Just got my S4 today and wow...someone needs to slap samsung

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
someone needs to slap Samsung for all this crapware they install...jeesh...I read on here there was a lot but wow...I am used to Motorola and they don't come close to the crap on this Sammy device.
overall nice phone...feels cheap built tho, plastic back...wish either moto would put in the hardware Sammy does or same would build theirs like moto does...cant get one company to do both...good guts and good build. Nice screen, fast, very responsive..but the crapware isout of control and I cant disable that stupid Samsung hub...

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Did you get the 16GB S4 or 32GB S4? If you have the former, I hope you're alright with only having 8.8GBs of usable internal storage.

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I got the 32 gig one, it did not come with a sdcard so I took the one that CAME with my moto razr and put it in my S4...I don't have hardly any apps on mine and its showing like 22 gb free space..

hakimmmmm

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
A lot of those bloatwares can be disabled and for the remaining you got a root and remove it.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
And a lot of the bloatware comes from your carrier, not Samsung. If you root and use Titanium Backup you can freeze or delete any and all of that cr@p.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
someone needs to slap Samsung for all this crapware they install...jeesh...I read on here there was a lot but wow...I am used to Motorola and they don't come close to the crap on this Sammy device.
overall nice phone...feels cheap built tho, plastic back...wish either moto would put in the hardware Sammy does or same would build theirs like moto does...cant get one company to do both...good guts and good build. Nice screen, fast, very responsive..but the crapware isout of control and I cant disable that stupid Samsung hub...

If you don't like the stuff, don't use it. Android is about choices. Everyone has a different model. If you want plain vanilla, buy a Nexus. Samsung is known for a million and one features. It's their calling card.

There are so many things on it I love these days. I never realized how much I'd love the hover feature, for instance. It's so convenient in various ways. It works best in Gallery and in just waving your hand over the phone when it's off so you don't have to pick it up to check time or missed calls and emails. Then,there's Watch-on. Way cool. There are also the cool overlays, like the very convenient drop down toolbar that makes it easy to access various functions. Love the camera modes.

I don't use a lot of other things. Group play--bleh. Doesn't hurt much being there, though. Just uninstalled Samsung Link updates. Reduced its footprint, made it a non-issue. Shrug.

If the stuff wasn't there, I wouldn't have played with it and decided what I wanted.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. If you don't care for a thread or post, I suggest that you just move on. Personal attacks, insults, or bickering will not be tolerated.

Thread has been cleaned up.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Soon, if not now already, you can flash the Google Edition ROM for your device.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

Well this isn't the kind of post I wanted to see right before mine arrives tomorrow. LOL.

thornesone

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Opinions...VMMV! I don't use much of the TW, only screen stay, WatchON, and hand wave when the screen is off. Nova Launcher is a must have along with SwiftKey.

Posted via Android Central App using my awesome S4!

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

About Samsung hub... James27007 says it better than I could in the thread link below...

Are you talking about the Media hub, because that only takes 1.93MB of your 11,233.3MB of space (or 0.0172%). Since the only way to remove it 100% is to root the phone. The issue there is that the superuser apk you need for root takes up 1.4 MB then the SU binary and whatever else needs to be installed for root and the custom recovery will take up more than the 0.5MB left over. Meaning you will end up taking up more space on the phone in the process of removing the app.

So my $0.02, just disable the app and not worry about it, unless you want to root your phone

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...o-i-remove-samsung-video-hub-permanently.html

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I guess it's just me, but for life of me, I cannot figure out why some folks are so hung up on the plastic backs on the phone...they are easily changed out or more often completely covered by a case. Cmon folks these are not Apple so get over it!

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I guess i'm hung up on it because i prefer a sturdy, quality feel that my One provides. To me thats more important than a inner changeable battery and a removable plastic cover that has a very flimsy feel.

Good thing we have choices right. Some folks that are very heavy users want/need the option to change their battery on the fly and for them its an easy choice as well

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

What kind of bloatwares are you referring to? S Memo?

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I guess i'm hung up on it because i prefer a sturdy, quality feel that my One provides. To me thats more important than a inner changeable battery and a removable plastic cover that has a very flimsy feel.

Good thing we have choices right. Some folks that are very heavy users want/need the option to change their battery on the fly and for them its an easy choice as well

What I understand about construction (which I know a bit about) is that aluminum is a poor choice of material for external frames on electronic devices.
It's soft, and easily malleable unless you put a nice chunk of it.
Plastic on the other hand will shield internals far better than aluminum. The studies I've researched all pointed to high quality plastics with metal roll cages to be far better from a durability perspective.

The HTC One may feel sturdier but that's all it really is: feel. At the end of the day a drop at a bad place (screen) will result in damage for both phones while drops in more convenient places will yield slightly better results with the S4..

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
What I understand about construction (which I know a bit about) is that aluminum is a poor choice of material for external frames on electronic devices.
It's soft, and easily malleable unless you put a nice chunk of it.
Plastic on the other hand will shield internals far better than aluminum. The studies I've researched all pointed to high quality plastics with metal roll cages to be far better from a durability perspective.

The HTC One may feel sturdier but that's all it really is: feel. At the end of the day a drop at a bad place (screen) will result in damage for both phones while drops in more convenient places will yield slightly better results with the S4..

The problem with people is that they see the terms "plastic" and "metal" and assume the metal is far better. And they all fall under that illusion of the "feeling" of the devices. That's why I laugh at people who try to use the plastic feeling excuse to talk down about Samsung products.

Posted via Android Central App

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I miss Moto's radios. Those phones would have service in a black hole. But every moto I've owned (Atrix, Bionic, and Razr Maxx) has had serious issues. Had to try something else, and the S4 seemed like the best choice.

Sent from my Samsung S4.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree 100% that any phone with a glass screen can and does break depending on the fall and angle of impact. I mean its a phone after all. I also agree that if the plastic back on the S4 does break its easy to replace. Whereas the htc one is more of an all in approach. Just from my own experience with my aluminum htc evo and not my htc one i find it to be very durable as far as phone's go.

My evo took multiple falls most common being from my car seat when i got out of my truck and had it on my lap. My One i'm trying to be more careful with lol My daughters s3 cracked from a fall of less than 12" (Screen) and i dont fault that from the plastic covering either. Just a bad fall but personal exp shows the aluminum to be more sturdy (in my cases so far)

Being a household that has both Htc and Samsung products shows that i do like both phones, just prefer the durability of the aluminum as i've seen it so far

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
a lot of the bloatware says "Samsung" this, Samsung that...there is a ton of Samsung branded crapware..some of it cannot be disabled like the Samsung hub

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
A lot of it depends on your definition of "crapware" or "bloatware"...for one thing, carriers do add their own software (and for the most part I agree that this can go!), but then Samsung certainly has plenty of their own apps on this device as well...but is any of Samsung's stuff really crapware?

The "Galaxy S" series of Samsung phones are their flagship. They are meant to have ALL the bells and whistles and new-fangled gadgets. There should be no surprise to this, as many of these features are the cornerstone of their marketing. I realize not everyone wants or needs most of the stuff that comes pre-loaded on the S4...many call it "gimmicks", others "bloat", etc...but without it, would it really be a Samsung Galaxy S phone?!?

I think of it like buying a luxury car, like a Lexus, then complaining that you don't need heated leather seats or individual climate controls or rear-view defrosters or power windows (etc). Of course you don't *need* those features, people have been driving for years without them, but if you really didn't want any of them, then why did you buy a high-end luxury car in the first place? The second part of this, of course, that some folks legitimately want those features, and that's why they buy cars that have them.

I guess my point is that if you don't want all those bells and whistles, there are plenty of other options, like the Nexus 4...there's even a Google Ed. of the GS4 that has almost none of the Samsung software.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12