Galaxy S4 with "cheap, plastic" back cover

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
The early reviewers were really pounding Samsung for the S4 plastic back cover. I have had a Ip4, a Galaxy S3, and Iphone 5 and now a S4. The back cover is a total non-issue. I have a nice case on my phone.( Element Atom case). The back cover on the S4 is actually very good if you want to change batteries or micro sim. It comes off very easily and fits back on very precisely. I have many Apple products and would have stayed with Apple for the next iphone, but I am not going to wait another 12-15 months for a larger screen. I am totally happy with my S4.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I'll take the "cheap" plastic back with the option to swap the battery and customize over an aluminum back with a non-sawappable battery any day of the week.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I used to really have an issue with the S3's and now S4's use of plastic. I've had both an S3 and, now, S4. I love them.

1. The back cover is easily and economically replaceable. (check Amazon)

2. ...as is the battery.

3. I keep an Element Eclipse on my S4 anyways.

I, like many, am going to always 'case' my phone which was one of the major factors that made me realize the plastic is just fine...and I was a hard sell on that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

thornesone

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had a case on my S4 from the time I picked it up at the Big Red store. This issue of build quality is such a non issue.

Posted via Android Central App using my awesome S4!

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't care that it is plastic. I do care that it is slippery and a finger print magnet. There are tons of plastic phones and tablets out there, some of which I own. None squirt our of your hand with the same enthusiasm as the S4.

Th is the first phone I have had a case on. That is no coincidence

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It seems like it'd hard to keep any phone lookimg good as new without a case and screen protector. I guess some folks don't care avout that but I have this disorder. ...I like all my stuff looking new for as long as I'm gonna use it.

Sent from myment Eclipsed S4

the53rdcard

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
While i personally am not one of them, i could see feel of plastic over metal being an issue for some "if" they never planned to put a case on the phone. But, i also think that running with no case is just asking for a screen breakage, or some other form of damage. I doubt anyone who uses a cell has never dropped one ever, its going to happen eventually that your phone will decide to take a vacation in the direction of the floor.

At that point you have either the case that takes the hit, some even break apart on impact, or, your phone itself, and another thing to consider is, plastic will take a hit that would bend it, and it will bend back, metal will just bend. that aluminum by its design cant be that thick, so it might even offer less protection then the plastic that will act as a shock absorber.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with aluminum on the HTC One or the plastic on the S4. I think both phones are great.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The glass on the back of my N4 shattered after 3 weeks despite having a case on it. My S4 has an Otter Defender case and the plastic is light, durable and removable. I like my electronics looking fresh & clean, but I'll take function over form everyday of the week. I really don't understand all the complaining about it, looks pretty nice to me!

S4 via Android Central App

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't care that it is plastic. I do care that it is slippery and a finger print magnet. There are tons of plastic phones and tablets out there, some of which I own. None squirt our of your hand with the same enthusiasm as the S4.

Th is the first phone I have had a case on. That is no coincidence

this.

there are plenty of great electronic devices made of plastic that look and feel really nice, none of which are made by Samsung.

I don't use cases, but had to put one on the S4.

JamesTBurns

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
what looks worse, having a plastic back or having your phone plugged into a wall like a landline half the day? For less than the price of a Mophie juice pack you can get a spare battery charger and two spare batteries...

Posted via Android Central App

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Don't see what the big deal is with the plastic back. And no matter what kind of plastic or other material it would have been made out of, I would have put a case on it. So at least for me and those who like to protect their investment its a non issue.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That's your opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

He didn't claim otherwise.

There are a lot of devices that are made out of plastic that don't feel like toys. For whatever reason, Samsung doesn't understand that shiny plastic with faux textures are as bad as you can get. At least with skeumorphic software you can choose something else. With skeumorphic material design, all you can do is cover it up. (And really, if you're going to the expense of making plastic look like metal, wouldn't it just make more sense to use metal in the first place?)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

graysonk95

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
S2 owner here-
I personally think the 'cheap' back cover is a plus.
I am a strong disbeliever in phone cases (why ruin the naked look/feel with bulky plastic). This is the easiest phone to get the back off of I have ever owned.
I own 3 batteries for this phone, and swapping doesn't murder your fingers.

I drop my phone on hard surfaces at least once every three months. When it falls, upon impact, the cheap cover explodes off- ejecting the heavy battery, thus saving the lightweight hardware from slamming into the ground.
At least that's the way I look at it.

I've dropped my phone on hardwood, tile, concrete, and asphalt from chest level at least a dozen times and the only damage done was scratches to the edges of the body (which I have fixed with a black sharpie). ;)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AC Forums mobile app

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
S2 owner here-
I personally think the 'cheap' back cover is a plus.
I am a strong disbeliever in phone cases (why ruin the naked look/feel with bulky plastic). This is the easiest phone to get the back off of I have ever owned.
I own 3 batteries for this phone, and swapping doesn't murder your fingers.

I drop my phone on hard surfaces at least once every three months. When it falls, upon impact, the cheap cover explodes off- ejecting the heavy battery, thus saving the lightweight hardware from slamming into the ground.
At least that's the way I look at it.

I've dropped my phone on hardwood, tile, concrete, and asphalt from chest level at least a dozen times and the only damage done was scratches to the edges of the body (which I have fixed with a black sharpie). ;)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AC Forums mobile app

And the cover on the S2 is fine. A little bit of texture does wonders. I didn't even hate the cover on the Galaxy Nexus, and it really was a flimsy cheap hunk of plastic :p

I don't mind that they made it out of plastic. I understand their reasons, and think they are good reasons. Samsung just has a love affair with slippery, shiny plastic as of late.

I really wish they offered a rear cover that had a different texture as an accessory.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
And the cover on the S2 is fine. A little bit of texture does wonders. I didn't even hate the cover on the Galaxy Nexus, and it really was a flimsy cheap hunk of plastic :p

I don't mind that they made it out of plastic. I understand their reasons, and think they are good reasons. Samsung just has a love affair with slippery, shiny plastic as of late.

I really wish they offered a rear cover that had a different texture as an accessory.

Exactly. It isn't that it's made out of plastic, its the finish Samsung chose. There are bunches of good smart phones that are made out of plastic that don't have that cheap of a finish.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz