Would you have bought the S4 if Samsung didn't include SD card slots?

Would you have bought the S4 if Samsung didn't include SD card slots?

• Total voters

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I believe you to be right ... I don't think internal memory will even increase at all, everything will be cloud based storage, or streaming media. We're almost there as it is.
I think we're much closer on internal storage getting bigger than we are on cloud based/streaming media being viable. It will take carriers either getting rid of or greatly increasing data caps for streaming to be cost effective for most of us. Paying $50 at the time of the phone purchase for more internal memory comes out to about $2 a month. So if it costs even $2.50 more per month to get unlimited data rather than a 2GB limit, just to be able to have all of our music with us, then it still wouldn't be worth it. Economically it will make more sense to have a phone with a lot of storage than it will a plan that gives you lots of data. Plus, people like big numbers when they look at the specs for their phones.

So I agree that several years down the road cloud based storage will be viable so we won't need a lot of internal storage, but I think we'll get big internal storage before that happens. In other words, I think the cost of storage will drop faster than the cost of bandwidth, though I am most excited for the latter.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Considering the 16gb S4 ships with about 50% of that available, I couldn't buy the S4 without a place to store all my photos, videos and music.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Nope.......Already had and HTC without it....did not enjoyed it all ......For me deal breakers are: SD card and removable battery............

Word. Both are required. And I don't even care if it is a 64gb model. I want my SD card for media files and they aren't all going to fit one way or the other. In fact, the more space you give me, the more I can use for media files.

I
So I agree that several years down the road cloud based storage will be viable so we won't need a lot of internal storage, but I think we'll get big internal storage before that happens. In other words, I think the cost of storage will drop faster than the cost of bandwidth, though I am most excited for the latter.

The cloud is NEVER going to be a perfect solution, at least not with anything resembling current technology. For the foreseeable future, there are just too many difficulties, from poor reception, to roaming data charges. It's a particular concern since I travel a lot.

I almost never use Google Play because I have an SD card. My sd card is way better than Google play. My SD card plays for free whenever I want it to, whether my phone is on or not. If I'm conserving battery and am in airplane mode (or actually on an airplane), my SD card doesn't care. It doesn't need a connection. Connectivity is all well and good--until suddenly it's not there. Anyone who's tried walking around a foreign country on vacation knows that answer.

Internal storage is not in the foreseeable going to keep up with my need for space. I have a 64gb card with about 6 gigs free. Even a 64gb storage phone, assuming the costs come down, won't satisfy my configuration. There still will be some apps and what not on the phone itself, OS, the manufacturer's own software and so on.

I might add, I can think of ways to use whatever space I am given. As it is to maximize my music library I convert down to 192 from 320. It would be nice not to have to bother. It would be nice to add some classical stuff I don't have room for. It would be nice to bring some full length videos that might take around 4gb each.

Give me space, I'll use it. Plus, with a card, my essential configuration for data is all set up. Get a new phone? Flip the card. I'm up and running. Not much copying to do for media files, ebooks, mp3s etc. Easier options for backup, too.

Cards are also pretty cheap and they tend to get a lot cheaper with time.

Last edited:

nate wilborn

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
There's no way I would have unless there was at least a 64gig model available. I already had a 64 gig SD card for my s3, so just dumping that was not an option. Made much more sense to get a phone i could continue to use it with.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The cloud is NEVER going to be a perfect solution, at least not with anything resembling current technology. For the foreseeable future, there are just too many difficulties, from poor reception, to roaming data charges. It's a particular concern since I travel a lot.

I almost never use Google Play because I have an SD card. My sd card is way better than Google play. My SD card plays for free whenever I want it to, whether my phone is on or not. If I'm conserving battery and am in airplane mode (or actually on an airplane), my SD card doesn't care. It doesn't need a connection. Connectivity is all well and good--until suddenly it's not there. Anyone who's tried walking around a foreign country on vacation knows that answer.

Internal storage is not in the foreseeable going to keep up with my need for space. I have a 64gb card with about 6 gigs free. Even a 64gb storage phone, assuming the costs come down, won't satisfy my configuration. There still will be some apps and what not on the phone itself, OS, the manufacturer's own software and so on.

I might add, I can think of ways to use whatever space I am given. As it is to maximize my music library I convert down to 192 from 320. It would be nice not to have to bother. It would be nice to add some classical stuff I don't have room for. It would be nice to bring some full length videos that might take around 4gb each.

