Is there a way through root or something to turn the menu button into a multi-tasking button? The menu button is just a useless vestige of history refusing to die the infernal death it deserves.

Also, since I'm left handed, is there a way to swap the menu and back button?
    07-18-2013 02:49 AM
    Are you rooted?
    07-18-2013 02:52 AM
    Are you rooted?
    I don't have the phone yet, I'm trying to decide whether to get it, with one of my deciding factors being if I can turn the menu button into a multitasking button. But if I did get it I would root it.
    07-18-2013 02:54 AM
    I don't have the phone yet, I'm trying to decide whether to get it, with one of my deciding factors being if I can turn the menu button into a multitasking button. But if I did get it I would root it.
    It is possible to do but it is not exactly easy. Unless you find a flashable zip where someone did what you want, it involves editing text in the code. Recent apps is already mapped to a sequence of pressing the physical home button, but the capacitive buttons (back and menu) currently only serve those two functions. They could be remapped to perform the opposite tasks, however they will still look like they do out of the box.

You could turn the back lights off and get on screen buttons and do whatever you wish to them, but then you're losing some screen area.

Another alternative idea may be just to use a custom launcher like Nova Launcher Prime or Apex Launcher and use the settings in there to set gestures to do what you want. You can then use things like a 2 finger swipe from the side does x and a one finger swipe up does y, etc.
    07-18-2013 03:02 AM
    With Nova Launcher Prime I believe you can set long press menu to whatever you want also, such as recent apps, but by default I think it is pinch to zoom from the home screen.
    07-18-2013 03:06 AM
    I saw this link in relation to editing text in the code to swap the menu and back buttons (Though for the Note 2, not the GS4):

How to Swap the Menu & Back Buttons on Your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 for Easier Left-Handed Navigation Samsung Galaxy Note 2 softModder

It seems like quite an easy solution actually, but is the same method possible for making the menu button a multitasking button as well?
    07-18-2013 03:17 AM