Galaxy S4 - water damage

inphoenix

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
The phone could not resist the pool in this heat and went swimming for about 20 seconds. I got it out, yelled at it and told it to never do it again. Then I took the battery, Sim and SD card out and dried it. Finally, took it to a shop that disassembled it and cleaned the inside using an alcohol based solution. But the phone could not be be revived fully. It shows the boot up screen and then goes blank and vibrates a couple of times.

Now, if it is plugged in at the boot up time, it will boot up fine BUT the battery keeps showing 100% and will not go down at all. Also the capacitive buttons don't work. Rest everything works just fine.

Any suggestions on these two issues? I am thinking of getting a new battery and trying it. Don't need an extended battery just a replacement of OEM. Any links to that would be appreciated.

Any tips on the capacitive buttons? (Other than Button Saviour like apps)?

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The phone is basically borked when it comes to booting up when not plugged in on a charger and when trying to use the capacitive buttons. A friend of mine had this issue and simply bought a refurbished Galaxy S4 from eBay and switched the parts out. (He had the international S4)

Well, either that or you may have not let the phone dry long enough. What method did you use to dry the phone and how long did you leave it to dry?

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
The first 3 things that you did were good but the problem is how you dried it out..... normally what other people has done besides taking the battery, sim card, and sd card out is try a hair drier and them placing it in rice for a couple of days to absorb the rest of the humidity inside the phone before powering it again. I hope you have insurance.

inphoenix

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Well, either that or you may have not let the phone dry long enough. What method did you use to dry the phone and how long did you leave it to dry?

After being soaked & brush cleaned it was left on a drying rack with a gentle blower on for 24 hours.

The first 3 things that you did were good but the problem is how you dried it out..... normally what other people has done besides taking the battery, sim card, and sd card out is try a hair drier and them placing it in rice for a couple of days to absorb the rest of the humidity inside the phone before powering it again. I hope you have insurance.

It was left in a rice bag for 2 days before soaking in isopropyl alcohol, cleaning and drying described above. Sorry, but using a drier is not recommended as it can cause more damage to components. No I don't have insurance.

Your responses are appreciated.

bentyasoo3

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
hi, yesterday i dropped my galaxy s4 in the toiltet, as soon as i heard it drop, I grabbed it really fast, took the case, cover and battery out and blow dried it on cold for a few minutes. Then I tried to turn it on, but little blue light at the top comes on, and the small button lights at the bottom came on as well. It also vibrates because of the messages i received. The marks in the phone that show if its water damaged are still all white.. Ive placed it in dry rice with the SD card, SIM, and battery out. Is there hopes that my S4 will work again? It's been in the rice for about 20 hours now.

Alyssa Dayment

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
did yours end up working?? I did EXACTLY the same thing as you, and all the same steps.

- - - Updated - - -

"hi, yesterday i dropped my galaxy s4 in the toiltet, as soon as i heard it drop, I grabbed it really fast, took the case, cover and battery out and blow dried it on cold for a few minutes. Then I tried to turn it on, but little blue light at the top comes on, and the small button lights at the bottom came on as well. It also vibrates because of the messages i received. The marks in the phone that show if its water damaged are still all white.. Ive placed it in dry rice with the SD card, SIM, and battery out. Is there hopes that my S4 will work again? It's been in the rice for about 20 hours now"
Did it work?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca