Is the S3 a safer bet than S4?

Desmoface

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to thank everyone for a very informative forum. I'm actually in the info gathering mode as I'm shopping for my first smart phone. I've kind of narrowed it down to the s4, htc one, Iphone 5, or maybe the s3.

When researching the s4, you can't help but read about it's issues, and the one that concerns me the most is wifi connectivity with certain routers. It appears to be a problem with D-Link, but I'm reading about it happening with routers of other manufacture, Linksys, Belken, etc. I can't really make changes to my home router (linksys E2500) as my Wife uses it for work, and if I start messing with settings, it'll never work again, and my wife will get my new smart phone in the divorce.

So, does the s3 have an issue with wifi connectability? I really, really like the s4 form and function but don't want to be Samsung's r & d department. I'm thinking maybe the s3 is a safer bet as it's been out for a while. Keep in mind, I'm not techincally inclined, my phone has to work out of the box without a lot of technical gymnastics on my part as I just don't have that ability. Is there a major difference between the s3 & s4? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Steve

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know the only confirmed issue is the one with the certain D-Link routers with certain versions of firmware. If you search Google for a phone name and "wifi problem" you'll see that people will have issues with pretty much every phone and few of them are actual, widespread problems. Depending on where you buy it from you might have a window where you can return the phone if you don't like it, too. FWIW, my S4 has worked just fine with the 4 or 5 different WiFi routers I've connected to.

The S4 is mostly an incremental update of the S3. It has a larger and better screen with a higher resolution, faster processor, faster (and maybe more depending on where you are) RAM, better camera and a bigger battery. It has a few more bells and whistles, but some of them did come to the S3 in a recent update. It also has a slightly newer OS. There's nothing dramatically different in any of those, but it's a little better in pretty much every way.

Desmoface

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi garublador,

Thanks for the detailed response. I would be purchasing through the local at&t store so I assume I could return it if there were issues. I need to inquire if I could swap it for a phone from a different manufacturer, like maybe an htc one.

I have to tell you, the s4 is a very compelling package, which is why I'm putting so much into it's research. I guess I could make the easy choice and go with the iphone, which actually makes sense as I have a mac, ipad, ipods, etc. I guess the s4 ruined me as after I got to handle it, the iphone felt way too small, LOL.

Thanks again for the reply and info.

Regards,

Steve

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I've used my new S4 for two weeks and connected to about a dozen different WiFi networks without issue.

At home it connects to my ATT uverse WiFi capable modem perfectly...

My wife has the iPhone 5 and its pretty good, but the camera is not as good, except in low light. Iphone 5 just does not have all the capabilities of the new androids, and the screen is too small ... either HTC or S4 offer more..(When we are out, now I am forced to take most of the photos! :)

OK, The S4 has a bazillion functions that might overwhelm the first time smartphone user.

HOWEVER it also has a really great "secret weapon" in settings, where the phone display becomes VERY SIMPLE and VERY BASIC, yet offers access to the most used features of any smart phone.

(Get your hands on an S4 and go to:
SETTINGS/ My Device/ Home Screen Mode/ EASY MODE

JUST LOOK AT THAT SCREEN!!!

Easy mode will automatically provide you with (several optional) really clean and full functional home screens that even that guy from the geico commercial could use...:) (choose the default! Good grief, even in the easy mode Samsung gives you too many options!)

Using easy mode home screen requires zero learning curve and gives you everything..use that for 6 months and you may want to slip over to the fancy menus, but the easy mode is easier on the eyes too!!

AS far as I know the HTC One doesn't have the equivalent capability...

Good luck :)

Oh.. don't bother with the S3, please it is so much slower and while the price is good, you will get frustrated within 90 days.

Oh x2...this weekend I actually used the photo feature to eliminate unwanted background people..At the pier in the SF Exploratorium, had people walking back and forth behind the kids... annoying! Set the mode to erase and we have great pix of the kids and the beautiful background and no (NO) sign of any passers-by, and no blurry people! Wow..That was enough to make me very happy that I chose the S4....

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Desmoface

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Markbc,

Thanks for the response, I'm probably going to go with the samy and then if I have issues, I'm sure ATT will return it. It's reasuring to hear that your wifi is working good. I have a Linksys router which isn't the primary modem that's been noted as having issues, but in my reading, I've read about linksys routes also having issues with s4's.

Regards,

Steve

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Good luck..my advice is when you get the phone, use it hard and more than you really want to for the first week or so...That way you can really tell if you like it and will keep it, or want to try another!!!

Also, as much as I was teased by my wife for spending a ton of time setting up the phone and figuring out what it does and how to do it, ..
That time actually helped me to learn the phone quickly and I was able to decide in a week to keep it..(I was also thinking of the HTC...but this was a good purchase for me!..)

Best of luck..and don't settle for ANY smart phone that you don't really like, or feel comfortable with :)

They are really useful and even work well as phones :)

P.S. I also use Mac and it connects well to the Mac using the android app from the app store. The ATT dealer will accept the phone back no questions asked for I think 14 days Costco has the same S4 and provides a screen protector, a dual car home (extra) charger, a small c carry bag for CD s or things all for the same price as AtT. Also the Costco phone insurance plan is cheaper and (to me) better... Smart phones are worth the insurance. Unless you are a really careful and really gentle moving person....
:)

Last edited:

Desmoface

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Markbc,

I was looking at the supplied Kies software on Samsung's website, it's pretty slick and looks nice even for the mac. Nice to see some mac support from an android phone seeing as how they are competing technologies. I may just give it a go with the s4 and hope for the best. Thanks again for the advice.

Steve

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
You'll have a 14 day grace period to swap it for something else so don't forget what day you buy it on. I also highly recommend getting the insurance on it. Its come in handy for me with past phones and if this phone gets smashed or what not it'll save you a ton of money.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I have to tell you, the s4 is a very compelling package, which is why I'm putting so much into it's research. I guess I could make the easy choice and go with the iphone, which actually makes sense as I have a mac, ipad, ipods, etc. I guess the s4 ruined me as after I got to handle it, the iphone felt way too small, LOL.
Actually, if you're planning on using your phone as an iPod, the HTC One is definitely worth checking out. AFAIK, the 64GB version is available at AT&T. You can add an SD card to the S4 and use it to store your songs as well (I've had good luck doing that myself) but the price is about the same either way, IIRC and you have a bit more flexibility and speed with having it all be internal storage.

I don't have a Mac, but I do sync with iTunes using an app called iSyncr. It lets me sync over WiFi (you can set a time, but I use Tasker to do it if I'm at home, it's night time and I'm plugged into external power) as well as reverse sync songs I buy on my phone on Amazon MP3 back into iTunes on our computer. I think it does photos, too but we don't store our pictures in iTunes, so I can't comment on how well that works. Dropbox works well for me, FWIW.

Picking a first smartphone is a daunting task, but just keep in mind that the three Android phones you listed will all work pretty much exactly the same for a vast majority of what people normally do with a smart phone (text, check email, Facebook, Twitter, listen to music, look at YouTube videos, etc). IMO, the storage options are the biggest differentiators between the Samsungs and the HTC. Chances are that isn't even an issue for you so you really can't go wrong.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've not had a single instance of difficulty getting my S4 to connect to a router. I have a netgear at home, but have connected to all sorts of routers all over town without any problems whatsoever.

skidoo

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Got my (Verizon) S4 just a few days ago. No problems at all connecting to either my Cisco/Linksys E2000 (running DD-WRT; hell if I know what version) or my Netgear repeater. It's also connected to various equipment at my brother's house successfully. Seamless, so far.

Way faster than the S3; tons of battery life, despite the giant, gorgeous screen. At 41 and just beginning to get "squinty," I can watch a Netflix movie or whatever on this, fairly comfortably, for at least some while. I think it has something to do with the depths of the darks, or that range of depths, or something.

I dunno. Not taking it back. Not so far.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I have owned the S3, Htc One and the S4. the S4 is an incremental update from the S3 , but its a good one. I find it a more complete package overall. I bought the HTC one and ended up exchanging it after 5 days. I find the HTC one to be excellent in specific categories, but overall the S4 is a better smartphone. From the power button to notification light to charging speed the little things add up believe me.

Best of luck on your purchase

Last edited:

Desmoface

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hey gang, thanks for the replies. Good to know you're having good luck using a cisco router. I'll let everyone know what I end up doing.

Steve

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site
If you are planning to sign a new contract there is no way I would pick the S3 over the S4. It is hard enough to get software updates and support for new models much less older Android devices. The S4 will be much more future proof.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've not had any problems connecting/maintaining a connection to a bunch of routers...DLink, Netgear, Linksys, various MiFi's... it's been a great phone. Really.

Sent from my Element Eclipsed S4

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
If you are planning to sign a new contract there is no way I would pick the S3 over the S4. It is hard enough to get software updates and support for new models much less older Android devices. The S4 will be much more future proof.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I'll second that. The S3 is good enough if you have one already, but you have to consider what the phones will be like in 1.5 to 2 years from now. I don't think paying $650 for a new S4 to replace a current S3 is worth it, but paying $100-$200 more to get a new S4 instead of an S3 probably is.

alc78

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the S4 our wifi router is linksys and it works just fine. In fact I get better signal with the S4 than I did with my S3.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi garublador,

Thanks for the detailed response. I would be purchasing through the local at&t store so I assume I could return it if there were issues. I need to inquire if I could swap it for a phone from a different manufacturer, like maybe an htc one.

Thanks again for the reply and info.

Regards,

Steve

Hope I'm not too late, but for my 2 cents...

Buy the S4. No problems whatsoever. (My setup is similar to that in post 12) Whenever I look at my friend's S3 and the tinier screen and missing features, I'm very glad I have the S4. Buying superseded models is always risky.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae