Battery Guru or Juice Defender

Odd Future

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I have been using battery guru for awhile but I saw people talking about juice defender and I wanted to know which one you like the best?

Posted via Android Central App

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have used Juice Defender and still use it on one of my own tablets.

I would actually not recommend either. Essentially, they both causes problems and their main tool for increasing battery life is shutting down stuff.

I have found that adding various battery saving utilities ultimately doesn't save me much and is not worth the trouble.

Android does a good job of managing power, let it work.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have used Juice Defender and still use it on one of my own tablets.

I would actually not recommend either. Essentially, they both causes problems and their main tool for increasing battery life is shutting down stuff.

I have found that adding various battery saving utilities ultimately doesn't save me much and is not worth the trouble.

Android does a good job of managing power, let it work.

Neither. As said above. I never gained battery from trying these apps.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
If u search through out the forum, you'll see the answer. U have some who love it some don't. As stated with all the battery saving apps its like having a task killer installed. Android apps and os run different then other systems, there designed to use most of the system memory and manage battery them selves. Its a big push pull effect. Those apps kills services and android will restart them. Stopping and starting will kill the battery faster then leaving it alone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally I love juice defender. I've used it and not used it. Seems to help with my battery more with it. That's just from my own testing and use.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Juice Defender

I've had it on three devices, NS4G, Gnex and S2. That being said, it appeared to help on the NS4G a bit. It gave me about 2 extra hours. However, it progressively caused connection problems with Wi-Fi and 3G. It had the same connection issues in the Gnex and S2 (not switching on Wi-Fi/3G when programmed to), as a result, I had to do frequent battery pulls on the Gnex, once it did it on the S2, I uninstalled it from all devices. Now I toggle Wi-Fi/3G on/off manually when needed and get MUCH better battery life without it on all devices. I never installed it on my current phone, the Note 2. I toggle it manually as well.

Sent via Note II

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Have tried both more bad then good,what good is a phone if the radios get turned off,just turn the phone off if you want to save battery life.would not recommend either.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I just reinstalled Battery Guru because Facebook was taking up 12% of my battery even though I had it set to never update and not give me any notifications. Just installing Battery Guru and telling it to not let Facebook update unless used dropped that down to <2% with no performance hit I can perceive. That's before it even started doing anything automatically (I'm still in my learning phase). YMMV, but that's enough for me to consider using it.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Have tried both more bad then good,what good is a phone if the radios get turned off,just turn the phone off if you want to save battery life.would not recommend either.

I leave the cell radio on to receive calls and texts. It makes perfect sense to turn off Wi-Fi and 3G if they are not being used for hours at a time if you gain increased battery life as a result of that action. It's not a problem for me to tap the notification shade and tap a toggle. I paid for Juice Defender Pro, so if it worked adequately for me, it would make sense to use it; since it doesn't, I don't.

Sent via Note II

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I leave the cell radio on to receive calls and texts. It makes perfect sense to turn off Wi-Fi and 3G if they are not being used for hours at a time if you gain increased battery life as a result of that action. It's not a problem for me to tap the notification shade and tap a toggle. I paid for Juice Defender Pro, so if it worked adequately for me, it would make sense to use it; since it doesn't, I don't.

Sent via Note II

Not if you want push services such as email and other notifications that require data. Depends on the person's needs to see if it makes sense..

Like me. I'd rather charge a little more and get my emails and other notifications as they happen.. That's one of the joys about smartphones imo. The syncing and live updates.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
WiFi also helps with location services, so if you use those you're probably better off leaving it on. I've never seen WiFi use more than 2-3% of my battery, anyway. I've never even seen a screen shot of WiFi using a significant amount of battery. My guess is that several years ago it might have mattered more but the newer chip sets use way less power, especially when not connected.

tytlyf

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I use Easy Battery Saver. I tried Juice defender but didn't like it. I keep most of EBS settings off, except for the data monitoring and sleep schedule for the mobile network.

Psyentizt

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Just Be Intelligent...

It's hard to say which Battery Saving app is "better" or "worse," because it varies depending on the app, the phone model, and the user itself. From a technical standpoint, they're all fairly useless. One can get the "best" battery management by simply being aware of what is draining the most power, and turning things off when they are not in use. If it isn't dark, keep your brightness low. If you aren't using the net, keep your WiFi/Network turned off. If you aren't using GPS, keep your locator service turned off. If you aren't syncing data, turn off data sync, etc...

This alone will save far more power than any battery saving app could ever dream of saving. That doesn't mean they don't work, it just means they aren't really necessary when you know what you're doing. Often times they will just continue to shut down apps and processes that will just restart themselves in a perpetual loop that actually spends far more power than it saves.

Instead of downloading a "Battery Manager" that is going to try and solve problems for you, just stay on top of running services when you actually need them and turning them off when you don't. If it makes you feel better to have an application that does it's best to save you power, I suggest avoiding battery apps and downloading an app called "Greenify." It won't specifically turn things on or off, but instead, will allow you to put your apps into a "hibernation mode," which stops them from draining any power (via auto-running, pushes & notifications, etc..) until you actually choose to run them.

Once you've set up Greenify to hibernate any apps you don't need running indefinitely, and have gotten into the habit of only turning on services when you need them, you'll be saving so much power you won't even remember that Battery Saving applications even exist, let alone have a use for them. I promise. Try it and get back to me. Let me know if this information helped, or for some reason, had no effect what-so-ever.

Good luck!
Psy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11