I hate my new Galaxy S4 .. Battery life drains 1% every MINUTE of use.

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: I hate my new Galaxy s4.. Battery life drains 1% every MINUTE of use.

I wanted a great camera and good battery life.
Apple provided neither and my research only showed amazing results from this phone.

If you can pay $600 for a dodge viper or a mini van.. Would you buy the Note2 or the dodge viper?

Just to be clear, you researched all current android phones and found the S4 to have the best promise of a GREAT camera, and battery life?

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Exactly how I feel now.. I was a heavy user on my iphone and it barely got through half a day.. But im finding this phone im barely getting through half the day with extremely light use.
Im not bashing the phone, im asking for help. But I dont blame myself for this.. Search "Galaxy s4 battery life" on youtube or google and 10s of articles will come up with bigtime tech blog stating "I got 8 hours of surfing use before needing a recharge!"
I just want to know if theres some giant conspiracy of bloggers being paid to spew that BS or I got a lemon..

There's not, you got a dud device or some things wrong with the battery. Enough people have seen good-great results to establish that your case is an outlier. The idea theres some conspiracy is just silly. When you hear hoof beats, see hoof prints... Look for horses, not zebras.

Posted via Android Central App

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

That being said...what's the signal strength in the areas you're using your phone in most...is it flipping from 3g to LTE frequently? What do you have syncing? Exchange account...did you login to the Samsung Facebook app...are you auto uploading pictures to Google+ over cell (back to signal strength), etc....

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Razer had the best battery, poor camera.
HTC had OK battery, OK camera but non of the cool gadgets of this phone.

But I dont think you are trying to debate or asking questions. You are trying to start crap or make me accept blame.
I will accept when im wrong.. but

Let me google that for you

Search for yourself
Just to be clear, you researched all current android phones and found the S4 to have the best promise of a GREAT camera, and battery life?

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

I dont use facebook or twitter or any peer app.
I do not even have an email on the phone other than for the play store..
That being said...what's the signal strength in the areas you're using your phone in most...is it flipping from 3g to LTE frequently? What do you have syncing? Exchange account...did you login to the Samsung Facebook app...are you auto uploading pictures to Google+ over cell (back to signal strength), etc....

Thanks for the help all.
In the end I will have to just deal with it. I have done to much work to reformat this sucker and start from scratch and I need my phone to doing a warranty is impossible.

I wont blame android or anyone but this phone itself for the issue.. But im not happy with my switch. It seems I paid $600 for a somewhat better camera and a fancy screen, thats the only upgrade I got. I will take it as a lesson and next time I will "borrow" someones phone to try before I buy.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

I dont use facebook or twitter or any peer app.
I do not even have an email on the phone other than for the play store..

Thanks for the help all.
In the end I will have to just deal with it. I have done to much work to reformat this sucker and start from scratch and I need my phone to doing a warranty is impossible.

So can you post a battery graph for us? I'm at the point that if it's not a signal issue, it's not an app syncing...and you're not doing anything silly like trying to play some game for 4 hours straight....you might be right, it might be something cocked up during the root process.

Something I noted above that "tech bloggers are seeing eight hours of browsing" and I wanted too point out that most of them are doing browsing stress tests with the device to get a pure number with a synthetic test method...take that for what it's worth and a huge grain of salt.

Also, where did you buy the phone for $600 that you can't just return it for another? Hopefully not off eBay where the likelihood that you got someone's did device in the first place, is very high?

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the help all.
In the end I will have to just deal with it. I have done to much work to reformat this sucker and start from scratch.

Also, this is one of those "welcome to android" items...factory resetting requires no real effort on your part...in fact, if you setup your device to backup to Google...when you log back in....the applications should restore themselves.... All you'd have to do is drag icons back to your home screen again...not exactly Mt Everest.

That is unless you went out and found a bunch of cracked .apks so you didn't pay for apps...in which case, I can assure you the problem lies there in some malicious piece of software.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

How much on screen time?

I honestly don't remember, but this was taken on a Saturday evening I believe (I took the screen shot 2-3 weeks ago), and of course 8-10 of hours that I had been asleep the night before and not using the phone at all. In general, I don't use my phone as much on weekends when I'm out and about than I do during the week when I'm stuck in my office...but I had been using quite a bit that day.

None the less, I was shocked that I was about to make it an entire 24 hours with more than 50% still remaining, which is why I took the screen shot. On an "average" day for me, I charge my phone up to 100% in the evening, and unplug it before I go to bed bed...and it lasts the entire next day until I start the cycle over again, but usually is much, MUCH lower than 61% when I go to plug it in.

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Sadly yes I got it off ebay.
Bestbuy wanted $750 for the phone.
Walmart did not have them in stock and also wanted a similar price.
Tmobile refused to sell me a phone without a 2 year contract.

I did not even bother with AT&T.

I purchased the phone as "Factory unlocked".
Of course when I got it, it was a tmobile phone and I had to unlock it! However the seller is a cell phone shop and he sells many of these, so I am assuming and hoping it was not someones phone. It was BRAND new(as in not a fingerprint on it) when I got it.
So can you post a battery graph for us? I'm at the point that if it's not a signal issue, it's not an app syncing...and you're not doing anything silly like trying to play some game for 4 hours straight....you might be right, it might be something cocked up during the root process.

