S4 no longer charging at consistant 1900mAH with stock charger

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. This is making me go crazy. I use an App called CURRENT WIDGET for my S4. Which tells me how many mAH my phone is charging at, be it from my car charger, or battery pack, or in this case my stock, Samsung wall charger and USB cable.
From day 1, it has consistently charged my device at 1900mAH never straying from that level, until last night. Where it started to charge at only 1200mAH.
Nothing has changed what so ever on my phone, apps, charger, wall outlet, cable etc...
There was a software update this morning, but this started happening last night, so that's not the case either.
Can anyone explain this?
Thanks!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Does widget display the net power current while charging, or only the current from the charger itself? In other words, could the charger in fact be delivering 1.9A and the widget shows less because there processes running consuming some of that power?

I honestly have no idea...just a guess.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Oh, just to add...I can never seem to get a full 1900 mA *net* current on my phone. When using the stock charger with the phone completely idle, the highest I ever achieve is around 1700 mA. The kernel seems to start throttling the incoming current from the charger at around 90% charged as well, which is when the numbers usually begin to dip down to just under 1000 mA, then again to ~500 mA at 95% until the device reaches 100%. (This is just what I'm seeing looking over Battery Monitor Widget logs from the past few days).

If I have time, I'll give "Current Widget" a shot tonight and see what values it displays for me...

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh, just to add...I can never seem to get a full 1900 mA *net* current on my phone. When using the stock charger with the phone completely idle, the highest I ever achieve is around 1700 mA. The kernel seems to start throttling the incoming current from the charger at around 90% charged as well, which is when the numbers usually begin to dip down to just under 1000 mA, then again to ~500 mA at 95% until the device reaches 100%. (This is just what I'm seeing looking over Battery Monitor Widget logs from the past few days).

If I have time, I'll give "Current Widget" a shot tonight and see what values it displays for me...

What app are you using to monitor your mah and voltage? I would like to give it a shot to make sure current widget is NOT false reporting.
Even if it was, something caused it to drop from a stable, constant 1900 to 1200 and there are no running processes no new apps, nothing has changed at all.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
What app are you using to monitor your mah and voltage? I would like to give it a shot to make sure current widget is NOT false reporting.
Even if it was, something caused it to drop from a stable, constant 1900 to 1200 and there are no running processes no new apps, nothing has changed at all.

I just use Battery Monitor Widget. There are options for logging history, though I believe they are turned on by default.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I installed this app last night, which seems to display the current being delivered from the charger, as opposed to the net current (current from charger minus current being drawn from battery) as displayed by BMW.

Galaxy Charging Current: Check if your device is charging correctly - xda-developers (see PlayStore link for "lite" version)

The app was designed for the S3, and not all of the fields are displayed properly, but it does seem to work for displaying the current mA from the charger...

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the Samsung version of this app that tells me how how much current is charging my battery. I have found it very inconsistent! I have an inline USB adapter that measures the voltage and current being drawn on a usb cable! It disagrees with the app finding more often than not! I have tried the meter with different chargers and cable combination and the results are even more confusing. The meter seems to be more consistent than the findings of the app. I have concluded that the app is very inaccurate and I trust the meter reading more!

An example of the meter I am using can be found at this Ebay link!

USB Power Amp Meter Tester Charging Monitor Voltage Current Multimeter MA | eBay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz