Just got my S4 today and wow...someone needs to slap samsung

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
the razr has a Kevlar back, now if the s4 had used Kevlar like the razr..that would have been really nice.

What I understand about construction (which I know a bit about) is that aluminum is a poor choice of material for external frames on electronic devices.
It's soft, and easily malleable unless you put a nice chunk of it.
Plastic on the other hand will shield internals far better than aluminum. The studies I've researched all pointed to high quality plastics with metal roll cages to be far better from a durability perspective.

The HTC One may feel sturdier but that's all it really is: feel. At the end of the day a drop at a bad place (screen) will result in damage for both phones while drops in more convenient places will yield slightly better results with the S4..

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree 100% that any phone with a glass screen can and does break depending on the fall and angle of impact. I mean its a phone after all. I also agree that if the plastic back on the S4 does break its easy to replace. Whereas the htc one is more of an all in approach. Just from my own experience with my aluminum htc evo and not my htc one i find it to be very durable as far as phone's go.

My evo took multiple falls most common being from my car seat when i got out of my truck and had it on my lap. My One i'm trying to be more careful with lol My daughters s3 cracked from a fall of less than 12" (Screen) and i dont fault that from the plastic covering either. Just a bad fall but personal exp shows the aluminum to be more sturdy (in my cases so far)

Being a household that has both Htc and Samsung products shows that i do like both phones, just prefer the durability of the aluminum as i've seen it so far

Better how so? You mentioned the s3 breaking was a bad fall. So how exactly is it better when you have yet to see the results of a drop with a plastic case that wasnt a bad fall?
Only thing to conclude is that aluminum phones can withstand some falls.

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
overall its a nice phone...a lot different from the moto phones I had...moto is the only phone I have used since the original droid came out. screen is brighter, crisper, faster response, lots of options to change things...make sure you get a case or something for it..its big but not to big. overall you will be happy I think. crapware is just annoying...some can be disabled, some cant..no SD card in it either...you have to add your own.

Well this isn't the kind of post I wanted to see right before mine arrives tomorrow. LOL.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
overall its a nice phone...a lot different from the moto phones I had...moto is the only phone I have used since the original droid came out. screen is brighter, crisper, faster response, lots of options to change things...make sure you get a case or something for it..its big but not to big. overall you will be happy I think. crapware is just annoying...some can be disabled, some cant..no SD card in it either...you have to add your own.

I have two cases and an 32gb Sd card coming with it. I'm sure I'll like it.

Shon123

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I got more bloatware from At&t :mad: .... I do like the fact that I stumbled upon an HP printer plugin app which was already on my phone which let's me print from my phone to my HP printer :) ... Wish I could just delete tat other bloatware to free up space though!

Storm_75

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I am a new Galaxy S4 user myself; coming from several models of Moto Droids...

I understand Samsung (and VZW) including all of the apps and what many consider bloatware.

For the life of me, what I don't understand, is them taking away the ability to delete what the end-user doesn't want?
Why is this...?

Do they really think they can force some users to use an app they wish gone so bad they want to permanently delete?

Doesn't make sense to this guy...

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I am a new Galaxy S4 user myself; coming from several models of Moto Droids...

I understand Samsung (and VZW) including all of the apps and what many consider bloatware.

For the life of me, what I don't understand, is them taking away the ability to delete what the end-user doesn't want?
Why is this...?

Do they really think they can force some users to use an app they wish gone so bad they want to permanently delete?

Doesn't make sense to this guy...

You are quite right about that. But that isn't unique to Samsung. THe amount of crap T-Mobile and Htc gave me combined was incredible.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
My daughter's phone history is hand me downs from the Centro, htc Diamond, Samsung Intercept to her current S3.

Now i bought The One and she is in love with it, loves the zoe's, highlights, and action shot. She loves the feel and the look and loves the bright screen but.. She cant go without the Sammy bloat. She's just used to how her s3 operates and she likes the native music app above all others lol Its just what you like and whats most comfortable

I like many call it bloat but the truth is many people like the features which is really what it is

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
someone needs to slap Samsung for all this crapware they install...jeesh...I read on here there was a lot but wow...I am used to Motorola and they don't come close to the crap on this Sammy device.
overall nice phone...feels cheap built tho, plastic back...wish either moto would put in the hardware Sammy does or same would build theirs like moto does...cant get one company to do both...good guts and good build. Nice screen, fast, very responsive..but the crapware isout of control and I cant disable that stupid Samsung hub...

Did you do any research on the device? Unless it's carrier installed bloatware, all of the Samsung stuff is well documented. And all of it can be turned off. One person's bloatware is another's favorite feature.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
someone needs to slap Samsung for all this crapware they install...jeesh...I read on here there was a lot but wow...I am used to Motorola and they don't come close to the crap on this Sammy device.
overall nice phone...feels cheap built tho, plastic back...wish either moto would put in the hardware Sammy does or same would build theirs like moto does...cant get one company to do both...good guts and good build. Nice screen, fast, very responsive..but the crapware isout of control and I cant disable that stupid Samsung hub...

a lot of the bloatware says "Samsung" this, Samsung that...there is a ton of Samsung branded crapware..some of it cannot be disabled like the Samsung hub

You said in another thread you were paying for the full retail for the phone.

Why didn't you get the Google Edition?

If you say you wanted the TouchWiz features, then you are going to have to accept the features and apps that Samsung includes.

You might as well say you want Apple not to include iTunes in the iPhone.

Carrier bloatware is one thing but complaining about Samsung's own stuff on the Samsung phone you bought, well that is really an unreasonable expectation.

Especially since at this time the Google Edition version.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You slapped them some cash for that S4...root or flash and the bloatware is easy to remove. You could have waited on the moto x...or even flash to GE ROM...

But, I agree that the bloat from my carrier AT&T and Samsung is getting out of control! I went with the 32GB version for that reason. Also I recieved my Google Edition S4 this week! SO nice to only see google apps and no bloat!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
How much space is used on the google edition vs the at&t version? are we talking MB or GB of space difference?

Significant difference. The Google Edition S4 had 12.5 GB available. Not sure about the TW S4, it depends on the carrier. I had about 24.5 GB on my 32GB model but I think the ATT model had about 9.6 GB or somewhere around there.

after loading up all my apps I have about 11.6 GB available on my Google Edition S4.

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
ya that pre-installed hp printer app does me no good, I have a canon printer..

I got more bloatware from At&t :mad: .... I do like the fact that I stumbled upon an HP printer plugin app which was already on my phone which let's me print from my phone to my HP printer :) ... Wish I could just delete tat other bloatware to free up space though!

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I was waiting on the moto X until the specs on it were released...also all of my moto phones had crappy cameras...the S4 camera is way better..where do you get the google edition at?

You slapped them some cash for that S4...root or flash and the bloatware is easy to remove. You could have waited on the moto x...or even flash to GE ROM...

But, I agree that the bloat from my carrier AT&T and Samsung is getting out of control! I went with the 32GB version for that reason. Also I recieved my Google Edition S4 this week! SO nice to only see google apps and no bloat!

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

Sigh...It's starting to feel like groundhog day around here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12