Something I noted above that "tech bloggers are seeing eight hours of browsing" and I wanted too point out that most of them are doing browsing stress tests with the device to get a pure number with a synthetic test method...take that for what it's worth and a huge grain of salt.

Also, where did you buy the phone for $600 that you can't just return it for another? Hopefully not off eBay where the likelihood that you got someone's did device in the first place, is very high?

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Razer had the best battery, poor camera.
HTC had OK battery, OK camera but non of the cool gadgets of this phone.

But I dont think you are trying to debate or asking questions. You are trying to start crap or make me accept blame.
I will accept when im wrong.. but

Let me google that for you

Search for yourself

Easy now, I was just trying to be clear on your priorities. My search for those things came up a little different, on three sites. I don't doubt your diligence. I still think with all the choices you have there must be one that meets your expectation or better yet you could return the s4 and try another s4. Easy peasy.

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Sadly yes I got it off ebay.
Bestbuy wanted $750 for the phone.
Walmart did not have them in stock and also wanted a similar price.
Tmobile refused to sell me a phone without a 2 year contract.

I did not even bother with AT&T.

I purchased the phone as "Factory unlocked".
Of course when I got it, it was a tmobile phone and I had to unlock it! However the seller is a cell phone shop and he sells many of these, so I am assuming and hoping it was not someones phone. It was BRAND new(as in not a fingerprint on it) when I got it.

EEEEEEEEEEEbay? Okay now I get it. You bought someone elses problems. Makes perfect sense. Aren't you glad you saved so much money?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well, listening to music on it all day will drain the battery...

As far as not "buying" it? I assure you that I always get at least a full day out of this phone...and I don't disable a damn thing. I'm honestly not sure what I could possibly be doing differently than other folks, but I've been VERY happy with the battery on this phone. I do have Battery Guru installed, but that's about it for power saving measures...
View attachment 73595

rooted, running CleanROM

I see your wifi is in your usage so you must be on wifi a lot yes? That helps a ton with battery life.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

EEEEEEEEEEEbay? Okay now I get it. You bought someone elses problems. Makes perfect sense. Aren't you glad you saved so much money?

Ouch! Yeah OP this could be your issue. I personally always buy new... That way I don't inherit someone else's issues and can always take it back if there are issues.

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

Once again... and I will underline it this time

The seller does nothing but sell cell phones, he had like 10 other S4's sell within a week of mine being purchased.
So unless this guy had REALLY bad problems with phones and just kept buying...(by all means npunk use that excuse..)

Of course he could be somehow buying ones with issues, reboxing them after spending a good 30+ minutes to make sure they look spotless new without fingerprints or hand oils.. But again thats a stretch.

@npunk
So I came in, basically said I hate android/galaxy s4. You REALLLLY love them(why else you are here) and took offense to this. So now are being critical to every post I make.
h52E6A770

---

So I went ahead and went to stock. Did not want to but after swapping 2 batteries I figured thats the next "bad guy" on the list. The battery drain still happened. So I went out and got yet ANOTHER oem battery. This time the battery is not draining nearly as bad.. It has sat here for 4 hours and drained 2% idling.

2 batteries bad? Go figure.. Sorry if I wasted anyones time, however I do believe this thread will be helpful to anyone in the future with drain problems.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I see your wifi is in your usage so you must be on wifi a lot yes? That helps a ton with battery life.

Absolutely it does. My wifi was probably in use 90-95% of the time when that screenshot was taken.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Try installing SetCPU and keep your processor running at a lower speed until you need it. I also think you can make profiles so you can switch fast between battery save and high performance. Also look around the internet to see if it's safe to run your phone at a lower voltage. Hope this helps!

ISiddiqui

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Must be a bad phone or battery, I think. This phone has by far the best battery life I've had on a smartphone (I haven't used a Droid Razr MAXX though). Easily get through the day with at least 40% to spare with light/med use. I don't stream music all day or something (which obviously would kill the battery).

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

The seller does nothing but sell cell phones, he had like 10 other S4's sell within a week of mine being purchased.
So unless this guy had REALLY bad problems with phones and just kept buying...(by all means npunk use that excuse..)

Of course he could be somehow buying ones with issues, reboxing them after spending a good 30+ minutes to make sure they look spotless new without fingerprints or hand oils.. But again thats a stretch.

@npunk
So I came in, basically said I hate android/galaxy s4. You REALLLLY love them(why else you are here) and took offense to this. So now are being critical to every post I make.
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3544281600/h52E6A770/

---

I hate to break it to you buddy, but that's exactly what happened. There are dealers that buy up returns VERY CHEAPLY then clean them up and sell them. That's what they do, like used car dealers. They look nice, but they have been proven to be too much trouble to fix. On a good day you might have bought one with a more tolerable problem, maybe one that had a cracked screen replaced and blinks a little. But it seems you got one that drains batteries. If you paid by credit card you might be able to get you money back. Its worth a try. Get a good one from a reliable source, and think of all those extra batteries you have to switch out. LOL!

MoJess_MoProbs

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

Crazy.

I'm running everything and my battery lasts all day. I only charge when I'm about to go to sleep.

Jason K1

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

If u want to save a lot of battery i got a trick for ya which u can find in xda developer. Just search: Insanely Better Battery Life When Idle. It requires root and more effort, but it worth it :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie