Airplane Mode stays on with my T-Mobile GS4

kmobnyc

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, and I went on a trip to England last week, I had airplane mode on the entire time to avoid roaming charges, but when I came back to the States and tried to turn it off, it wouldn't return to normal. It says that airplane mode will be disabled, but I can't get any signal, even with WiFi. I've restarted the phone 3 times and pulled the battery twice, but the problem persists. Help, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
You may have turned something off in your networks as well. If you pull down Samsung's toolbar and hold wi-fi, can you manually connect?

BTW, you don't have to be in airplane mode to avoid data roaming charges. Just turn off data roaming over mobile networks. It is often good NOT to be in airplane mode, because you may need the occasional text message that comes through, or whatever. The phone in most places will also set your time and date for you by connecting to foreign networks, if your connected to the mobile network.

The bugaboo of course is data roaming. That can just be turned off without turning the entire network off.

Samsung Galaxy S4: Turn off/on Data Roaming - YouTube

Last edited:

bSmarts

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I solved this problem on my wife's phone by turning off the wifi calling option. I am guessing the wifi calling option on the gs4 is glitching and causing the restrictions that airplane mode enforces. Hope this helps anyone. Good luck and bSmart

FlyBri

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I solved this problem on my wife's phone by turning off the wifi calling option. I am guessing the wifi calling option on the gs4 is glitching and causing the restrictions that airplane mode enforces. Hope this helps anyone. Good luck and bSmart

You don't actually have to turn off the Wi-Fi Calling option completely. Most likely the issue was due to the option you had selected under "Wi-Fi Calling Preferences". If it was set to "Never use Cellular Network", then that is what is causing your problems -- I had the exact same issue when this was selected. All you need to do is change the option to "Wi-Fi Preferred", and you should be fine while still having Wi-Fi Calling enabled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781