Closing Apps Clarification

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't use this phone often but I don't want apps running in the background after I'm done using them (Camera/maps/internet/etc). So I find myself constantly hitting the back button to close the app when finished.
Is it normal to do this or should I leave something like the Camera running in the background by pressing the home button?

Anyone know of the cpu/battery drain when closing versus leaving running as a background app? I'm familiar with holding the home button and killing the tasks manually, but is that necessary given the battery concerns?

GS4 w/ Verizon 16GB

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't use this phone often but I don't want apps running in the background after I'm done using them (Camera/maps/internet/etc). So I find myself constantly hitting the back button to close the app when finished.
Is it normal to do this or should I leave something like the Camera running in the background by pressing the home button?

Anyone know of the cpu/battery drain when closing versus leaving running as a background app? I'm familiar with holding the home button and killing the tasks manually, but is that necessary given the battery concerns?

GS4 w/ Verizon 16GB
My understanding is that it has no effect on battery. Those apps sit in RAM but don't use the CPU (unless they update something like checking the weather or for notifications or something, but chances are they'll do that no matter what). Some speculate that it takes more battery to open the apps again rather than leaving them in RAM, but I doubt it's a big drain myself.

I'd say do whatever makes you happy. I doubt you'll see a difference in battery drain either way. You can use apps like GSam Battery Monitor and Wakelock Detector to see what's actually using your battery and change settings or disable apps as necessary.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

GS4 w/ Verizon 16GB

Unless you have a problematic app, you really shouldn't need to worry about them running in the background, especially if your not a power user.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781