Give me space, I'll use it. Plus, with a card, my essential configuration for data is all set up. Get a new phone? Flip the card. I'm up and running. Not much copying to do for media files, ebooks, mp3s etc. Easier options for backup, too.

Cards are also pretty cheap and they tend to get a lot cheaper with time.
Then I predict you'll be very disappointed in a couple years. ;)

I'm not claiming there aren't reasons to have a micro SC card, just that in the not too distant future the reasons not to include them in a design will surpass the reasons to include them. I think those that really see the benefits of using external storage will be out of luck, not wrong for wanting it.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying your point.

I don't think there will be a shortage of providers with removable storage, though. Clearly, consumers have divided rather dramatically into different camps. There are a lot of people who want external storage. Given the aggressiveness of the marketplace, someone will service that community. If it becomes a niche instead of mainstream, so be it--but someone will service it.

In fact, I hear HTC's next hot product has...removable storage. Because they want to serve everyone and provide choices, they said.

That's the Android way--choices, diversity, options.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
If it becomes a niche instead of mainstream, so be it--but someone will service it
I'm not so sure that removable storage will always be supported. A vast majority of people who want microSD slots generally just want more storage, not necessarily removable storage. You can get more storage internally by just adding another eMMC rather than a uSD connector and it's much easier and probably better supported in Android. Remember that it's not only hardware that has to be made (which is way harder, BTW) and separate drivers for a removable uSD card have to be written and supported for each version of Android. So for them to continue to support it for a niche market you'll likely be giving up other features or performance, hence a disappointing phone compared to other phones for a similar price.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not so sure that removable storage will always be supported. A vast majority of people who want microSD slots generally just want more storage, not necessarily removable storage. You can get more storage internally by just adding another eMMC rather than a uSD connector and it's much easier and probably better supported in Android. Remember that it's not only hardware that has to be made (which is way harder, BTW) and separate drivers for a removable uSD card have to be written and supported for each version of Android. So for them to continue to support it for a niche market you'll likely be giving up other features or performance, hence a disappointing phone compared to other phones for a similar price.

Sorry, but I don't agree.

You're forgetting practicality. SD cards have so many advantages. They are cheap and easily replaceable. They can outlast phones. It makes so much sense. There will always be demand for them.

All that storage on tiny little phones--not so cost effective at the moment. Include in that calculation that people change phones frequently. I have some SD cards that have outlasted 3 phones so far. So, you pay a premium for extreme phone storage space and THEN some people trade the phone in every 1-2 years anyway while the SD card costs decline and the card could just have been flipped and used again.

When they come out with 128gb phones for an extra $30, I might become interested. :) Even then, if someone tells me I can also stick a 128gb card in it and double the space, I'll be interested in that. Whenever people make space available--software makers and consumers find ways to use it. You know, my first computer had 20 megs. MEGS, not Gigs. With every new innovation, someone found a way to make use of space and demanded more and more space. That's life. It won't be easy for the foreseeable future to put max space on tiny little phones (or for that matter tiny little cards). The two together will provide the greatest options. I guess that's why even HTC has seen the light and is talking about a new model that has SD card slots. Maybe they got tired of hearing "deal breaker." If the HTC One had removable batteries and an SD card slot, I wonder how much more intense the competition would've been with the S4.

There is always going to be demand. In a market where some people are desperate for sales and to do SOMETHING to distinguish themselves, there will be someone to service that demand. But until there is some major change in the ability to sell huge storage space internally for next to nothing, I don't even think it will be a mere niche.

If I wanted the Apple model, I would've bought Apple. :)

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but I don't agree.

You're forgetting practicality. SD cards have so many advantages. They are cheap and easily replaceable. They can outlast phones. It makes so much sense. There will always be demand for them.

All that storage on tiny little phones--not so cost effective at the moment. Include in that calculation that people change phones frequently. I have some SD cards that have outlasted 3 phones so far. So, you pay a premium for extreme phone storage space and THEN some people trade the phone in every 1-2 years anyway while the SD card costs decline and the card could just have been flipped and used again.

