S4 screen going blank during calls

Markie2210

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
When i'm on a call with my Galaxy S4 the screen goes off/blank and I have to press the home button. Does anybody know how I can keep the screen on the whole time during a call.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Most modern phones work this way, it's so you can hold it to your ear without your face pressing any buttons. Most will have the display reappear when you move it from your face. Look under settings there may be a way to adjust the behavior.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
What pkcable said, plus, it helps to save battery too.
I don't see why would you need the display on if the phone is against your face but, to each his own.

Go to Settings
Then My Device, Call
Then unckeck the option
Turn off screen during call

See screenshots below:

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away

Attachments

• 1373833429944.jpg
    1373833429944.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 1373833518521.jpg
    1373833518521.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 1373833606778.jpg
    1373833606778.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 123

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I really wish people would at least TRY going through their settings before asking a question like this

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I really wish people would at least TRY going through their settings before asking a question like this

I understand you, but at the same time there are many people who aren't familiar with smartphones.
It doesn't hurt to help someone from time to time. :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I understand you, but at the same time there are many people who aren't familiar with smartphones.
It doesn't hurt to help someone from time to time. :)

This. Some people don't know about the various menus so.. They ask here and we can help.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
This. Some people don't know about the various menus so.. They ask here and we can help.

There is a difference between trying and not trying though. I came from Blackberry I had NO idea what to do with an Android, I simply went through menu to menu and figured it out.
Point is, it's obvious some people don't even TRY. That's my point.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There is a difference between trying and not trying though. I came from Blackberry I had NO idea what to do with an Android, I simply went through menu to menu and figured it out.
Point is, it's obvious some people don't even TRY. That's my point.

Welcome... To... The world? This should hardly be a shock.

Don McIntyre

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Just curious as to why you think this user did not try to go through their settings prior to posting their concern?

I have the same question, which is why I came to this thread. I had the 'Turn off screen during calls' checked but my phone would go blank and I had some trouble getting the display on again, so though obvious solution to me would be to uncheck it in order to NOT turn the screen off during a call. Well, it seems that with it unchecked, the screen still goes off, but this time it would not come back on. So I guess the only solution is to recheck this setting?

There are lots of calls that you make these days where you don't wish the screen to go off. Often you get routed into a voice system that has you press various buttons as a response to questions. I would like for my screen to stay on during this whole call.

I have worked with these settings extensively, and I still have the same question as the original poster had. So is there another way to keep your screen on outside this one setting?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have worked with these settings extensively, and I still have the same question as the original poster had. So is there another way to keep your screen on outside this one setting?

Hello Don, so you have gone trough the settings as I indicated on the screenshots above?
If you still have the screen going off then you might have something else wrong.
Which carrier do you have and do you have the latest updates?
Have you done a factory reset?

eurobeat

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue.

I used to own an Iphone, the screen turns off when I place the phone next to my ear, screen turns back on after I move the phone away from my ear. The Samsung S4 does the same way before the Samsung update taken place at the beginning of August. When I remove the phone away from my ear the screen doesn't turn back on, it stays off until I hit the home button. It is not a proximity setting or screen timeout setting can help to fix the problem.

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
is there a setting for galaxy s4 that will make the phone light back up when you move it away from your ear when it goes blank during a call?
It's supposed to happen automatically. There may be a little bit of a delay (maybe a second or two) while the proximity sensor reacts.

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I actually witness that before myself where it stays black while i'm chatting. I was trying to look up something where the person is still on call. I believe the proximity is slow :-\

totti_07

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. It's frustrating that it doesn't come back on by itself. Sometimes it even gets stuck off and pressing any buttons doesn't turn it back on. I have to wait till the other party hangs up

Atri Basu

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem and in some cases pressing the home button or even the power off button doesn't help. It's ridiculous and extremely inconvenient when the proximity sensor doesn't seem to work. is any one aware of any open bugs for this issue?

chrisjaffe

May 19, 2011
Visit site
i am having this same problem with the Google Edition of this phone.
I understand how the proximity sensor should work and it is not working properly. This is new behavior since the last update that pushed out a little while ago.