Hi there, I just got my S4 about 10 days ago, for the most part I've been quite happy except for two things: battery life (which is mainly my fault since I can get off the phone) and Kies. I've already posted a thread here about having issues connecting to Kies but I didn't get much help. I'm posting this thread because I have a few other questions as well.

1. How do I turn off auto updates? A lot of posts say go to settings or My Apps in Play Store but I don't see it in my Play Store.

2. Why are updates the same size as the original files? Do they take up additional space? I downloaded Dungeon Hunter 4 which is almost 1gb and everyday it updates by downloading another 1gb. Will this replace the original 1gb or does it take up extra space?

3. How do I transfer things from my PC? I've spent so many hours reading, reintalling, and posting on forums just trying to get Kies to work. I even tried Samsung Chat Support and their custromer service call center which is both embarassing to say the least. Frankly, I've had it with Kies. Are there any other programs that allows me to transfer my files?

I hope I can get some help here. I'm really new to this kinda technology, hell I didn't even have a phone for a year until I got this one. My point being I really suck at this stuff, and I'll be coming here often to read up or ask for advice. Hopefully, this forum can be a source for my answers.
    07-12-2013 08:27 PM
    Hi there, I just got my S4 about 10 days ago, for the most part I've been quite happy except for two things: battery life (which is mainly my fault since I can get off the phone) and Kies. I've already posted a thread here about having issues connecting to Kies but I didn't get much help. I'm posting this thread because I have a few other questions as well.

1. How do I turn off auto updates? A lot of posts say go to settings or My Apps in Play Store but I don't see it in my Play Store.

2. Why are updates the same size as the original files? Do they take up additional space? I downloaded Dungeon Hunter 4 which is almost 1gb and everyday it updates by downloading another 1gb. Will this replace the original 1gb or does it take up extra space?

3. How do I transfer things from my PC? I've spent so many hours reading, reintalling, and posting on forums just trying to get Kies to work. I even tried Samsung Chat Support and their custromer service call center which is both embarassing to say the least. Frankly, I've had it with Kies. Are there any other programs that allows me to transfer my files?

I hope I can get some help here. I'm really new to this kinda technology, hell I didn't even have a phone for a year until I got this one. My point being I really suck at this stuff, and I'll be coming here often to read up or ask for advice. Hopefully, this forum can be a source for my answers.
    1. Open play store. Hit the menu button (to the left of the home button). Select settings, auto update, then select do not auto update.

2. Sounds like the app you mentioned is doing something funky. It shouldn't be downloading a gig every day. Check your storage (swipe from the top of the screen, select the gear icon, select the more tab, tap application manager, then find and tap the app in question to bring up details as to how much space it's taking up). You may want to uninstall the app you mentioned and then reinstall it from the app store. You can do that by following the steps I listed above. While viewing the app details, there is an option to uninstall.

3. I can't give you specifics, as I have a mac. As far as I would guess, you shouldn't need a program. Simply connect your phone to the pc with the usb cable, and the phone should show up as an external drive. From there just copy over the files to an appropriate folder. (Please note that this is just my best guess).

Posted via Android Central App
    Aesthete18 likes this.
    07-13-2013 01:55 AM
    1. Open play store. Hit the menu button (to the left of the home button). Select settings, auto update, then select do not auto update.

2. Sounds like the app you mentioned is doing something funky. It shouldn't be downloading a gig every day. Check your storage (swipe from the top of the screen, select the gear icon, select the more tab, tap application manager, then find and tap the app in question to bring up details as to how much space it's taking up). You may want to uninstall the app you mentioned and then reinstall it from the app store. You can do that by following the steps I listed above. While viewing the app details, there is an option to uninstall.

3. I can't give you specifics, as I have a mac. As far as I would guess, you shouldn't need a program. Simply connect your phone to the pc with the usb cable, and the phone should show up as an external drive. From there just copy over the files to an appropriate folder. (Please note that this is just my best guess).

First off, thanks for replying. There is no home button or menu button on my play store, there's only a search button on the top right corner and a picture of the play store on the top left corner (which does nothing when I click it).

2. Okay, I checked the application manager, the app takes up the correct amount, so I'll probably just want to off the auto update.

3. It doesn't work, nothing happens when I plug in into the PC, just a couple of detects and that's it.

Well at least I got one problem solved. Thanks tvouge
    07-13-2013 06:05 AM
    To open menu on play store you have to click on menu capacitive button in your s4

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Aesthete18 likes this.
    07-13-2013 06:41 AM
    First off, thanks for replying. There is no home button or menu button on my play store, there's only a search button on the top right corner and a picture of the play store on the top left corner (which does nothing when I click it).

2. Okay, I checked the application manager, the app takes up the correct amount, so I'll probably just want to off the auto update.

3. It doesn't work, nothing happens when I plug in into the PC, just a couple of detects and that's it.

Well at least I got one problem solved. Thanks tvouge
    If you don't want to use Kies for any reason, just look for latest Samsung phone drivers on Google, it will detect your phone after correctly installed, then to transfer files is just like a regular USB drive. I'd insist on Kies as it install those drivers and you can use it to do your phone backups.
    07-13-2013 07:03 AM
    http://db.tt/oVlcfjUZ
    Samsung drivers for windows

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk HD
    07-13-2013 07:30 AM
    The big physical button at the bottom of your phone is the home button. Press the area to the left of it for the menu button. (To the right of the home button is the back button).

Aesthete18 likes this.
    07-13-2013 11:17 AM
    The big physical button at the bottom of your phone is the home button. Press the area to the left of it for the menu button. (To the right of the home button is the back button).

See this is what I meant by being a noob. That button is a ghost, I don't even realize it's there most of the time. Okay, auto-updates are off.

- - - Updated - - -

To open menu on play store you have to click on menu capacitive button in your s4

Got it. Thanks.
    07-13-2013 01:45 PM
    If you don't want to use Kies for any reason, just look for latest Samsung phone drivers on Google, it will detect your phone after correctly installed, then to transfer files is just like a regular USB drive. I'd insist on Kies as it install those drivers and you can use it to do your phone backups.
    I do want to use Kies, but I've tried so many times without any success. Even after installing Kies and it's driver, it doesn't detect my phone.
    07-13-2013 01:48 PM
    http://db.tt/oVlcfjUZ
    Samsung drivers for windows

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk HD
    It doesn't work. This is the 4th driver I've installed manually and it's always the same error. After installing and connecting my phone I get pop ups saying Found New Hardware - Samsung android, MTP device, mobile USB composite device, CDC abstract *something* and Samsung mobile modem. Then the last pop up says "a problem has occured during hardware installation". So I go to device manager and there's an exclamation mark on the MTP device, I click on properties and the device status says "this device is not configured properly". So I reinstall driver through the hardware update wizard and it still says device is not configured properly.
    07-13-2013 02:05 PM
    It doesn't work. This is the 4th driver I've installed manually and it's always the same error. After installing and connecting my phone I get pop ups saying Found New Hardware - Samsung android, MTP device, mobile USB composite device, CDC abstract *something* and Samsung mobile modem. Then the last pop up says "a problem has occured during hardware installation". So I go to device manager and there's an exclamation mark on the MTP device, I click on properties and the device status says "this device is not configured properly". So I reinstall driver through the hardware update wizard and it still says device is not configured properly.
    Then it's your PC, I'd advise you to go to your control panel and remove any driver you see related to Samsung, then uninstall all Drivers and Kies in your programs menu, then, go to your Registry, and find and delete all registries from kies and Samsung. Then reboot and try installing kies first and if possible connect your phone on other usb port, and see what happens.

If all the above doesn't work, try in other pc if it still does the same, then it may be possible that your phone port may be bad, that's very very strange but I have seen it before so it's not impossible. I'd insist on you doing step by step what I mention here, for the convenience of having kies installed so you can rely on backups, but, if nothing works and you want to avoid further issues, just install Airdroid, look for it on the Play store, free, and one of the most easy, versatile and useful app on the store.
    07-13-2013 02:45 PM
    When you plug your s4 there must be some notification on your s4 . Check that one

07-13-2013 07:07 PM
    Why don't you try AIRDROID..... is easier and in my opinion better than Kies.........
    07-13-2013 08:49 PM
    Why don't you try AIRDROID..... is easier and in my opinion better than Kies.........
    Does it have the backup feature? That'll be important down the line, like erasat said.
    07-14-2013 01:37 AM
    When you plug your s4 there must be some notification on your s4 . Check that one

Yup. It says connected as USB and two options media device(MTP) and camera(PTP)

- - - Updated - - -

Then it's your PC, I'd advise you to go to your control panel and remove any driver you see related to Samsung, then uninstall all Drivers and Kies in your programs menu, then, go to your Registry, and find and delete all registries from kies and Samsung. Then reboot and try installing kies first and if possible connect your phone on other usb port, and see what happens.

If all the above doesn't work, try in other pc if it still does the same, then it may be possible that your phone port may be bad, that's very very strange but I have seen it before so it's not impossible. I'd insist on you doing step by step what I mention here, for the convenience of having kies installed so you can rely on backups, but, if nothing works and you want to avoid further issues, just install Airdroid, look for it on the Play store, free, and one of the most easy, versatile and useful app on the store.
    Okay, I figured out how to delete in registry, hopefully I got all of it. I thought I might have found the source of the problem. In device manager, there are 3 things without a driver (SM Bus Controller and 2 Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller). Seeing that it has something to do with USB, I figured it might be related to the current issue. After a long search, I found the drivers for it and installed it. Reinstalled Kies, used a generic cable in a different USB port and they same goddamn error msg, "device not configured correctly (code 1)". I just don't get it. By now, it's clear to me it has nothing to do with Kies, since the MTP is already showing an exclamation mark before I even open Kies.

I don't have another PC to try it on as my house mate is out of town. But I'll probably try that in a couple of days. Geez, I can even phantom the amount of hours I've spent on this. I even tried to copy an .inf file in Windows.
    07-14-2013 01:38 AM
    What do you backup? I mean app and data or pic mp3 video ?

Check this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...wifisync&hl=en

Aesthete18 likes this.
    07-14-2013 03:48 AM
    What do you backup? I mean app and data or pic mp3 video ?

Check this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...wifisync&hl=en

Great! Thank you. I can use this to backup and Airdroid to transfer.

I'm going to try customer service one last time tomorrow, although I doubt they have more knowledge than what I've received here so far. Argh! I'm losing my mind over this goddamn thing! So thank you so much for the alternatives, it'll take my anger down a notch.
    07-14-2013 04:19 AM
    Welcome
    If your using win8 it maybe the problem . try it with win7 or Mac and see

07-14-2013 04:34 AM
    Welcome
    If your using win8 it maybe the problem . try it with win7 or Mac and see

I'm using Windows XP. But I'll try on my house mates' PC when he returns.
    07-14-2013 07:20 PM