Hi...I noticed on connecting my new Samsung Galaxy S4(Model: GT-19500) to Kies that its internal memory is only 8.72 GB whereas the device is supposed to be a 16 GB one...on the device itself (under -settings-storage it says :'total space 8.82GB"....any explainations please? Thank you.
    07-14-2013 11:44 AM
    The OS [Android] takes up space, and all the uneeded junk that Samsung added to the phone takes up even more space!
    BMI7 likes this.
    07-14-2013 11:57 AM
    The above is true, the system partition (mostly touchwiz) takes up about 4gb of space alone. Really If they were going to release touchwiz 5, and knew it took up that much space, they should have at least made the 32gig standard by now.

Really though as far as storage capacity goes smartphones are way behind. 32 should be standard with 64 being optional. It's really pathetic when you compare it to other devices.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    BMI7 likes this.
    07-14-2013 05:41 PM
    Thank you, Michael...I thing that explains it....but I didn't know it takes so much memory space...is there any way to improve the situation without adding an SD card,which stores only photos and videos as far as I know?....thanks again.
    07-15-2013 11:39 AM
    When the update rolls out, depending on what country & carrier you're with, the update has the ability to move apps to the SD card, but of course, that is also up to the developer of the app.

For example, I am in Canada with Telus, and still waiting for the update to show up here, but I don't know if it's shown up yet for people with Bell Mobility or Rogers/FIDO yet.
    07-15-2013 11:44 AM
    Thank you, I fully agree with you now that I know its software...etc take so much space...it is much better and also , may be, cheaper to have a 32 GB internal memory as standard,just as u suggested...many thanks.
    07-15-2013 11:45 AM
    Photos, videos, docs, spreadsheets, music, pdfs can be kept on card and MyFiles has a settings page that will set the default for them to go there. Some developers are starting to allow data files to be written to the card. Whenever you have an app that does not, consider writing to the developer and asking for that to be added.

If you like the app, leave a positive evaluation on Google Play but note the need to be able to use card storage for data files.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    07-15-2013 12:22 PM
    When the update rolls out, depending on what country & carrier you're with, the update has the ability to move apps to the SD card, but of course, that is also up to the developer of the app.

For example, I am in Canada with Telus, and still waiting for the update to show up here, but I don't know if it's shown up yet for people with Bell Mobility or Rogers/FIDO yet.
    Rogers here, haven't received the update yet either
    07-15-2013 12:31 PM
    Rogers here, haven't received the update yet either
    Honestly, Canadian carriers are the slowest -- IMHO -- in the world when it comes to updates for Android!
    07-15-2013 12:39 PM
    Honestly, Canadian carriers are the slowest -- IMHO -- in the world when it comes to updates for Android!
    and we pay the most for are monthly planes in the world with 3 years lock
    no update i'm with fido/rogers
    07-15-2013 12:52 PM
    and we pay the most for are monthly planes in the world with 3 years lock
    Well, I am not on a real contract with Telus, because I won my S4 from MobileSyrup.com, yes I am paying a stupid high price of $75/month, but I can quit anytime I want.

The other problem with our prices is because the CRTC doesn't want to help the consumer, they just want to help the businesses, and the reason being is because the majority of the CRTC used to work for Bell, Rogers, Telus, Shaw, etc. and they want to help their former employers instead!
    07-15-2013 01:14 PM
    Well, I am not on a real contract with Telus, because I won my S4 from MobileSyrup.com, yes I am paying a stupid high price of $75/month, but I can quit anytime I want.

The other problem with our prices is because the CRTC doesn't want to help the consumer, they just want to help the businesses, and the reason being is because the majority of the CRTC used to work for Bell, Rogers, Telus, Shaw, etc. and they want to help their former employers instead!
    this is my plan with fido
    =================

$30 6GB DATA

$25 Standard Plan - 300 weekday minutes (7am to 6pm) - Unlimited Eve/Wknd minutes (Evenings Starting at 6 pm) - Unlimited Canada wide long distance - Unlimited text, picture and video messages from Canada to Canadian, U.S and international wireless numbers - Evenings Starting at 6 pm - Call Display - Voicemail - Unlimited Circle Calling - Call Waiting - Conference Call

TOTAL $55.00
    07-15-2013 01:54 PM
    That's a hell of a lot better than what I am getting for $75.

I do get unlimted incoming & outgoing calls, unlimted Canadian LD, unlimited Canadian text (anything that goes outside of Canada I have to pay for), 1GB of data, and a few other things, I can't seem to pull up my actual plan on Telus' web site for some reason, because they break it down into pieces, which is a stupid way to convey info!
    07-15-2013 02:26 PM