I hate my new Galaxy S4 .. Battery life drains 1% every MINUTE of use.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: I hate my new Galaxy s4.. Battery life drains 1% every MINUTE of use.

Try installing a GE 4.2.2 ROM.

After putting it on my GS4 I don't think I could ever go back to a non GE type phone. I didn't use any of the Samsung stuff anyway.

This way you have the great hardware of the GS4 and the great ROM the way Google intended it to be.

What's the point of that relative to the OP's plight?

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

I agree with the hardware problem. Either bad phone or bad battery. You should at least make it through the day unless you are using it constantly. Look at settings and the meter will tell what is eating the juice

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I agree with the hardware problem. Either bad phone or bad battery. You should at least make it through the day unless you are using it constantly. Look at settings and the meter will tell what is eating the juice

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

He is also rooted so very well could be a software problem depending what he has installed.

I have always been against turning off a ton a features. A few? Sure if you'll never ever use em but if you will.. Turning them off is pointless. As others have said I got a smartphone for the functionality... Either charge it more and just accept that or since you guys have removable back invest in another battery and save yourself the tremendous headache of narrowing it down.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site

He is also rooted so very well could be a software problem depending what he has installed.

I have always been against turning off a ton a features. A few? Sure if you'll never ever use em but if you will.. Turning them off is pointless. As others have said I got a smartphone for the functionality... Either charge it more and just accept that or since you guys have removable back invest in another battery and save yourself the tremendous headache of narrowing it down.

I keep my GPS, sync, data, and whatever I expect to use on. I never ever turn those off. I also previously stated if I wanted a dumb phone I would buy one so I refuse to throttle features that constantly use. There is absolutely no point in keeping features on if I never use them. I do charge mine twice a day. That is also why I decided to buy a higher capacity battery to replace the stock. People can keep complaining about battery but having used Droid DNA, iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4s, and 5. With constant use draining is inevitable. But this phone is the one phone that I can actually replace the battery with a high capacity one.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I keep my GPS, sync, data, and whatever I expect to use on. I never ever turn those off. I also previously stated if I wanted a dumb phone I would buy one so I refuse to throttle features that constantly use. There is absolutely no point in keeping features on if I never use them. I do charge mine twice a day. That is also why I decided to buy a higher capacity battery to replace the stock. People can keep complaining about battery but having used Droid DNA, iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4s, and 5. With constant use draining is inevitable. But this phone is the one phone that I can actually replace the battery with a high capacity one.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I am like you. All running and I just charge as needed. Usually have to charge some during mid day to last... But I stream all day and am on the phone a lot so I agree.. It's inevitable to have drain.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

Get better battery stats. It is a good battery monitoring app.

I use GSam Battery Monitor but the idea is the same. You won't be able to diagnose the problem unless you know what's using the battery.

Installing something like Wakelock Detector isn't a bad idea, either. It can tell you what apps are waking up the processor the most.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I don't buy people saying they are getting all-day or day and a half battery life from this phone. I can barely make it through my work day. 30 minutes before I leave work, I need to plug it in. I listen to podcasts and music for all the day and check some apps like twitter/facebook from time to time. I'm beginning to think that people that say Android is better than iPhone is in complete denial. I buy a smartphone to perform like a smartphone - to to turn every damn thing off and one when I need it. I shouldn't have to worry about that. I'm not a tinkerer. I never had to worry about battery life on my iPhone, that's for sure.

I can easily get a full day on a single charge. For example, I unplugged my phone at 6:30 am this morning. Right now after reading some emails, listening to music via BT, I'm at 90% battery life. When I get home at 6, I'm betting I'll be at maybe 80%.

I don't use the phone to play games, I don't hassle with rooting, I keep wi-fi and BT on the whole time and I don't have power saver turned on.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

What was the battery life situation before rooting, "freezing" a bunch of apps, and changing every setting on the phone? Sounds to me like there's been a lot done to the phone from stock and it's not going to be easy for someone to know off hand what the issue is.

