Samsung cheats at benchmarks

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Maybe. But I have to wonder if Samsung REALLY is worried about cheating to sell an additional 5,000 devices to the tech nerds who think benchmarks are meaningful. I don't know that scoring lower on benchmarks would impact the 30+ Million devices they sell to the people who care more about real world use than numbers on a tech site. Maybe they do care a lot about the additional 5k, but I'm not sure.

Why take the risk of potentially making the early adopting geeks mad about it?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I meant I won't be buying from them.

Posted via Android Central App

But there are groups of people similar to you who wouldn't buy from them no matter what they did. Even if every other company sucked and was corrupt, and Samsung was honest with the best product, you wouldn't buy from them because of your hatred. Which is why I pointed out earlier that it affects your credibility. I dislike Apple very much right now. But if they adjusted their corporate focus to R & D and stopped suing everyone for pathetic reasons, i'd consider purchasing their product as long as it met my needs and performed better than what I already had. If I was so close minded about them, none of my friends or family would care to ask me for advice when purchasing a new product because they'd know I would just spew venom and zero truth.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Why take the risk of potentially making the early adopting geeks mad about it?

How do you know that HTC, LG, Sony, or anyone else isn't doing the same thing? Samsung got caught. They were wrong, and I think that is a pathetic thing to do on their part. But i'm not going to pretend that A) I care about benchmarks and B) that no one else is doing it.

I agree that the principle of it is very wrong. I think it casts a negative shadow on them for sure. But I promise you, my friends that own the S4 will never know any of this happened unless I told them. And even then, they'd say: "What's a benchmark? And what does it mean?" And then they wouldn't think about it again ever.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
How do you know that HTC, LG, Sony, or anyone else isn't doing the same thing? Samsung got caught. They were wrong, and I think that is a pathetic thing to do on their part. But i'm not going to pretend that A) I care about benchmarks and B) that no one else is doing it.

I agree that the principle of it is very wrong. I think it casts a negative shadow on them for sure. But I promise you, my friends that own the S4 will never know any of this happened unless I told them. And even then, they'd say: "What's a benchmark? And what does it mean?" And then they wouldn't think about it again ever.

Apparently you've missed that Kevin has said at least a half dozen times that those other manufacturers probably ARE doing the same thing.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Did you read the thread? I've said multiple times they just got caught first. My thoughts about this wouldn't change if it were any other manufacturer.

Benchmarks are already bad, but cheating them makes it even worse. Instead of being able to say "5% faster" for example, they can now say "10% faster" or whatever the numbers are. So no, people don't care about benchmarks, but they do fall victim to marketing and bullet points.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
But there are groups of people similar to you who wouldn't buy from them no matter what they did. Even if every other company sucked and was corrupt, and Samsung was honest with the best product, you wouldn't buy from them because of your hatred. Which is why I pointed out earlier that it affects your credibility. I dislike Apple very much right now. But if they adjusted their corporate focus to R & D and stopped suing everyone for pathetic reasons, i'd consider purchasing their product as long as it met my needs and performed better than what I already had. If I was so close minded about them, none of my friends or family would care to ask me for advice when purchasing a new product because they'd know I would just spew venom and zero truth.

Actually a month or two back I made a post saying my hatred for the S4 was really stupid(I'll link it soon) and you don't buy products from Apple because they sue people? Well I don't buy from Samsung because I think there company is a scumbag for insulting iPhone users calling them dumb,paying Taiwanese students to bash the HTC One and now this purposely inflating benchmarks. I think my reason to not purchase from Apple is far more valid then your reason that Apple sues and therefore are bad.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
How about this. The way I see it, a company "cheating" a benchmark is like a fast food restaurant using fake food in pictures. It's pretty much the standard practice, they're technically "lying" to customers but no one with any sense believes that they'll get what they see.

Actually in most cases that is the actual food they use. Please watch this and be floored by how good this guy is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using AC Forums mobile app

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

Samsung was the Lance Armstrong of the cell phone industry.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Kevin it all boils down to marketing and so they can say they have the fastest by a large margin. If it didn't come down to Samsung making money off these little white lies they wouldn't do it. I'm sure all companies take risks like this every single day and 95% of them get away with it without anyone noticing and they get a tiny edge up on their competition. It's still stupid it doesn't make me hate Samsung anymore

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Half your post is about nVidia chips, but we're supposed to ignore that? I'll just say this, Tegra 4 is impressive in SHIELD. Unless you've used one, you probably don't completely understand it. Just like everyone says about phones, try to withhold judgement until you've spent time with one. I've read all the reviews, and they're mostly positive, especially considering this is version one.

Ok, enough about that.

Oh I have the hardware, read the white papers and have some idea of how it'll be utilized in shield and beyond...its still I'll timed considering the price point. That and the form factor isn't going to convince any buyers to spend money on Shield over a console this fall/winter...and there are only so many dollars to go round. the tech is great, the delivery system is flawed. Put it in tablets and phones and we'll talk.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh I have the hardware, read the white papers and have some idea of how it'll be utilized in shield and beyond...its still I'll timed considering the price point. That and the form factor isn't going to convince any buyers to spend money on Shield over a console this fall/winter...and there are only so many dollars to go round. the tech is great, the delivery system is flawed. Put it in tablets and phones and we'll talk.

It doesn't compete with consoles and was never meant to. As in, the target market is different. For now.

Toshiba actually released a tablet with T4 already. Asus has a transformer on the way. I'm very interested in those.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Actually a month or two back I made a post saying my hatred for the S4 was really stupid(I'll link it soon) and you don't buy products from Apple because they sue people? Well I don't buy from Samsung because I think there company is a scumbag for insulting iPhone users calling them dumb,paying Taiwanese students to bash the HTC One and now this purposely inflating benchmarks. I think my reason to not purchase from Apple is far more valid then your reason that Apple sues and therefore are bad.

This isn't a thread about Apple so I wasn't going to get into all the reasons. For one thing, it's the premise in which they sue. They have a ton of money so they buy technology or innovations that were developed by someone else, and then they act like it was their accomplishment and market it as such. Then they turn and abuse the patent system by applying for vague patents with the sole intention of creating a monopoly in the industry. They hinder innovation and therefore, damage the timeframe in which we can enjoy new features and developments because everyone avoids a lengthy court process that is sure to be initiated by Apple.

They are the corporate embodiment of the rich, spoiled society who feels entitled and would shove their mother off a cliff for a buck. You don't like Samsung because they point out the FACT that many Apple users know nothing about the device in their hand, but somehow 'know' that it makes them better than anyone else (at least in my personal experience). I don't recall Samsung calling Apple buyers 'dumb'. You must hate LG also because they sent employees to Times Square to bash the S4, and you also will eventually hate all manufacturers when it is discovered that they are all either doing something similar to Samsung with benchmarks, or they are being dishonest in any number of other ways.

To get back on topic though, my point was to re-emphasize what Kevin was saying about all companies doing this, because he was making it sound like Samsung was the only company taking the risk of lying about benchmarks. If he believed what he said before about the potential that many companies could be doing it, not only would it destroy the reputation of benchmark scores it would also level the playing field once again because consumers would know that ALL companies were lying to inflate their numbers.

He said: "Why take the risk of potentially making the early adopting geeks mad about it?"

MY answer in return was more or less: Yes, Samsung was stupid to do it. But since everyone is probably doing something similar, I doubt Samsung felt the risk of getting caught was too massive when everyone will probably be caught eventually. And again, I doubt they care too much when they are outselling everyone else.

I'm not a Samsung apologist, but I do think it's ridiculous how much some people hate them for things that all companies are doing in one way or another and all equally dishonest. But it swings both ways. There's also Samsung fans who spew venom and hate for illogical reasons toward Apple, HTC, or whoever.

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Apparently you've missed that Kevin has said at least a half dozen times that those other manufacturers probably ARE doing the same thing.

You can bet they are. Samsung was just the first to get caught so far. It's that way in any business and they all "cheat" to an extent. I still think however something is up with my heat theory. I realize it's a quadcore and all but this phone gets REALLY hot and it's not limited to just mine. Anyone else notice this compared to others you've owned?

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
You can bet they are. Samsung was just the first to get caught so far. It's that way in any business and they all "cheat" to an extent

That isn't relevant. The crimes of others do not excuse the culprit. That would be like a baseball player justifying PEDs by saying "well everyone does it". Or everyone who wins does it, and if you aren't cheating you don't care enough about winning. etc. The Lance Armstrong analogy is quite valid (and the Lebron one is not).

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
That isn't relevant. The crimes of others do not excuse the culprit. That would be like a baseball player justifying PEDs by saying "well everyone does it". Or everyone who wins does it, and if you aren't cheating you don't care enough about winning. etc. The Lance Armstrong analogy is quite valid (and the Lebron one is not).

Considering people constantly mention benchmarks don't matter, can be manipulated, ect. LeBron's flops fit far more than someone like Bonds/Armstrong who stole records/titles that actually matter to most fans of their respective sports. It's still cheating or gaming the system but the impact is far different.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
The fans and MLB didn't care what bonds was on when he was hitting 74 home runs in 1 season and lifting baseball to an all time high though

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The fans and MLB didn't care what bonds was on when he was hitting 74 home runs in 1 season and lifting baseball to an all time high though

I'm not quite sure you're remembering it like it was. There was a ton of focus on whether he was cheating. I can't remember any point during that run where it wasn't brought up.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

I must have been imagining all those signs with needles and asterisks during Giants games. Not to mention how does a pro athlete not know what kind of supplements he was taking. Most of the fans that were in denial were Giants fans, go figure.

And of course the media and fans will carry it to a high. It's considered the biggest record in the sport. If Bonds was clean then oh well his haters were wrong. If he turns out to be dirty that very same media will be right there to cover all the juicy fallout that comes later.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers