I believe (I took the screen shot 2-3 weeks ago), and of course 8-10 of hours that I had been asleep the night before and not using the phone at all. In general, I don't use my phone as much on weekends when I'm out and about than I do during the week when I'm stuck in my office...but I had been using quite a bit that day.

None the less, I was shocked that I was about to make it an entire 24 hours with more than 50% still remaining, which is why I took the screen shot. On an "average" day for me, I charge my phone up to 100% in the evening, and unplug it before I go to bed bed...and it lasts the entire next day until I start the cycle over again, but usually is much, MUCH lower than 61% when I go to plug it in.
    07-10-2013 08:21 PM
    Sadly yes I got it off ebay.
    Bestbuy wanted $750 for the phone.
    Walmart did not have them in stock and also wanted a similar price.
    Tmobile refused to sell me a phone without a 2 year contract.

I did not even bother with AT&T.

I purchased the phone as "Factory unlocked".
    Of course when I got it, it was a tmobile phone and I had to unlock it! However the seller is a cell phone shop and he sells many of these, so I am assuming and hoping it was not someones phone. It was BRAND new(as in not a fingerprint on it) when I got it.
    So can you post a battery graph for us? I'm at the point that if it's not a signal issue, it's not an app syncing...and you're not doing anything silly like trying to play some game for 4 hours straight....you might be right, it might be something cocked up during the root process.

Something I noted above that "tech bloggers are seeing eight hours of browsing" and I wanted too point out that most of them are doing browsing stress tests with the device to get a pure number with a synthetic test method...take that for what it's worth and a huge grain of salt.

Also, where did you buy the phone for $600 that you can't just return it for another? Hopefully not off eBay where the likelihood that you got someone's did device in the first place, is very high?

07-10-2013 09:25 PM
    Razer had the best battery, poor camera.
    HTC had OK battery, OK camera but non of the cool gadgets of this phone.

But I dont think you are trying to debate or asking questions. You are trying to start crap or make me accept blame.
    I will accept when im wrong.. but

Let me google that for you

Search for yourself
    Easy now, I was just trying to be clear on your priorities. My search for those things came up a little different, on three sites. I don't doubt your diligence. I still think with all the choices you have there must be one that meets your expectation or better yet you could return the s4 and try another s4. Easy peasy.
    07-10-2013 11:58 PM
117 1234 ...