Hi all.
    I always hate when the first post ever is a technical question, but I guess that's what brings us scouring the forums in the first place.

2 days ago, I upgraded to Samsung S4. The on-screen keyboard keeps disappearing right in the middle of typing. It is very inconvenient. It happens during text messages, entering web urls, pretty much any time the cursor is focused in a text box. It's like the focus is briefly being taken away from the text box by something. I tap in the text box again, and the keyboard comes right back.

*edited to add this detail*
    I can bring up the keyboard, set the phone on a tabletop, and after a few seconds, the keyboard will go away. It's a random time, not like some timeout feature. Sometimes it'll stay up for a couple minutes, but inevitably it always disappears on its own. My older phone has been sitting for hours now with the on-screen keyboard showing.

I am not using any special 3rd party software for on-screen keyboard. The phone is pretty much right out of the box.

Does anyone here have any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this?

Anyways, thanks for your help. I will monitor these forums to see if I can answer anyone else's questions...

*EDIT*
    RESOLVED

It was a third party toggle app that was causing all the inconvenience. Uninstall the toggle app and *bang* everything was back to good. Sheesh that was annoying.
    07-27-2013 02:46 PM
    A typical issue is when holding the phone you can accidentally hit the 'back' button at the bottom right of the phone. Even when holding the phone the palm of your hand can accidentally press it without noticing. Think that's the issue? Do you have a case?
    07-27-2013 03:10 PM
    A typical issue is when holding the phone you can accidentally hit the 'back' button at the bottom right of the phone. Even when holding the phone the palm of your hand can accidentally press it without noticing. Think that's the issue? Do you have a case?
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I tried taking the case off - same issue. I tried setting the phone on a table, press the text box to bring up the keyboard and stand back - same issue (in other words, I'm not even holding the phone).

*sigh* I think I might visit the store. Ugh
    07-27-2013 03:23 PM
    Also - It's the same when I pull down the notification bar. My old phone will sit there with the notification bar pulled down indefinitely. The S4 - not so much. So I guess that blows the whole "taking focus off the text box" theory.
    07-27-2013 03:24 PM
    Which 3rd party app was causing it? I am having the same issue and i have no idea what or why it is happening or what is causing it. I have ruled out the same solutions you have tried before you mentioned the 3rd party app. Which app is it?

- - - Updated - - -

Which 3rd party app was causing it? I am having the same issue and i have no idea what or why it is happening or what is causing it. I have ruled out the same solutions you have tried before you mentioned the 3rd party app. Which app is it?
    10-03-2013 06:06 AM
    To help other people having this issue which plagued me forever, I will identify the app that seemed to cause it on my Galaxy S4. There is an app called Toggle It, which once uninstalled, immediately fixed this issue on my phone. If you look at the comments section for that app on the GooglePlay store, you will see other comments regarding the keyboard closing for that app. If this app is on your phone, you might want to try to uninstall that and see if it fixes it. If doesnt fix the problem, you can always reinstall it.

The company that makes the app called Tasker has also mentioned on their web site that this can be a known side effect of using their screen brightness plugin. I did not have it installed, so it was not relevant to my situation.

In general, the issue of the keyboard suddenly closing seems to be related to any application that might be starting/stopping suddenly, particularly if that application might use a notification icon.
    04-20-2014 02:30 PM
    I had a similar issue but did not have the third party app you mentioned installed. I was able to fix the issue by going into Settings>My Device>Language and input>Samsung keyboard, clicking on the settings icon and "Reset Settings". This reset the personalized keyboard settings (I have not noticed a difference in anything) and the disappearing keyboard issue has not been an issue since!
    12-03-2014 12:47 PM