Hi.

I am unable to add or use lock screen widgets. In the lock screen settings menu I have no option to add apps/widgets (the option is missing) and lock screen widgets menu "Favourite apps or Camera" is greyed out. All these options is available (and works) after a fresh restore but it seems to disappear as soon as I use the Google Play Store...

Carrier is Three (UK).

Any advice?
    07-16-2013 03:17 AM
    Do you have a pin or some other locking mechanism in place? I know with my carrier (Verizon) if I have a pin or pattern lock you can't have widgets. The only way to get it to work is to have no security in place for unlocking your phone.
    acfvandermerwe likes this.
    07-16-2013 03:29 AM
    A big massive facepalm

Thank you!!! You saved me (and most likely my phone) from going completly insane.

You would not believe how many times I've done a fresh restore in the 2 weeks since I got my GS4 (I did 2 last night). I thought it was something dodgy I installed from the Play Store.

It's a shame you have to choose between security and easy access to frequently used apps.
    07-16-2013 03:58 AM
    Happy to help. I'm not sure if this is a Samsung thing or a carrier thing, but in my research it looks like Android itself is capable of a secure lock screen with custom widgets. Not sure the logic in disabling this feature. I've been keeping an eye out for a custom ROM or kernel that may fix it but have yet to find one.
    07-16-2013 08:36 AM
    It's a shame you have to choose between security and easy access to frequently used apps.
    That's not really unique to Android. It's always faster and easier to do something if there aren't any security steps to go through.

It would be nice if Google came up with some security protocol that an app could follow to allow it to be accessed without the PIN being required. The problem is that the protocol would have to be super robust (which isn't all that easy to do) or it would compromise the security of your phone. They have a hard enough time getting stuff like the bootloader secure and most new mobile OS's are cracked within hours of their release. The fewer exceptions they make to their security, the more actually secure the PIN will be.
    07-16-2013 09:02 AM
    I also encounter same problem, can teach me? Thank you!
    09-22-2013 11:15 PM