When they come out with 128gb phones for an extra $30, I might become interested. :)
You're not arguing that I'm wrong. You're only arguing that my logic doesn't apply to current phones. That has nothing to do with my prediction. In fact the last line I quoted shows that you think I'm right. Once pricing for internal memory gets low enough, the demand for extremal storage will drop to almost zero. Transferring the data from one phone to another is trivial, even without external storage. I doubt any expert in data storage will recommend using an SD card as your only location for data you want to keep, so using it to transfer data from one phone to another is only a very minor convenience and not something I think most people are willing to pay for. Synching contacts, videos, music and photos is ridiculously easy and can be done automatically.

Once internal memory gets cheap enough, the demand (as in what people will spend money on, not what they claim they "need" on a forum) for external memory (which can be done using a USB flash drive, anyway) will severely drop. Both designing in and supporting a uSD slot is a lot more costly than most people realize (look how many problems people have with SD cards, I have yet to have an Android phone that hasn't had some issue) so if that demand drops much more it won't be worth the manufacturers' time and energy to support them.

If you look at the reason people want much more memory (media) and then examine devices specifically designed for that, you'll see that the market is very heavily dominated by devices without removable storage. People don't care about the "removable" part, they care about the "storage" part. Once there's enough non-removable storage, they won't care whether or not it's removable. Obviously this won't apply to every human on the planet, but considering that it's difficult to both implement in hardware and software, I believe those humans who really want it to be removable will be out of luck.

If the market is still big enough then I could see storage add-on modules that plug into the USB port that give you extra storage being popular, though, just like how they have external battery pack cases for phones now.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
You're not arguing that I'm wrong. You're only arguing that my logic doesn't apply to current phones. That has nothing to do with my prediction. ....
If the market is still big enough then I could see storage add-on modules that plug into the USB port that give you extra storage being popular, though, just like how they have external battery pack cases for phones now.

I thought I did discuss several relevant issues to your prediction. At the least, certainly, it's going to be a LONG, long time for internal memory on these tiny phones to (a) get so big that even media junkies like me are happy; and (b) be cheap enough to be competitive at the same time. These changes come slowly. How long, for instance, did it take before lots of 64gb micro sd cards were around? These phones are very small. They aren't coming out with 2tb drives any time foreseeable.

Even then, just to be clear that I'm not discussing just today, as I also discussed that begs the other issues. SD cards will always have the utility I spoke of for backups, for quick changes, outlasting phones, and so on. That's not going away. They are far more convenient than internal storage for media storage. If something makes sense, and it does, I think, there will be demand for it. "The future" also does not change the pattern I discussed of software makers and consumers always finding ways to use more space if they have more space. That's how the computing field has gone for a long time. It's the rule, not the exception, and If they come out with a cost effective 128gb phone in 2 years, that doesn't mean, as I said, that an extra sd card slot will be irrelevant. People will find uses for it. They always do. That was the purpose my analogy to my old 20 meg computer. If you want another such analogy, I remember when it was an amazing thing to buy a card you had to install that would give you an extra 80 megs. Wow. Who could foresee a use for more than that? I actually remember people saying that. If people have 20 gigs, someone will find ways to use it. If they have 200 gigs, people will find ways to use that. (Hmmmm...HD, 3d videos anyone?)

I.e, no matter how cheap or big internal storage gets, there will always be people who can find uses for more, for both convenience and space.

The external battery pack analogy is incredibly inconvenient. It's something else to carry and it changes the shape of the phone. The concept that an sd card slot will be replaced by having another widget to carry and plug in, making hard to hold the phone or prop it up in some cases, is hard to see. That's not a substitute, except in emergencies or for infrequent uses. It doesn't substitute for media files always in your hand whenever you want them.

It's going to be a long time, if ever, before the logic and convenience of SD cards are completely superseded. They have too many advantages at low cost. Maybe someday someone somewhere will come up with some magical invention we can't even envision. But at the moment, I can't foresee not wanting an SD card slot.

Last edited:

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
It's going to be a long time, if ever, before the logic and convenience of SD cards are completely superseded. They have too many advantages at low cost. Maybe someday someone somewhere will come up with some magical invention we can't even envision. But at the moment, I can't foresee not wanting an SD card slot.

couldn't agree with you more! :)

I think Google made the conscious decision to leave out SD cards slots on devices it has control over
is purely a financial decision. There is absolutely no technical reason that I can think of. Google
makes a lot more money by making you get your music and movies over the cloud using Google Music
or Movie services. If you watch movies store on your phone/tablet, they make $0. The cell phone
carriers, after getting rid of unlimited data for most people, are probably pretty happy about the lack
of SD slots as well? :D

Sams can be said about non-removable phone batteries. The manufacturers(iPhone, HTC, Motorola)
claim non-removable batteries make the phones thinner by 1mm or 2mm. Can most people really
tell the difference? I think not. The manufacturers are hoping that you buy a new phone once your
non-removable battery starts to die. Makes perfect financial sense to me.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
These changes come slowly. How long, for instance, did it take before lots of 64gb micro sd cards were around?
Flash memory has been following Moore's law, so it took about 18 months to go from 32G cards to 64GB cards. That means in another year and a half, people will consider 32GB small for a flagship phone and the upper end models will have 128GB. In three years 64GB will be the low end and 256GB will be the high end. Of course there are people who consider 32 to be the minimum for a flagship phone now, so you can double those numbers if you believe them. Media file sizes have not been following Moore's Law. There's little chance a movie that comes out in three years will be four times the size of a movie that just came out. Media storage size changes slowly, computing storage changes quickly. My media library has only marginally increased over that time. In fact the storage internal to my phone is 32 times larger than it was in 2010 (if you go back one more phone it's 800 times bigger) but my media library is, at most 30% larger . I'm saying that storage capacity in phones is catching up to media file size. PC's went from having hard drives barely capable of holding one CD to easily holding entire libraries of CD's. Now they're holding entire libraries of movies. The desire to hold an entire library of movies on a PC isn't what pushed the advancement of how much space was available on a PC. It's just something someone found they could do with all of the extra storage because storage got so cheap.

These phones are very small. They aren't coming out with 2tb drives any time foreseeable.
But the number of transistors you can fit in one doubles every year and a half, and that's assuming no improvements in PCB manufacturing. That means we'll have 2TB drives in phones in 7.5 years. That's assuming cloud storage doesn't slow down the demand for internal storage, which may happen as well.

SD cards will always have the utility I spoke of for backups, for quick changes, outlasting phones, and so on. That's not going away.
So does cloud storage. You don't have to worry about breaking or losing your cloud, either and it's backed up automatically. Those are all advantages removable storage does not have.
They are far more convenient than internal storage for media storage.
I don't agree with that. If that were the case then MP3 players would use removable storage and they don't. The whole point of consolidating devices is that you don't need removable storage. There's no advantage to taking it out becasue there's nothing else to put it in to.

If something makes sense, and it does, I think, there will be demand for it. "The future" also does not change the pattern I discussed of software makers and consumers always finding ways to use more space if they have more space.
But they use the space they have after it's available, they don't push hard for more space once it's there. They weren't making big arrays of 20 meg hard drives in their homes to try to store their CD's. They just found someting to do with the extra Gigs of space because that's what came with their computer.

That's how the computing field has gone for a long time. It's the rule, not the exception, and If they come out with a cost effective 128gb phone in 2 years, that doesn't mean, as I said, that an extra sd card slot will be irrelevant. People will find uses for it. They always do.
But they'll only find uses if it's there. They may not demand it.
That was the purpose my analogy to my old 20 meg computer. If you want another such analogy, I remember when it was an amazing thing to buy a card you had to install that would give you an extra 80 megs. Wow. Who could foresee a use for more than that? I actually remember people saying that. If people have 20 gigs, someone will find ways to use it. If they have 200 gigs, people will find ways to use that. (Hmmmm...HD, 3d videos anyone?)

I.e, no matter how cheap or big internal storage gets, there will always be people who can find uses for more, for both convenience and space.
Again, that's the user finding uses for extra space they're given, not users demanding more and more space. The use of the space is following the technology, not pushing it. You also have to consider the trend of cloud/streaming media becoming more popular. As that grows, the number of people who need any media storage is shrinking. There's nothing that's pushing people's media libraries to get exponentially larger. There are only things that are pushing them to get smaller. I already have several TB of movies on my phone. It's called Netflix. Not everyone will use those services, but it's another thing reducing the need for external/expandable storage.

It's going to be a long time, if ever, before the logic and convenience of SD cards are completely superseded. They have too many advantages at low cost.
The only advantage most see is the low cost. You keep ignoring the huge disadvantages the manufacturers see. If people are only using a feature becasue it's there and not becasue they're demanding it, then it will get dropped, especially if it's as big of a pain to implement as an external SD slot. As the demand for external storage is lowered by rising amounts of internal storage it will get to a point where it's not worth including in a design. Considering that one of the biggest debates in the Android world right now is whether or not you should get the HTC One or Galaxy S4 (there's a similar debate between the Droid DNA and Galaxy S3 on Verizon), it appears as if we're already half way there.

The trend has already started. It used to be that pretty much every Android device had a micro SD slot. It wasn't a flagship phone if it didn't have one. Now more and more, top of the line phones are being designed without them. That trend will continue as internal memory get cheaper, it won't reverse.

Long story short(er), you're making a lot of arguments for why we will get more storage in the future, but no real solid arguments for why that storage needs to be removable. The size of removable storage that's widely used has been eclipsed by internal storage since the introduction of the hard drive. The only reason removable storage is used in phones is because internal storage was so low compared to the size of media files and that's getting to not be a problem anymore. No one was swapping out 20Meg hard drives when that's all that was available. Zip type drives never really caught on. USB thumb drives are tiny compared to hard drives. People want storage, they don't need removable storage for a portable device. You're already carrying it with you, what's the advantage of being able to turn it into two things you're carrying with you that will make it worth the hardware, software and customer service headaches the manufacturer's see?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
There is absolutely no technical reason that I can think of.
I take it you don't design mobile computing products, then.

First you have to consider mechanical design. Where will the slot go that will make it accessible to the user? How will you protect is so it doesn't break? How much longer will it take to figure out the design of the form factor because someone has to get at this extra slot? How much weaker will the overall design be because of it.

Next there's electrical concerns. Can you route it good enough to get good signal integrity, even though it's in the most inconvenient place possible because someone has to get at it?

Next there's testing. How do you make sure a connector like that is soldered correctly? It's not as easy as you might think. You pretty much have to have someone put in a card, verifity you can read and write from it and then remove the card. Even if that only takes 30 seconds per unit that's 167k man hours (one person working 19 years) to ship the 20 million phones. So you have to send them out not completely tested.

That leads to customer service. How many threads are there about SD cards not working in phones? Apps have even been made to remount cards because they don't work as reliably as internal memory. I used them in my Droid, Droid X2 and have had to remount the card in my Galaxy S4.

Then there's software. You need drivers. You need ways to check to see if the card is there in each app that might use it. You need to figure out what each app will do if it doesn't see it. You need to support whatever file system might be on the card. You need to make sure you can handle it if the transfer speed isn't as good as you'd expect.

Sams can be said about non-removable phone batteries. The manufacturers(iPhone, HTC, Motorola)
claim non-removable batteries make the phones thinner by 1mm or 2mm. Can most people really
tell the difference? I think not. The manufacturers are hoping that you buy a new phone once your
non-removable battery starts to die. Makes perfect financial sense to me.
There's also that the case is much stronger if you don't have to have it open. You don't need to design and test latches that won't break or get bent so they're useless (I'm looking at your Motorola Droid). I'm more inclined to agree that a removable batter is a good idea, however, I've never had a battery die on an Android phone (4 phones between my wife and I with 2 years on each phone), so I'm not sure how big of a deal it really is. I expect removable batteries to stick around, though. I'm just not sure it will be a deciding factor for me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't matter to me. I mean I had a S3 and had a SD card but never really used the card to much.

My gf got the S4 and I just gave her the SD card so.. Guess it worked out :).

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe you to be right ... I don't think internal memory will even increase at all, everything will be cloud based storage, or streaming media. We're almost there as it is.

I'm always a little surprised by people who seem to always have reliable access to "the cloud". Who are you, and where do you live, and how do you use your gadgets?

I think it is likely that manufacturers will stop supporting physical external storage in a few years. But I think large internal storage will be available for the foreseeable future.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
So does cloud storage. You don't have to worry about breaking or losing your cloud, either and it's backed up automatically. Those are all advantages removable storage does not have.

The one thing about cloud is that is it truly safe? Especially with the PRISM thing with the Government...that has always been my issue with cloud storage is that its not private. There is no privacy in it, no matter what claims any company says. Also all your information is being relied on someone else to take care of....so say their servers go down for some reason (which happened with Instagram during the hurricane i believe 2 yrs ago), then what???? lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae