07-18-2013 08:34 AM
52 123
tools
    I prefer plastic. Everyone seems to talk about plastic like it's 1985 or something. Plastic has come a long way. Glock handguns use some pretty light weight plastic that most do not consider "cheap" at all. It's not your fathers plastic that is being used on phones. It's not the same that Glock uses but It's light, incredibly tough, easy to replace, good looking and less expensive. And like others have pointed out, almost everyone with a phone will eventually go for a case even if it's just to make them feel like they have a new phone. I think people react to light weight as if that means something is "cheap" but that isn't always the case.
    TheAutoMomma likes this.
    07-16-2013 02:02 PM
    I have an S3, and the fact that it's plastic doesn't bother me at all. I wish it were less slippery, though, which I think the S4 is.

When I compare the S4 to the HTC One, I thought the white plastic strip around the edge of the One's body looked cheaper than the plastic body on the S4. But I wouldn't decide on either phone based on the plastic, or lack of.
    07-16-2013 02:55 PM
    Like others, I use a case. And I find these thin phones too thin and slippery.

Doesn't matter what's underneath--I'm using a case. So the back may as well be as light and as thin as possible.
    07-16-2013 07:11 PM
    Honestly, I 'll take plastic if it means I can use SD cards, and replace the battery whenever i want. When buying a new phone I could barely consider something like the Nexus 4 or the HTC One. No SD support? No removable battery? At least the One uses metal but glass on the Nexus 4? No thanks. I guess some people are more form over function. I'm definitely more "function over form"
    07-16-2013 07:21 PM
    It doesn't bother me in the least. Even though the GS4 is made of plastic, I don't think it feels cheap. I think it feels solidly made. My GS4 doesn't have a scratch on it. My iPhone 5, which I bought after the GS4, has 2 dings in the chamfered edges. That phone has never been dropped either. I think its just from snapping it in and out of a case whenever I swap my sim card back and forth.
    07-16-2013 09:06 PM
    Totally agree with those who see plastic in general as a non issue but hate the glossy slippery finish. I am using a case and I don't really like cases. I just feel forced too use a case so the phone does not squirt out of my hand.
    bp3dots likes this.
    07-16-2013 10:28 PM
    Doesn't bother me at all. Also I have a case on my phone 24/7 so it doesn't matter. The whole plastic vs metal thing is the last thing I thought about when buying the phone. I do agree that I wish the finish of the plastic was less glossy but like I said, I have a case on it that has a more rugged plastic so I'm not worried about it.
    07-16-2013 11:22 PM
    Totally agree with those who see plastic in general as a non issue but hate the glossy slippery finish. I am using a case and I don't really like cases. I just feel forced too use a case so the phone does not squirt out of my hand.
    It's an excellent reason to use a case--because you're right, this thing is too slippery. But in addition to that, you can still drop it even so. Stuff happens, especially over the course of a couple of years. I view cases as mandatory, whatever the downsides are.

In the famous words of your friend, Kurt Vonnegut:

"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."

That doesn't bode well for the ability to avoid dropping the phone. An ounce of prevention...
    07-17-2013 05:42 AM
    Not in the least. I have an Element Atom case on it and it makes it even more firm.
    07-17-2013 06:00 AM
    Not at all, the case I use is made of silicone and plastic. The same silicone and plastic I would use if I had a phone made with a metal frame.
    07-17-2013 10:24 AM
    It bothers me because it feels cheap and slimy and also creaks. Creaks even more after a short period of use. This is not what you expect of a flagship phone. Which is why so many reviews and people dislike it. At least they made the buttons better. I don't use a case btw and no manufacturer should expect buyers to make up for the defects of their construction by putting a case on the device.
    Plastic is not an excuse for a cheap feel. You can make something out of plastic and not have it feel so cheap, slimy, and creaky.
    07-17-2013 10:27 AM
    It bothers me because it feels cheap and slimy and also creaks. Creaks even more after a short period of use. This is not what you expect of a flagship phone. Which is why so many reviews and people dislike it. At least they made the buttons better. I don't use a case btw and no manufacturer should expect buyers to make up for the defects of their construction by putting a case on the device.
    Plastic is not an excuse for a cheap feel. You can make something out of plastic and not have it feel so cheap, slimy, and creaky.
    "Creaky"? Mine doesn't creak at all, I tested it, mines quite solid.

Sent from my GT-I9500
    07-17-2013 11:04 AM
    I actually really like the feel of the S4 in the hand. I use a tpu case right now, but even when the phone was naked, I really liked the general feel of it. A little slippery, maybe, but not bad.
    07-17-2013 01:27 PM
    The plastics don't bug me too much, (though I would prefer something nicer, like Moto's carbon fiber builds) I just mostly hate the slipperyness. A soft touch back would be a big plus if Sammy went that way.
    Agreed. Everytime I pick up my Active I wish the rubberized parts on the top and bottom were used for the whole back panel.
    07-17-2013 01:45 PM
    I've had an s3 and have an htc One now and i love the way the metal feels in my hand, it feels like it wont slip out of my hand compared to plastic and it makes the phone look nicer too. I've had my One for a month and not one scratch on it and no case either. I guess it just depends on what you prefer. This thread feels like it was made to bash the One for some reason especially since you should be asking one users not s4 users how they feel about the plastic since One users are the people who prefer the aluminum.
    07-17-2013 02:29 PM
    Slimy? Lol no. Maybe your hands are oily?
    07-17-2013 02:41 PM
    Doesn't bother me. Just got my S4 and the first thing I did was to put it in a flip top case, with a screen cover.. Took off the cover again, added a 64 gb sd card, put it back. No problem, plus I am sure they sell after market ones if a user wants to change. Also, I heard that metal does something with the reception. Don't know if that is accurate or not..

For those who want metal, $7.99 will take care of that in style and ease..

Aluminum Metal Alloy Battery Back Cover Housing for Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 s IV | eBay
    07-17-2013 02:43 PM
    No, I don't mind it because I have a Spigen Slim Armor View on mine which gives it a little bulk and great protection. I do get worried when I take the back off though- it does seem like it could easily snap in half.

I love everything about my phone with my Spigen case on it.
    07-17-2013 03:46 PM
    I've had an s3 and have an htc One now and i love the way the metal feels in my hand, it feels like it wont slip out of my hand compared to plastic and it makes the phone look nicer too. I've had my One for a month and not one scratch on it and no case either. I guess it just depends on what you prefer. This thread feels like it was made to bash the One for some reason especially since you should be asking one users not s4 users how they feel about the plastic since One users are the people who prefer the aluminum.
    How in the hell was this thread made to bash the One? And why would he ask on another forum? We're the ones who use a plastic phone o an day to day basis so the audience is perfectly targeted.
    Oofa likes this.
    07-17-2013 05:02 PM
    Actually I like the design of the s4. I think it's sleek and elegant

Posted via Android Central App
    Notsosure likes this.
    07-17-2013 05:12 PM
    How about I just ask a sheep does it bother him to be a chicken. Makes sense right...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    07-17-2013 05:34 PM
    I love the back of my GS4. Like every one else I put a case on when I am out in about home no case. I hope Galaxy stays with the same back. Love the SD card, and battery. Love you Galaxy S4.
    07-17-2013 05:44 PM
    How in the hell was this thread made to bash the One? And why would he ask on another forum? We're the ones who use a plastic phone o an day to day basis so the audience is perfectly targeted.
    First of all calm down,second if you can't see how this thread isn't in response to the htc one then i don't know how to explain it to him. And if people were really bothered by the s4 or s3's plastic feel then they wouldnt have the phone.
    07-17-2013 08:51 PM
    I didnt make this thread to bash One users. The HTC One isnt the only phone with aluminum. Obviously I didnt ask this in the One forum since I wanted opinions from S4 users because im getting one myself. I wanted to see if it was a problem that got in the way daily, and it doesnt seem like it does, especially with a case.
    shoii likes this.
    07-17-2013 09:27 PM
    First of all calm down,second if you can't see how this thread isn't in response to the htc one then i don't know how to explain it to him. And if people were really bothered by the s4 or s3's plastic feel then they wouldnt have the phone.
    What? I'm not even gonna bother with a lenghty response
    07-18-2013 03:21 AM
52 123