So I am a student in school. I currently have a contract with us cellular with the Motorola electrify 2. My upgrade date isn't for 1 more year since I got my phone in Feb this year. I was looking at the GS4 and was wondering if its worth the 750 off contract for this device. I have to stay with us cellular btw. My current usage: email Facebook twitter texting web browsing.

Sent from my XT881 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-14-2013 10:16 AM
    I love the phone and bought mine outright. I normally buy my phones outright rather than sign into lengthy cell contracts - if you end up purchasing it you are going to love it. AWESOME phone!
    07-14-2013 10:21 AM
    I know when I was a student there was no way I would spend that kind of money on a nice to have not need to have item. Check craigslist as I recently saw new in box models going for around 500 in my area.

Finally, make sure you stay in school, get good grades and get a good job and you will be able to buy phones for full price whenever you want.
    07-14-2013 10:28 AM
    Be very careful when purchasing on Craigslist, there are numerous reports of people selling phones on CL then calling in and reporting them stolen or lost and they end up blacklisting the phone which essentially makes it non functional. Many who do this sell it, report it and then go through their insurance plan to get a brand new phone at a very cheap price. They come out with a new phone and a bunch of money from the one they sold you that is simply a paperweight after being blacklisted.
    07-14-2013 10:43 AM
    I'm a student, got mine unlocked outright for 640, only buy if you really want it and has money to spare, but it's totally worth it dude

Sent from my GT-I9500
    07-14-2013 10:56 AM
    I would wait till the newer phones come out. They will blow the HTC one and gs4 out of the water.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-14-2013 11:15 AM
    I thought I would ask how well the battery is. If some of you could post your battery screen in settings it would be helpful. Also do you find yourself using LTE often and does the removable battery make a bug difference?

07-14-2013 11:56 AM
    Be very careful when purchasing on Craigslist, there are numerous reports of people selling phones on CL then calling in and reporting them stolen or lost and they end up blacklisting the phone which essentially makes it non functional. Many who do this sell it, report it and then go through their insurance plan to get a brand new phone at a very cheap price. They come out with a new phone and a bunch of money from the one they sold you that is simply a paperweight after being blacklisted.
    Wow...pretty soon you will need to get a itemized receipt with IMEI and sellers signature etc...if only thieves would be productive with their creativity.
    Aquila likes this.
    07-14-2013 12:00 PM
    I would wait till the newer phones come out. They will blow the HTC one and gs4 out of the water.

And when those come out, I would wait again. The newer phones would blow those phones out of the water. /s
    fijiphil, BobR1908 and ForTheHorde like this.
    07-14-2013 12:34 PM
    Wow...pretty soon you will need to get a itemized receipt with IMEI and sellers signature etc...if only thieves would be productive with their creativity.
    That is what I do when I buy/sell from CL. I've been burn on one transaction and if I had this info I would have taken the person to small claims court. I always disclose this info before the sale.

Jr - via S3 on Tapatalk
    07-14-2013 01:00 PM
    That is what I do when I buy/sell from CL. I've been burn on one transaction and if I had this info I would have taken the person to small claims court. I always disclose this info before the sale.

Jr - via S3 on Tapatalk
    I have not bought only sold on craigslist, but always have them check it with a SIM. I guess I will start adding that I will provide a itemized, signed receipt when I sell on CL. I have had people even refuse to put a SIM in to test it when handing over their money...luckily the devices I sell are always mint condition with no issues. I guess that is their benefit from my phone addiction problems...lol!
    benhmadison likes this.
    07-14-2013 02:06 PM
    So I am a student in school. I currently have a contract with us cellular with the Motorola electrify 2. My upgrade date isn't for 1 more year since I got my phone in Feb this year. I was looking at the GS4 and was wondering if its worth the 750 off contract for this device. I have to stay with us cellular btw. My current usage: email Facebook twitter texting web browsing.

Where are you planning on buying it that would cost 750? That's WAY to much. You can buy one on swappa, eBay or craigslist much cheaper. I just sold mine on Craigslist for 475. Hunt for a good deal and as long as you are careful you will be fine.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    07-14-2013 03:42 PM
    Where are you planning on buying it that would cost 750? That's WAY to much. You can buy one on swappa, eBay or craigslist much cheaper. I just sold mine on Craigslist for 475. Hunt for a good deal and as long as you are careful you will be fine.

That is the direct contract free price from my carrier

07-14-2013 06:56 PM
    That is the direct contract free price from my carrier

You can buy one unlocked or get an Att or t mobile version and unlock it and save 200 plus.

07-14-2013 07:08 PM
    You can buy one unlocked or get an Att or t mobile version and unlock it and save 200 plus.

It has to be for my carrier us cellular

07-14-2013 08:36 PM
    And when those come out, I would wait again. The newer phones would blow those phones out of the water. /s
    I am just saying that he should at least wait until phones with a snapdragon 800 processor and 3gb of ram to come out. Which will just be in a few months.

07-15-2013 01:40 AM
    Man I see USCC S4s on CL all the time in the $300-$400 range. Some even sealed in box. They seem to go for consistently ~$100 less than the S4 on other carriers. I'd look around if I were you.

07-15-2013 01:53 AM

Check Amazon... Most places overprice these phones.. The HTC One was 700 or more in some places when I was buying it outright... Found it for 550 on Amazon. So I'd see if they have your S4 so you can save some money. .

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.
    07-15-2013 08:15 AM
    The best thing to do is to meet the seller at a corporate store for the carrier that the phone is on, and activate it in store. Once activated on the new line, it can't be claimed as stolen by the previous owner. If the seller won't agree to meet you at a corporate store, don't buy from them, something may be shady

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    BobR1908 and planoman like this.
    07-15-2013 08:28 AM
    If I buy from swappa is there a guarantee that the phone will be able to be activated and can it still be reported stolen?

07-15-2013 10:30 AM
    If I buy from swappa is there a guarantee that the phone will be able to be activated and can it still be reported stolen?

I'm pretty sure there's never a guarantee, but swappa does make sure the esn/imei is clean and able to activate. Plus there's documentation there. I've bought and sold several devices on there and have yet to have a problem.

-Duly GNOTE2'd
    benhmadison likes this.
    07-15-2013 10:41 AM

They verify the IMEI to make sure it is clean and you would have a record of it being sold. The seller would probably not be able to claim it was stolen if going through SWAPPA.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    07-15-2013 11:54 AM
    I am just saying that he should at least wait until phones with a snapdragon 800 processor and 3gb of ram to come out. Which will just be in a few months.

The point is, when those phones are available, you will be saying to wait for phones with a Snapdragon 1200 processor and 4 GB of ram.
    niko_orsini likes this.
    07-15-2013 05:15 PM