And I fully support everyone who actually uses the features of the phone and who don't accept turning every good thing these phones have off as a "fix". Good to see more people being vocal with that opinion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

OP -- Did you turn background syncing (FB, twitter, etc) off? Those can be huge drains. If you can't easily figure it out, do a factory reset. If the battery drains like that after, it's no doubt hardware. If it doesn't, it's software/configuration/something you did :)

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

My bet is all the messing with the phone (rooting) is the cause. One of the many reasons I don't mess with rooting.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site

I get about a day an a half with all my features on and screen on bright. What I do to keep the batttery like new is let my phone fall all thw way to 1% then charge till 100% let it say fully charge and leave it charging for some more. It helps

That is not good for your battery. If you need to drain it that low then you don't have a choice but if you are running the battery out for some other reason other than necessity then you're actually decreasing the total number of charge cycles your battery will be able to go through.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Here's the thing, there's obviously something wrong with the phone, battery, or OS.

Brightness, Facebook syncing, or location settings aren't going to double or triple the OP's battery life; something isn't working properly. Factory reset or RMA the device.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Your phones a lemon. I get awesome battery life.
ezeju3um.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

That is not good for your battery. If you need to drain it that low then you don't have a choice but if you are running the battery out for some other reason other than necessity then you're actually decreasing the total number of charge cycles your battery will be able to go through.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

An oem battery is $30 bucks and is bound to last you a year.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I don't buy people saying they are getting all-day or day and a half battery life from this phone. I can barely make it through my work day. 30 minutes before I leave work, I need to plug it in. I listen to podcasts and music for all the day and check some apps like twitter/facebook from time to time. I'm beginning to think that people that say Android is better than iPhone is in complete denial. I buy a smartphone to perform like a smartphone - to to turn every damn thing off and one when I need it. I shouldn't have to worry about that. I'm not a tinkerer. I never had to worry about battery life on my iPhone, that's for sure.

Well, listening to music on it all day will drain the battery...

As far as not "buying" it? I assure you that I always get at least a full day out of this phone...and I don't disable a damn thing. I'm honestly not sure what I could possibly be doing differently than other folks, but I've been VERY happy with the battery on this phone. I do have Battery Guru installed, but that's about it for power saving measures...
Screenshot_2013-06-21-20-05-01.jpg

rooted, running CleanROM

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site

Before everyone condems the phone, and the root, lets look at something else.

Are you using a exchange email account? If so, is it set to push for peak and off peak?

Reason: Both my note2 and s3, stock, stock rooted or rommed, my exchange account kills battery life constanly, and the phone would get hot as well.

If this is the case, set the push settings to "5 minutes" for both peak and off peak.

Ironically, my note8.0 has no issues on push.....

Let us know if this is or is not the case

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

anon6136263

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

How the heck is your screen using only 21%. Mine is 1/3 of the way up and I'm using 50-60%?? I never see it less than this.

Maps and the Nike running up are using 15 and 10% respectively. I tried closing task via multi-tasking, stopping them, fore stopping, etc. but they won't go away.

Spartacus MD

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

Well, listening to music on it all day will drain the battery...

As far as not "buying" it? I assure you that I always get at least a full day out of this phone...and I don't disable a damn thing. I'm honestly not sure what I could possibly be doing differently than other folks, but I've been VERY happy with the battery on this phone. I do have Battery Guru installed, but that's about it for power saving measures...
View attachment 73595

rooted, running CleanROM

How much on screen time?

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

I wanted a great camera and good battery life.
Apple provided neither and my research only showed amazing results from this phone.

If you can pay $600 for a dodge viper or a mini van.. Would you buy the Note2 or the dodge viper?
So you paid 600 dollars for an Android devise because you wanted to avoid the annoyances that your apple device gave you? Now you want to go back to apple? Maybe you just picked the wrong Android. Whats wrong with trading yours in for a Note2, or an HTC One? There is a lot more to choose from here. But maybe you would rather just accept the annoyances from apple.

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Exactly how I feel now.. I was a heavy user on my iphone and it barely got through half a day.. But im finding this phone im barely getting through half the day with extremely light use.
Im not bashing the phone, im asking for help. But I dont blame myself for this.. Search "Galaxy s4 battery life" on youtube or google and 10s of articles will come up with bigtime tech blog stating "I got 8 hours of surfing use before needing a recharge!"
I just want to know if theres some giant conspiracy of bloggers being paid to spew that BS or I got a lemon..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki