Disappointment with my new Samsung Galaxy S4.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Wow so there is actually some one that wants an FM radio on their phone. I have had multiple phones with it and have never used it. When I do listen to FM radio I wonder how anyone can stand to listen to commercial radio. Simply way too many commercials.

Not what you asked but the HTC One has a built in FM tuner.

I hate it for you that you feel like it was not an upgrade. That is a crappy feeling.

I'm not the OP, but I'm definitely someone that likes having the FM radio. I used to have to take a bus into my office every day, and about 1/2 of the 15-20 minute trip was through a complete dead zone for cell coverage, so streaming music was off the table. Of course, I had music saved locally, but in the morning I actually preferred to listen to news or one of the local talk radio shows, so the FM radio came in quite handy.

I no longer take that bus, so I admit I probably wouldn't use the radio now even if I had it.

Having said all that, the lack of FM radio certainly wouldn't preclude me from buying a phone, or even consider it a "disappointment"...but it was a feature I found useful.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I almost licked my screen looking at the pizza

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I DID lick the screen! LOL

I'm about to get an S4, as I traded my Note 2 for it. Giving up a half inch, BUT I wanted to check out the fancy new features and I was ready for a change. :) I may be getting an HTC One also. :)

sharpehenry

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not the OP, but I'm definitely someone that likes having the FM radio. I used to have to take a bus into my office every day, and about 1/2 of the 15-20 minute trip was through a complete dead zone for cell coverage, so streaming music was off the table. Of course, I had music saved locally, but in the morning I actually preferred to listen to news or one of the local talk radio shows, so the FM radio came in quite handy.

I no longer take that bus, so I admit I probably wouldn't use the radio now even if I had it.

Having said all that, the lack of FM radio certainly wouldn't preclude me from buying a phone, or even consider it a "disappointment"...but it was a feature I found useful.

There are few online radio app that buffers few songs ahead (pre loading next track) so that it won't cut off just like the situation you are experiencing. I know slacker radio has that function. It's a great app and please give it a try if you haven't.

Posted via Android Central App

bigkevbosky

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Really? Lack of an FM radio is a problem? You can buy a mini FM radio for like, 5 bucks at CVS or Walgreens. My S4 doesn't wash my car or get me beer from the fridge, either. Talk about a let down, Samsung!

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Really? Lack of an FM radio is a problem? You can buy a mini FM radio for like, 5 bucks at CVS or Walgreens. My S4 doesn't wash my car or get me beer from the fridge, either. Talk about a let down, Samsung!

And you can get a camera for a few bucks and maybe a calculator or an alarm clock, oh yeah and you can access the internet with your tablet so no need for wifi then?
That's not the point.
First of all not everyone has unlimited data, coverage is not good everywhere and also why should you drain more battery?
If someone uses the FM radio and FM radio was present in previous Galaxy phones it is something negative.

BMI7

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you....that's exactly my point...you got it....where I live(outside the USA) I don't have access easily....and I did find my FM Radio on my deserted S3 very useful and handy,indeed.....also very useful when travelling to distant places....I know you may be able to buy an FM Radio but why carry so many devices with you when you can have them all in one package?....THANKS AGAIN.

BMI7

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply....yes,Sir, I did remove the film covering the lens and very gently wiped it with a soft clothe... but I still am of the opinion that the S3 photos are better than the S4 ones......I made the suggested changes to the "settings"and just made a few photos but still disappointed with the results...my question now is that: can it be due to the S4 model which I have available where in my region of the world ...it is GT-19500...I just wonder although my previous S3 was of the same series being a GT-19300 ?...If you are an expert, may be you can help me understand...many thanks.

BMI7

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Can you please explain what the word"TWEAK"means?...English is not my home language and I looked up the dictionary to try to understand but I couldn't get it....as for the camera I tried your suggestions but I am still disappointed...Thank you.

BMI7

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
In my case, the camera is quick...it triggers as soon as I touch the shutter release botton...but the photos quality is not good compared to my previous S3....thanks.

sejgiul

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
hujubume.jpg

This is a random picture taken with my note 2 on default settings and stock camera app. Do you find that better or worse than those taken from your s4?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

BMI7

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes my S3 had an FM radio and I listened to it fluently without any problems or depletion of the device's battery...thank you.

BMI7

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I did peel off the protective film placed over the lens...but still the photos are disappointing...thank you a lot.

BMI7

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I tried to download "slacker radio...but it said: "not available in your country"....I am not in the USA...Thank you very much.

calculush1

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I also just recently upgraded to the S4 from the S3. I agree that the picture quality is inferior. I was hoping to get some tips from this forum to improve the pictures, or at least get pictures as good as I did with the S3. I tried changing the settings to 13MP and funny I did still have a sticker on the camera, but the sticker is a disk, not a full circle, so it was never covering the camera lens in the first place. Even with these 2 changes my pictures still come out blurry and pixelated.

I am in the US. I just bought my phone last month during a black Friday sale. I am most disappointed because I upgraded specifically because I heard the S4 had a better camera.

(I had no idea that my S3 had radio but now I am going to download one of those radio apps ;) )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463