I have had a Galaxy Nexus for the last 18 months or so and I have come to despise it. I am strongly leaning towards getting an S4 but I have some reservations that I won't see the same problems as they are both Samsung phones. I believe it will be an improvement but I am hoping people that have upgraded from a Nexus to an S4 can provide comfort in that it will be. Here are my main complaints with the Nexus:

1) It constantly loses the data signal. When I go from a 4G area to a 3G area the phone seems to lose the signal and never gives me access to the 3G network. My wife has an iPhone and she never experiences this problem. At times I have to reboot the phone to get the data signal to return.
    2) It is extremely laggy. When I want to enter text into the browser it takes several seconds for it to respond and recognize what I type.
    3) It also would be nice if the S4 has a better battery life.

The first two have me wanting to break the phone at times.
    07-21-2013 11:24 PM
    The handoff between LTE to H+/H to umts seems to work without issue. Never affects my on going VOIP by much of a notice with the other party.

I've yet to experience any lag on this lag expect due to my own fault of experiential testing with precious firmware apks from the s3.

The battery seems good enough. Definitely last longer than my previous S3 that lasted longer than my previous galaxy nexus.

I say you go for it. Just avoid the verizon and ATT galaxy s4 if possible as their bootloaders are currently locked with no eta for an exploit to unlock or bypass them again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    droidRama likes this.
    07-21-2013 11:39 PM
    Oh yeah, I moved up from a GNex to an S4, and I love it. I used to turn off my LTE unless I was actually using it on the GNex. The S4, I can have Google maps navigation running and music streaming without plugging it in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    droidRama likes this.
    07-22-2013 12:09 AM
    Also went from gnex to s4. The gnex was a great phone, but the jelly bean update destroyed it. Anyway, I had all of the issues you have with the gnex, and I haven't had them on the s4.

Posted via Android Central App
    droidRama likes this.
    07-22-2013 12:39 AM
    Yes. Specially for the camera

Sent from my GT-I9500 using AC Forums mobile app
    droidRama likes this.
    07-22-2013 05:03 AM
    I came from the galaxy nexus also. Wejt I went to work I had to switch from 4g to 3g. And the thing still would not last all day. Always had to have it on charge when I came frok work etc. I loved the phone but could not stand the battery life no more. I had it since release day

Posted via Android Central App
    droidRama likes this.
    07-22-2013 06:18 AM
    In terms of a pure hardware rundown, the S4 is definitely a faster phone but it does have a lot of latency with that version of touchwiz. But if you have the pure Google play experience version, then you will definitely 'fly' on that phone.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    droidRama likes this.
    07-22-2013 07:43 AM
    I have had a Galaxy Nexus for the last 18 months or so and I have come to despise it. I am strongly leaning towards getting an S4 but I have some reservations that I won't see the same problems as they are both Samsung phones. I believe it will be an improvement but I am hoping people that have upgraded from a Nexus to an S4 can provide comfort in that it will be. Here are my main complaints with the Nexus:

1) It constantly loses the data signal. When I go from a 4G area to a 3G area the phone seems to lose the signal and never gives me access to the 3G network. My wife has an iPhone and she never experiences this problem. At times I have to reboot the phone to get the data signal to return.
    2) It is extremely laggy. When I want to enter text into the browser it takes several seconds for it to respond and recognize what I type.
    3) It also would be nice if the S4 has a better battery life.

The first two have me wanting to break the phone at times.
    1) Of the major Android phone manufacturers, Samsung has a bit of a reputation for having the poorest signal quality of the lot. In my experience, the S4 does seem better than previous Samsung phones I've owned, and though I've never owned a GNex, I do know that particular model was notorious for bad signal. I guess what I'm saying is that the S4 is probably a significant improvement in that department over the GNex (especially when it comes to switching networks 4G to 3G, etc), but still may not measure up to the iPhone or other HTC or Motorola models in terms of overall signal strength.

2) There were many comments regarding lag when this phone was first released, though I believe in many cases these were minor cases affecting aesthetics and transitions, and not so much overall performance of the phone. Also, it would seem that the latest update resolved those issues for many, based on comments in these forums. Personally, I put Nova launcher on mine when I got it and never noticed any lag at all. I can only refer to my own experience, but frankly I don't think lag should be a concern if considering this phone.

3) The battery is decent, and better than any standard battery I've had in the past. Obviously it won't compete with the likes of the Razr Maxx (whose prime selling feature is a huge battery), but I can almost guarantee it is a decent improvement over the GNex's battery. Over this past weekend, I went a full 48 hours on a single charge with around 3 hours of screen time (on wifi), and in the past I've been able to get close to 5 hours of screen time in 24 hour period on a single charge (GPS, BT, and all network services enable the entire time). Obviously your mileage may vary based on how you use your phone and things like signal strength and wifi availability and stuff like that, but I've never been able to get close to that on any previous Android phone I've owned.
    droidRama likes this.
    07-22-2013 08:08 AM
    Thanks everyone for the words of advice/encouragement. I am going to order it in the next day or so.
    07-22-2013 09:04 PM
    Thanks everyone for the words of advice/encouragement. I am going to order it in the next day or so.
    Which version of the S4 will you be getting?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    07-22-2013 11:33 PM
    I recommend the 32GB if VZW.

07-23-2013 12:09 AM
    I will be getting a black 32GB VZW. I will also be getting a 64 GB card to store mostly music. I like having a wide variety of music available.
    07-23-2013 08:55 PM
    I too switched from the Galaxy nexus and over all the S4 is a huge upgrade. The S4 is snappier, has better battery life, better radios, and a better camera. You could say one downfall of the S4 is touchwiz but you can always flash the google edition software.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    droidRama likes this.
    07-24-2013 12:53 AM
    Well, as of now you can. I wouldn't say "always"

07-26-2013 10:43 AM
    Well, as of now you can. I wouldn't say "always"

I guess so. But I dont have to worry about the bootloader mess happening with the US carriers. My Canadian S4 has an unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-27-2013 06:54 AM