Hi all

I'm new to Android, just bought an S4 over the weekend. Love the phone, just got a question regarding battery life. I have turned off the smart features, location services, GPS, automatic software updates, most vibrations, got my screen brightness static at 30-40%, and power saving on. I have attached images of my battery status. I took it off charge at about 7am today and have used it moderately through the day (some web browsing, texting and WhatsApping). Its last charge went over a day with between 3 and 4 hours of screen use which took it to about 28%, when I charged it.

Basically, does this look/sound like poor, average or good battery life? It's probably worth noting that I only turned off location services today. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Battery life question-screenshot_2013-07-11-19-02-29.jpg   Battery life question-screenshot_2013-07-11-19-02-39.jpg  
    07-11-2013 01:17 PM
    Well...that's on pace for just under 24 hours on a single charge with ~5 hours screen time. Sounds pretty good to me, though you're actual results will probably be a bit less than that.
    07-11-2013 01:34 PM
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if I had a defective battery or not. As I was doing some web browsing, I noticed that it dropped 1% every 3 or 4 minutes and wasn't sure if this was draining quicker than it should do or not. If I leave it on standby then it seems to last an hour or more before dropping 1%. I've also got Juice Defender running in the background. Is this app worth it or are there any other battery-saving apps that you can recommend? I've also heard that battery performance improves after the phone has had some initial use, is this true?
    07-11-2013 01:47 PM
    Sounds pretty good to me. I get about 20-30 minutes of screen time for every 10% of battery life.
    07-11-2013 01:51 PM
    You'd probably be better off using auto brightness. Or setting the brightness lower but still legible. Looks normal to me and nothing to worry about.
    07-11-2013 03:31 PM
    Considering all the stuff he turned off...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    07-11-2013 03:32 PM
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if I had a defective battery or not. As I was doing some web browsing, I noticed that it dropped 1% every 3 or 4 minutes and wasn't sure if this was draining quicker than it should do or not. If I leave it on standby then it seems to last an hour or more before dropping 1%. I've also got Juice Defender running in the background. Is this app worth it or are there any other battery-saving apps that you can recommend? I've also heard that battery performance improves after the phone has had some initial use, is this true?
    I'm not familiar with Juice Defender, but sometimes apps that actually "force close" apps to save power can cause MORE battery drain than they're trying to save (because those apps use more power to re-open when needed). Your standby life sounds decent though, so you're probably OK.

I've been using Snapdragon Battery Guru and it seems to work pretty well for me.

And yes, usually new batteries will work best after a few charging cycles.

You'd probably be better off using auto brightness. Or setting the brightness lower but still legible. Looks normal to me and nothing to worry about.
    Using auto-brightness will actually drain the battery considerably faster than just setting at lowest setting that looks good for you. I find that even at 25-30% brightness the screen is very readable.
    07-11-2013 03:36 PM
    Thanks everyone. Any suggestions on any battery-saving apps or do they not make much difference?
    07-11-2013 03:37 PM
    I'm not familiar with Juice Defender, but sometimes apps that actually "force close" apps to save power can cause MORE battery drain than they're trying to save (because those apps use more power to re-open when needed). Your standby life sounds decent though, so you're probably OK.

I've been using Snapdragon Battery Guru and it seems to work pretty well for me.

And yes, usually new batteries will work best after a few charging cycles.

Using auto-brightness will actually drain the battery considerably faster than just setting at lowest setting that looks good for you. I find that even at 25-30% brightness the screen is very readable.
    That's great, thanks!
    07-11-2013 03:39 PM
    Thanks everyone. Any suggestions on any battery-saving apps or do they not make much difference?
    See my comment above. Most battery-saving apps (the decent ones), won't make a *huge* difference, but can help to prevent unnecessary services from running when you don't need them. As I mentioned, I'm running Snapdragon's battery guru app and it seems to work pretty well.

I would advise against running multiple battery-saver apps though...maybe try a few different ones out for a week at a time individually if you want to compare them, then decide on one to run permanently.
    DanH87 likes this.
    07-11-2013 03:39 PM
    Ok, thanks for all your help.
    07-11-2013 03:43 PM
    Up until a little over an hour ago I would have agreed with you. This afternoon mine went rogue and rapidly drained my battery:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post2913684

It could be an isolated incident or something that will be fixed soon. Both BatteryGuru and the S4 software have been updated recently. I restarted my phone this afternoon to see if the missing WiFi toggle would appear (it did not) and after it came back on my battery tanked. It went from about 85% to 20% in about three hours. I noticed because I took my phone out of my pocket and it was quite a bit warmer than usual.
    07-11-2013 03:53 PM
    My GS4 used to die pretty quick so what I did was (and people say it's not good but it works) for the first two months twice a month let your phone go down to 10% then charge to 100%. I did this and now I have all my features on screen all the way bright and I can get a day and a half with it. Try it but you buy this phone for all the great features don't turn them all off just because. I mean turn off NFC andS Beam since we don't use them everyday. But I will charge my phone when it hit 30% now I do. I learned this my class that's how we reset the computer laptop battery's also. Up to you.
    07-11-2013 08:05 PM
    I use the battery app called "Easy Battery Saver." I like being able to control the mobile network and sleep times.
    07-11-2013 08:51 PM