08-04-2013 10:33 AM
139 12345 ...
tools
    So you're passing the buck on to the reviewers? Seriously?
    Yeah... they're the ones using benchmarks that are supposed to show the true potential of the phone. Samsung just optimized their devices to run those apps well.
    It's the beginning of a terrible trend in mobile, just as it was a terrible trend in GPU's on PC's.
    I don't get on here too much, so I really don't want to start a full scale discussion/argument, but... Mountains out of molehills man. =/
    07-31-2013 10:50 AM
    Samsung's Official Response to the situation

Under ordinary conditions, the Galaxy S4 has been designed to allow a maximum GPU frequency of 533MHz. However, the maximum GPU frequency is lowered to 480MHz for certain gaming apps that may cause an overload, when they are used for a prolonged period of time in full-screen mode. Meanwhile, a maximum GPU frequency of 533MHz is applicable for running apps that are usually used in full-screen mode, such as the S Browser, Gallery, Camera, Video Player, and certain benchmarking apps, which also demand substantial performance.

The maximum GPU frequencies for the Galaxy S4 have been varied to provide optimal user experience for our customers, and were not intended to improve certain benchmark results.

We remain committed to providing our customers with the best possible user experience.
    Samsung speaks out against allegations of benchmark-rigging | SamMobile
    07-31-2013 11:03 AM
    Now they're just lying. Anandtech tested all of those apps and it never went above 480. They also completely ignore the fact that its called BenchmarkBooster.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    return_0 likes this.
    07-31-2013 11:13 AM
    I think I'm done replying. Simply because I'm saying far more than is being quoted. So my words are being used completely out of context.

I haven't said it's a huge deal. I haven't said samsung is the only one doing it. I haven't said benchmarks should be the basis of the decision to buy a phone. All I've said is that this is disingenuous of Samsung. It does a disservice to consumers. I would say the same if it were any other company.

As for their statement, I read the Anandtech article again. They ran demanding games (safe to assume full screen, right?), and got the lower GPU frequency. Also, to deny that they did any specific tuning for benchmarks, but the code is called "BenchmarkBooster".... I'll just leave it at that.

Eh, you guys have fun.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    07-31-2013 11:24 AM
    07-31-2013 01:16 PM
    I think I'm done replying. Simply because I'm saying far more than is being quoted. So my words are being used completely out of context.

I haven't said it's a huge deal. I haven't said samsung is the only one doing it. I haven't said benchmarks should be the basis of the decision to buy a phone. All I've said is that this is disingenuous of Samsung. It does a disservice to consumers. I would say the same if it were any other company.

As for their statement, I read the Anandtech article again. They ran demanding games (safe to assume full screen, right?), and got the lower GPU frequency. Also, to deny that they did any specific tuning for benchmarks, but the code is called "BenchmarkBooster".... I'll just leave it at that.

Eh, you guys have fun.

No it doesn't. Only does that to the .0000000000001% of techy folks who think this stuff is actually important enough to complain about. The rest of the consumers don't care, heck they don't even know what a "benchmark" test is most likely.
    07-31-2013 01:58 PM
    Im glad 99.99999999999999% of people finally agree specs and benchmarks dont matter in a smartphone. That was a tired argument.
    07-31-2013 02:26 PM
    Now they're just lying. Anandtech tested all of those apps and it never went above 480. They also completely ignore the fact that its called BenchmarkBooster.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    I am 100% certain you've never owned or liked a device that was deviously programmed or designed to slightly skew the numbers (when they otherwise might not have been) in it's favor. Samsung could give you a brand new car and you'd complain about the trim. When a person despises a company so completely no matter what they say or do, said person starts to lose their credibility.

The phone industry is designed and operated with the intent to make money. As much as it possibly can. And that includes Apple and HTC as much as it does Samsung. Why do people act surprised when they find out that Jesus and Mother Theresa are not the CEO's of these companies? There will ALWAYS be inner workings in EVERY company that you wont agree with. It doesn't make them the epitome of all evil, and it also doesn't make your company of choice the best there ever was. I get annoyed when these upper management figures do shady business. But I can't change it, and as long as the device works to my expectations, AnandTech isn't going to convince me that the companies want to sacrifice my firstborn.
    Kedar likes this.
    07-31-2013 02:32 PM
    No it doesn't. Only does that to the .0000000000001% of techy folks who think this stuff is actually important enough to complain about. The rest of the consumers don't care, heck they don't even know what a "benchmark" test is most likely.
    I fear you're misunderstanding why they are complaining. It's all the notorious Samsung haters that have jumped on this. And if HTC was found to be doing it, all the HTC haters would be all over it. It's more about demonizing a company to some of these people than it is about the importance of honesty or true benchmark scores. This same crap happens in every thread that points out a negative aspect of whatever company.
    07-31-2013 02:35 PM
    Until they go to a site like, say, Engadget, which includes all of the benchmarks Samsung was cheating at in their reviews. They'll look at the numbers and say 'hey, these are higher, so the S4 must be a faster/better device'.

It's the lack of knowledge of benchmark tests that makes this so egregious for regular consumers. Everyone here already knows to take them with a grain of salt; because regular consumers don't know that, they won't.
    07-31-2013 02:42 PM
    The phone industry is designed and operated with the intent to make money. As much as it possibly can. And that includes Apple and HTC as much as it does Samsung. Why do people act surprised when they find out that Jesus and Mother Theresa are not the CEO's of these companies? There will ALWAYS be inner workings in EVERY company that you wont agree with. It doesn't make them the epitome of all evil, and it also doesn't make your company of choice the best there ever was. I get annoyed when these upper management figures do shady business. But I can't change it, and as long as the device works to my expectations, AnandTech isn't going to convince me that the companies want to sacrifice my firstborn.
    See but that's the thing. Even though it benchmarks faster than the One or similar devices, its slower in day to day use. THAT'S one of the reason this matters. Then for Samsung to come out and straight up lie about what was going on. Well, it does a lot to unravel any perception that they have moved on from what they once were.
    07-31-2013 02:44 PM
    There's no reason to turn this into a witch hunt guys, not after Samsung, not after HTC, certainly not after the mods here or Anandtech. This is purely an academic debate about SOC's...and benchmarks, and it matters largely only to the handful of us that are here talking about it....certainly not the thousands of users on this forum who looked at this topic and just went about their lives not caring, and to a larger degree...the gazillions of mobile user's that don't care to read tech sites...let alone run benchmarks on their mobile phones. Samsung is Samsung and making billions of dollars on their devices and conquering the space, HTC is in chaotic shambles despite making a great device... Apple is off doing Apple things and Blackberry is off...well..doing nothing. This "revelation" has had and will continue to change none of that... It's only tech nerds like us that care at all, some of us for d**k waggling rights, some because we like technology.. But that's as far as it goes...

Posted via Android Central App
    07-31-2013 02:44 PM
    I don't think I have ever purchased a phone based on benchmarks. I doubt I ever will. Carry on.
    07-31-2013 02:47 PM
    I'm just going to put this here....

http://www.androidcentral.com/editor...enchmarks-suck

07-31-2013 02:56 PM
    I fear you're misunderstanding why they are complaining. It's all the notorious Samsung haters that have jumped on this. And if HTC was found to be doing it, all the HTC haters would be all over it. It's more about demonizing a company to some of these people than it is about the importance of honesty or true benchmark scores. This same crap happens in every thread that points out a negative aspect of whatever company.
    No, it's about a company cheating, and then lying about it. Doesn't matter if it's htc, Samsung, Moto, etc....

Topgonzo likes this.
    07-31-2013 02:59 PM
    No, it's about a company cheating, and then lying about it. Doesn't matter if it's htc, Samsung, Moto, etc....

I agree that the "cheating" is wrong. I would imagine they only felt the need to cheat to satisfy the jokers who make their purchase decision based off the benchmark score (not that that justifies it). But I will step out on a limb and say if the HTC One was the device this was happening with, it would be a whole different crop of complainers filling up the thread. Deep down I think you'd find that to be sound logic and agree. And that's the point i'm making.
    07-31-2013 03:22 PM
    Even though it benchmarks faster than the One or similar devices, its slower in day to day use. .
    The problem is though, people will always have different opinions of which device is "faster". I guarantee many S4 owners would say they tried the One and found the S4 to be more 'snappy' or whatever adjective you want. Just like One owners will say what you just did. So it boils down to whether or not you ACTUALLY put stock into that benchmark and care more about that than day to day usage. If the S4 scored lower than the One in testing, but felt faster in the hand would you mention that? People just use this as another flame war on Samsung. They light their pitchforks and gather the mob without even stopping to consider whether or not they really actually care.
    07-31-2013 03:26 PM
    I agree that the "cheating" is wrong. I would imagine they only felt the need to cheat to satisfy the jokers who make their purchase decision based off the benchmark score (not that that justifies it). But I will step out on a limb and say if the HTC One was the device this was happening with, it would be a whole different crop of complainers filling up the thread. Deep down I think you'd find that to be sound logic and agree. And that's the point i'm making.
    Yep, probably the same group that's in this thread saying "eh, it's not a big deal" lol

Who knows why they wanted to cheat. Logic tells me because they wanted to have the fastest benchmarks. I would imagine Samsung has done some research and knows a thing or two about marketing. I'm sure this ties in with that somehow.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-31-2013 03:26 PM
    There's no reason to turn this into a witch hunt guys, not after Samsung, not after HTC, certainly not after the mods here or Anandtech. This is purely an academic debate about SOC's...and benchmarks, and it matters largely only to the handful of us that are here talking about it....certainly not the thousands of users on this forum who looked at this topic and just went about their lives not caring, and to a larger degree...the gazillions of mobile user's that don't care to read tech sites...let alone run benchmarks on their mobile phones. Samsung is Samsung and making billions of dollars on their devices and conquering the space, HTC is in chaotic shambles despite making a great device... Apple is off doing Apple things and Blackberry is off...well..doing nothing. This "revelation" has had and will continue to change none of that... It's only tech nerds like us that care at all, some of us for d**k waggling rights, some because we like technology.. But that's as far as it goes...
    Waiting now for the snarky comments during the next iPhone reveal about how Apple doesn't have to cheat their benchmarks. The average consumer may not care about this, but you can bet Apple's PR department is salivating with glee at the knowledge that Samsung got caught with its hand in the performance cookie jar, and the news is getting plastered on every tech site on the internet.
    07-31-2013 03:31 PM
    How about this. The way I see it, a company "cheating" a benchmark is like a fast food restaurant using fake food in pictures. It's pretty much the standard practice, they're technically "lying" to customers but no one with any sense believes that they'll get what they see.
    07-31-2013 03:31 PM
    I think I don't care that they're cheating on benchmarks because, like everyone else, one sorta assumes that is happening.

I think the real issues are:

1. The company (Kevin is right, any company) outright lying about it afterwards. Their statements are demonstrably false.
    2. The attitude of, to paraphrase, "I don't care that they're blatantly dishonest because _________________". (Insert, "I don't care about benchmarks, my phone is still fast, etc)
    07-31-2013 03:35 PM
    Of course benchmarks don't matter anymore Samsung fanboys right? Right?
    Samsung is stupid and will never buy a product from them.

07-31-2013 03:42 PM
    Of course benchmarks don't matter anymore Samsung fanboys right? Right?
    Samsung is stupid and will never buy a product from them.

Huh? Samsung will never buy a product from..themselves??
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    07-31-2013 03:46 PM
    Waiting now for the snarky comments during the next iPhone reveal about how Apple doesn't have to cheat their benchmarks. The average consumer may not care about this, but you can bet Apple's PR department is salivating with glee at the knowledge that Samsung got caught with its hand in the performance cookie jar, and the news is getting plastered on every tech site on the internet.
    I dunno, Apple can certainly take the high road here and just state "We actually care about game performance enough to not use standard GPU's and have a long standing history of pairing our CPU's with PVR amaze-balls gpu's that blow everything in the space out fo the water." Apple has had a smart gaming strategy from the get go - and spent the extra dollars where it matters most for gaming. To get into a pissing match with Samsung over this isn't going to affect enough buyers to count - they simply have to restate their position - "reference chips? - Nah...we go crazy" which is something that no Android vendor has really done up to this point, sans a sad set of attempts using Tegra 2 and 3 chips (the former being the worst possible solution for tablets, and to a lesser degree phone game performance - while the latter was competent - but aside from some graphical whiz bangs courtesy of Nvidia - not able to keep pace with the resolution war, as it'd turn out - and left behind as a result). God don't let this be interperted as me saying anything about Nvidia chips - they've got their advantage and disadvantages - but they're pretty far behind the other ARM candidates in terms of raw horsepower without tradeoffs. I think the Nvidia Tegra 4(and 4i) look more comparable to the modern language set, at least on paper, and I'm encouraged to see those devices start shipping in something other than the abortion that is Shield (don't get me started - timing, potential market size, price, etc make this a bad move on Nvidia's part).
    07-31-2013 03:49 PM
    This really shouldn't be too surprising to anyone...NO company plays fair because its all a competition between all of them.
    Either way, I only care about how it feels to me, and to me its pretty damn fast no matter what benchmarks say
    neiljay6 likes this.
    07-31-2013 03:50 PM
139 12345 ...