The good, the bad...and the brick

CarlosSpiceyW

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
HI All

Im an ex-apple Fan boy....who has had his Galaxy S4 for 3 days.

The Good.
Responsive as hell
Camera Rocks
SD card should be a standard on all cell phones no matter who makes them
Love the vivid colors.

The Bad
My first problem was with the brand new version of gmail. Every time i got mail in my notifications....instead of a list view it was a giant mother notification and then a few small ones after that. I later learned you can resize that with a swipe of your hand...then that if you uninstall the update that, that would fix it. It did....kinda. I then tried the samsung mail app...which sucked. It didnt scale to fit the content. I tried aquamail...which was ok, but not as responsive as gmail.

Second. Browsers. I know there are like a thousand of them. I started with the stock browser (which i ended up liking the best). But i had a major glitch. Every time i tried to do a google search and use search tools (time..place) it would die on me. Either freeze of would not recognize what i was trying to do. I tried them chrome...ehh, boat...ehh, next. double ehh.

I contacted a rep from samsung....and he told me to try wiping the cashe...try this try that. Even tried a factory reboot.

Nothin...

Then he tells me i might have a lemon.

Wonderful. What the ^#%#$@!! are the odds that i want to try android for the first time and i get brick.

Everything else works great....but im unsure what to do. The two things i use this phone for more then anything else....email and browsing dont work.

Anyone have any helpful hints at a fix?

Thanks

CSW:(

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I suggest you exchange the phone. This definitely shouldn't happen. I'm suprised you dont like next browser, it's really nice. :) As for email, I honestly dont know how to fix that. :eek:

Posted via Android Central App

CarlosSpiceyW

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I found a browser that works just fine....(Next) It just had a learning curve.

I have one last problem and thats with mail notifications. Why is it the first message that comes in is huge...has a delete and mark as read button that you can use to fingers to expand. With the limited screen size i have (since my wifi and aquamail ongoing notifications are there. Is there a way to make it just list view?

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

I have one last problem and thats with mail notifications. Why is it the first message that comes in is huge...has a delete and mark as read button that you can use to fingers to expand. With the limited screen size i have (since my wifi and aquamail ongoing notifications are there. Is there a way to make it just list view?

Im not sure there is a way to make it list view. :eek: It is a one giant notification on my s3 when it's more than one email, but if it's one, i get those delete and reply options under it. I hope this doesn't annoy you too much.

Posted via Android Central App

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Use the Samsung email app and add your Gmail to it....I find it much easier to use than the Gmail app....I never have used the Gmail app lol but the Email app works pretty good and has a list view, and notifications are instant

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Have you cleared the Gmail App Data, in Application manager look for Gmail, where you went to clear the Cache, but instead of just that clear the data, basically it will reset completely, so you will need to configure all your Settings, like Notifications preferences and all the stuff you have changed on Gmail. Give it a try.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

That is the default for Gmail, the first new message since the last time you cleared your notifications will come in with the message preview like that. If you get more messages, they will compact to single lines. Don't bother looking for additional settings, I'm pretty sure you can't change it. Don't bother trying to uninstall updates and deal with all that, because you'll go mad trying to cling to an outdated version of software. I know not every one likes it, but you'll probably get used to it. I don't worry too much about it stealing real estate, because it does shrink itself as needed...sometimes it's actually nice to see the content of message and know if I can immediately dismiss it right from the notification panel.

Also, if you're using Gmail, I highly suggest sticking with the builtin gmail app. The "other" general email app is nothing more than a client for pulling email down from other services, but in terms of usability, functionality, and full synchronization, the Gmail is hands down the best way to access...Gmail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae