Unable to move apps to External SD Card after update

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
The Sprint update to my S4 arrived enabling moving apps to SD (Android 4.2.2) and I seem to be able to only move apps to the emulated SD.

What is the benefit of that? The emulated SD is still limited to the size of the internal memory of the phone. I (stupidly) thought that this update would allow me to use the speedy 32gb External SD card ... lol...

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

Marck527

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I had this too, moved a bunch of apps on the "sd card" checked my internal storage and no change at all. I moved back all apps on internal, formatted my ext sd then tried again then it, moved it to the ext sd.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I had this too, moved a bunch of apps on the "sd card" checked my internal storage and no change at all. I moved back all apps on internal, formatted my ext sd then tried again then it, moved it to the ext sd.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Will give that a try

Zedd

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea what you are talking about, emulated SD CARD? Please explain this??
Also try doing a hard reboot of your phone , pulling the battery while the phone is turned on.
Lastly, in order for an app to be moved to your micro sd card the app must be designed to allow this.
Good Luck.

J

Posted via Android Central App on my Galaxy S4

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea what you are talking about, emulated SD CARD? Please explain this??
Also try doing a hard reboot of your phone , pulling the battery while the phone is turned on.
Lastly, in order for an app to be moved to your micro sd card the app must be designed to allow this.
Good Luck.

J

Posted via Android Central App on my Galaxy S4

My S4 came with the 16gb partitioned into two sections: apps and SD. The SD is labeled as emulated in AppsMgr Pro. In Astro I have ExtSDCard and SDCard0. The 2nd one is the emulated one... it is built into the phone (part of the main memory) and cannot be removed.

pjfayer

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, on my Samsung Galaxy S4, I see two places:
/storage/emulated/0/ vs /mnt/exSdCard/

The former is (as the name implies) "Emulated" - Not real. Faked with "Memory" (whatever that really is - some sort of flash?)
The latter is the real, physical "External" (micro-SD) card that I inserted.

The Android App manager seems to be only capable of moving apps to emulated (boo!) - Even no mention is made of this - Making the movement (essentially) ineffective.

Of course, I can store pictures, Music & etc in the real SD, and A few apps lets me browse to the latter for their storage place.
But come on Google? If I have a real SD card inserted, and I say move to SD, ASK ME WHICH ONE! - Please?