Have update But do apps truly go on ExtSd card?

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I received the update and went through a bunch of apps in the manager and chose to move to SD Card. While looking in the manager there was an obvious change in data percentage and the apps now also reside in the new 'on SD card' menu.
However out of all the apps it apparently let me move to the card, the only thing I see new on the card is a backup file for Colornote.
For example it apparently moved data for the game Iron Man3 but there is nothing on my card from Gameloft at all. On my Pc I enabled viewing of hidden folders and nothing new is there. In fact the whole thing is still listed in my file explorer as on the internal sdcard.
Now I know not all the data moves over, and I know devs have to support the option, but it allowed me to apparently move 40 apps. There were more I chose not to move, but my point is, are they really on the external card? Are they just like super hidden so I can't even see the folders. I just don't get it. Can someone enlighten me please.

The screenshots are featuring the Iron Man game data.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-19-19-06-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-07-19-19-06-12.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_2013-07-19-19-06-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-07-19-19-06-40.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_2013-07-19-17-18-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-07-19-17-18-32.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 28

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere and right now don't remember where, that with the new upgrade not the entire app is saved into the SD card. Supposedly only a portion of it is saved.

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that I know, however there is nothing saved on my external SD card that I can see for 40 plus apps. Not a folder or a file in a folder. I see nothing. Can other people explore their external SD card and see any physical files that were moved to it?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
No they don't, applications that are movable to the sdcard are split into two types.

The base application, which runs the app and resides on your internal storage.

And the applications data which when moved to the sdcard is linked to the main app though a process called simlinking.

The data is what takes up the most space in your phone. Generally the base app only takes up a few megabytes, whereas the data can for a single app van go upwards to 3gb.

However simlinks don't survive a factory reset or accidental uninstallation of the app.

If you do a factory reset you need to delete the folder .android_secure from your sdcard. That is where all of the data resides for your apps and is encrypted so bad apps or hackers can't mess with it, and also reinstall all of your apps.

I hope this helped clarify exactly what the process is and what it does.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Even though I don't have the upgrade I think you can try this. Take the SD card out and then try to open the apps that you have supposedly saved in the SD card. If they work fine then they are not saved in the card.... however, if they are in the card you wont be able to open them or make them work normally. I believe it is just like when you save your pictures or music to the SD card, once you take the card out, the music will not be present in the phone.

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
.android_secure from your sdcard. That is where all of the data resides for your apps and is encrypted so bad apps or hackers can't mess with it, and also reinstall all of your apps.

That is exactly what I was looking for, I couldnt see that folder through my explorer, had to pop the SD card out and use a reader. Its a drag that only 36MB out of 850MB gets moved to the card but I was expecting that, I just couldn't see anything on the card so got confused. Thank you so much, and thank you fantom305 for responding.