S4: How to turn off vibrate for email notifications

chorting

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
had this issue - in the e-mail settings, IN ADDITION TO unchecking "Vibrate" under "Notification Settings", you have to set "Choose Ringtone" to none.

Colchicine

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I am so glad to hear I am not the only one with this problem. I registered just to post on this.

I want Gmail notifications to never vibrate. Ever. When the ringer volume is up, it will work properly by using the only ringtone I have assigned it and nothing else.

However, the malfunction occurs when my phone goes into vibrate mode when I'm in the office. Despite the proper settings, my phone will vibrate when I get a new email.

Settings > user@gmail.com > Notifications (checked) > Inbox sound & vibrate
> Label notifications (checked)
> Vibrate (unchecked)
> Notify for every message (checked)

Choosing a ringtone to none doesn't solve the problem because then I won't be able to get audible notifications when I do want them. This must be a bug with the S4, my previous HTC phones never had this unsolvable conflict.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I am so glad to hear I am not the only one with this problem. I registered just to post on this.

I want Gmail notifications to never vibrate. Ever. When the ringer volume is up, it will work properly by using the only ringtone I have assigned it and nothing else.

However, the malfunction occurs when my phone goes into vibrate mode when I'm in the office. Despite the proper settings, my phone will vibrate when I get a new email.

Settings > user@gmail.com > Notifications (checked) > Inbox sound & vibrate
> Label notifications (checked)
> Vibrate (unchecked)
> Notify for every message (checked)

Choosing a ringtone to none doesn't solve the problem because then I won't be able to get audible notifications when I do want them. This must be a bug with the S4, my previous HTC phones never had this unsolvable conflict.

This is due to a change in the android code, specifically this commit:

https://github.com/android/platform_frameworks_base/commit/9a7debe5857ffc7c71cfc4082b1b6d72a5cf81cd

So the behavior is by design. The thought is, if you want a sound notification of the alert, you also would want a vibrate notification if it's set to vibrate. Otherwise one would just set their phone to silent to not get any notifications.

Delia Keith

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I just got the samsung s4 and found a setting that will turn off the vibration for email, but still lets my phone vibrate for sms. I went to my email account, selected settings and it pulled up 3 things...general settings, my email address that I use for Gmail, and about gmail. Go into the email address list there in the settings ....example soandso@gmail.com....thats where I change my notification setting. I hope this helps. Better late than never. lol

Delia Keith

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the samsung g4. I managed to turn off the vibration for email, but keep the vibration for sms. Try this.
go in to your email, select settings. It pulled up three settings for me. General setting, my personal email address and about gmail. I selected my personal email address. Thats where I found notifications. I unchecked it...no more email vibrations, but it still works for sms.

sohotha

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Settings ->Sound-> Vibration Intensity ->Notifications --- Set this to ZERO value ie move cursor to left most side.

You can still retain phone sound etc by keeping Settings->Sounds-Vibrate when ringing

For sms you can sett sound/vibrate from inside "messaging" app

J

rosswil

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I finally found the answer, I'm not on a S4, but just a stock ASOP 4.3.1 ROM. I found if I go to Settings > Sound > Volumes and then uncheck the box that says "Link ringtone & notification volumes" I can set the ringtone to vibrate and the notifications to silent :)

Phil Kaufman

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
This is the correct answer for stock email accnt. Re: S4: How to turn off vibrate for email notifications
Settings ->Sound-> Vibration Intensity ->Notifications --- Set this to ZERO value ie move cursor to left most side.

droidlethus

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone! I too had this problem. I solved it in a way that ONLY removed the vibrate from emails. Emails still made a sound (like I want them to, but you can make them soundless), and texts still vibrate and make sound. I'll put the solution first, then background below (background can be important because different carriers have slightly different Android builds).

To solve:
  1. Open Gmail app
  2. Click the menu button softkey (in case I have the name wrong, I mean the button to the left of the physical home button)
  3. Click Settings. Here, you should see General Settings, [a list of your gmail account(s)], and About Gmail
  4. Click on an account, it will open to another menu
  5. Click on Inbox sound & vibrate (third option down for me)
  6. On this new menu, look for the following two fields: Sound (leads to a "choose file" option); and Vibrate (a checkbox)
  7. Quick side note: You may have discovered that unchecking Vibrate doesn't actually turn off vibrations. We need to go deeper.
  8. Look at the Sound option. Does it currently say Default ringtone ([your notification tone]) ? If it does, that's the problem.
  9. Click on Sound, then choose the sound you want from the menu (as opposed to leaving it on Default ringtone)
  10. Leave Vibrate unchecked (because everyone likes specificity in their instructions)
  11. Repeat for any other accounts you have
  12. Enjoy the return of a calm pocket

This way, it should still play sounds when sound is enabled, but will never vibrate. My conjecture as to why this happens: the "default ringtone" is not simply just a ringtone, but also now has the vibrate inherently attached to it (if vibrate is enabled for texts). This is also probably why we cannot change the way the texts vibrate.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and am on Verizon in Oregon (in the off chance that states have different rollout dates). Before the update, which occurred this morning, my gmail notifications were set up to play the Bubbles sound (one of the stock options) and not vibrate at all. If the phone was in vibrate mode, no sound or vibration would occur, though it would still put a notification in the toolbar.

After the update, SO MANY VIBRATIONS! All of the things were vibrating. And while that isn't the only grievance I have with this update, it was the one I fixed.

Hope this helps. Verizon, if you're watching, we'd all greatly appreciate a fix to the battery drain. I remember that when a previous, non-android update caused battery drain, you all were on top of it and released a fix within a couple weeks. Do it again, please!

Edit: Though, I found out that this only works for when the phone's ringtone and notification volumes are on. When in vibrate mode, emails still vibrate =/

Last edited:

Mopargirl440

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue except no vibrate just the notification sound for emails using the outlook.com. I never had problems using the default email app on the Samsung galaxy s4 but once I downloaded the outlook.com app, I get the sound every time. I have notifications not checked on the specific app and under the settings (gear) section. I don't want notified for every silly email, I want no sound and when you look at any section mentioned in prior posts, it appears that the phone should make no sound when an email is received. What gives? I am ready to delete the outlook app entirely since that's when the problems started. Any help is appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21