07-29-2013 05:13 PM
32 12
tools
    I think Samsung realizes that many (if not most) use a case so whether they texture the backside is inconsequentual to most. If you're concerned about the slickness of the back cover you're prolly more likely to be using a case. I know there are folks that insist on using their phones naked so they can stuff them easier into the front pocket of their skinny jeans but is this the majority?

Sent from my Element Eclipsed S4
    Passive-aggressive much?

I'm a middle aged man who usually wears shorts, or chinos. I carry my own phone in my shirt pocket as long as it fits, because that's what I've been doing since my first company-issued BlackBerry pager in 1999. Because it's my job, I also have to carry every popular Android smartphone, so I usually wear cargo pants when I'm out doing something -- I need the pocket space to lug around a Nexus 4, a GS4, an HTC One, and an iPhone.

The fact is that some people don't like what you like.
    Some of us even expect more from the world's biggest electronics company, and market leader for smartphone hardware.
    But some just accept what they are given and say everyone else is wrong.
    07-28-2013 11:43 AM
    Jerry, I think your smartphone usage and carrying patterns may demonstrate the exception, not the rule, but I could again be wrong. The skinny-jean comment is targeted at a typical usage scenario for a great many. Obviously, that doesn't mean these are the only individuals who choose not to protect their phones with a case...for whatever reason.

No matter what the leading electronics manufacturers make they can't please everyone. Yet, their engineers have sound reason for their engineering choices. HTC decided to go with an aluminum closed shell...with no expansion and a sealed battery. This appeals to some. Samsung chose a plastic shell, removable battery, and upgradeable storage. This appeals to some as well. One of the the things I do appreciate about Samsung's back cover on the S4 is that you can easily find a cheap replacement for it that has all the texture some may want (Amazon) without bulking up the phone.

Sent from me LTE Note 8.0
    07-28-2013 12:20 PM
    The material of the back doesnt matter to me, its the overall feel of the phone. the sgs4, y'know, feels okay
    07-28-2013 03:24 PM
    Doesn't really matter. Most people will ridicule the "plastic" back, then pick up there phone (any brand) that's in a plastic case, derp. It's quite humorous, and they don't even realize, just smile and nod.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-29-2013 11:12 AM
    Doesn't really matter. Most people will ridicule the "plastic" back, then pick up there phone (any brand) that's in a plastic case, derp. It's quite humorous, and they don't even realize, just smile and nod.

Posted via Android Central App
    True.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    07-29-2013 11:20 AM
    Personally, I love my S4 so the casing was obviously not a deal breaker. But, go hold one of the new blackberry and you can see plastic done well.

Samsung could have easily spent the same money and produced a grippy matte exterior that feels relatively upscale.

I would still buy the phone again. But, it is not perfect and the slippery shiny exterior is one downside, imo. Ymmv.
    07-29-2013 11:44 AM
    I have no issue at all with the plastic that the S4 uses. I never felt it was cheap.
    07-29-2013 05:13 PM
32 12