08-07-2013 09:59 AM
41 12
tools
    My guess is that Battery Guru will work better the less you use your phone. It will prevent apps from updating while you aren't using them. If you use the apps a lot then BatteryGuru won't really do much.

It's also worth noting that the more you use your screen, the more screen time per battery charge you'll get. The more your phone does wile idle (e.g. checking location) the bigger the difference you'll see.

I'm currently getting fairly bad battery life, but I want to do my experiments with location reporting to figure out exactly what's checking my location so often. I want to keep my geofence monitor going, and it doesn't seem to use any battery, but that could just be because it's piggy-backing off whatever it is that's checking my location every 40 seconds. After I'm happy with how much data I've collected (about one day so far) I can start turning things off to see how it affects my location checks per minute. If I can get to 4 hours of screen time per day I'll be happy. Hopefully that means I can have some location reporting on, but I had that in the past when my location history was horribly inaccurate so I think I can get there.
    08-01-2013 12:47 PM
    I have the same issue with my S4. Eventually found on the web that the play store app version 4.1.6 has a bug and seems to affect some phones. If the new version 4.1.10 has not being pushed to your phone go and search for the play store app .apk version 4.1.10
    08-01-2013 12:52 PM
    I removed battery Guru and been watching the screen just suddenly jump over Google services in consumption percentage. Also note I posted 2 screen shots in my OP. The first was fresh of the charger this morning the other half way through the day yesterday. I will post more usage shots tonight and tomorrow morning.

Using the Big Red Samsung Galaxy S4
    08-01-2013 01:08 PM
    I removed battery Guru and been watching the screen just suddenly jump over Google services in consumption percentage. Also note I posted 2 screen shots in my OP. The first was fresh of the charger this morning the other half way through the day yesterday. I will post more usage shots tonight and tomorrow morning.

Well, if the screen is on it will take up a larger portion of the battery. The second screen shot in the OP is after the phone has been on for 6 minutes at 8:52AM. It would be interesting to see one later in the day with some indication of how much screen on time you had.

Was Battery Guru still learning when you removed it or had it finished with that? I'm not trying to defend Battery Guru, I'm actually interested to hear what's really going on.
    08-01-2013 01:14 PM

I know not everyone's "day" starts the same time, but I based my comment off of the fact that it says 8:52AM and 5 minutes off the charger in that second screenshot.
    08-01-2013 01:17 PM
    Also Guru was not in learning mode anymore when those screenshots were taken.

08-01-2013 01:39 PM
    Disable Google Music
    08-01-2013 04:11 PM
    Disable Google Music
    Did That a long time ago my friend.

08-01-2013 04:21 PM
    I've found Google services to recently take up most of my battery too. And it started recently. I haven't changed any location settings or downloaded any new apps since this happened. Maybe something changed on Google's end? And my play store is the newest version (4.2.9).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    08-02-2013 10:25 AM
    So Google services is still using the most battery. However, since removing Battery Guru my battery is lasting longer. At this time yesterday I was at 67% battery life. Today look at it. Basically the same amount of usage.

08-02-2013 03:32 PM
    Attached Thumbnails Anyone know why this is happening?-1375475697134.jpg  
    08-02-2013 03:34 PM
    What are your "Google Location Settings" in Maps? What Google Now cards do you have enabled? Again I'm just curious. The battery usage seems to rely heavily on what location services are enabled and how they're working. I've been hunting this down since the phone came out and it's been difficult with both firmware and Maps updates.

FWIW, I had all that stuff enabled, BatteryGuru going and geofences set up in Tasker and just stopping Location History didn't seem to do anything. I'm still having my location checked every ~42 seconds.
    08-02-2013 03:51 PM
    What are your "Google Location Settings" in Maps? What Google Now cards do you have enabled? Again I'm just curious. The battery usage seems to rely heavily on what location services are enabled and how they're working. I've been hunting this down since the phone came out and it's been difficult with both firmware and Maps updates.

FWIW, I had all that stuff enabled, BatteryGuru going and geofences set up in Tasker and just stopping Location History didn't seem to do anything. I'm still having my location checked every ~42 seconds.
    No cards enabled atm. Maps location settings below.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone know why this is happening?-1375513648847.jpg  
    08-03-2013 02:07 AM
    Check out this app on Google Play: Wakelock Detector. It allows you to drill-down and see what features are being included in "Google Services" along with their individual usage. I find this incredibly useful!

In the screenshots below, I have it set to display "CPU wakelock". If I want to drill-down into any of the items on the list, all I have to do is click on it for details.

08-03-2013 04:17 AM
    This thread has some great information. I've been holding off on installing Sprint's MF9 update for the S4 because of similarly reported degraded battery behavior. Gotten some good insights and tools to use if I decide to take the plunge and experience the problem.

On a separate but related note, can anyone here recommend the best app for monitoring charge current on Samsung devices. I own a Samsung multimedia dock and get widely varying charge times on my S4 and my Note 8 when I use the dock charger vs. The Samsung 2A wall charger. I know the dock can charge at 2A max but it doesn't seem to be consistently appkying max charge current like the wall charger does. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums
    08-03-2013 04:40 AM
    Just an update in case anyone else thinks this might be useful.

I turned off Location sharing and it didn't do anything either.

I'm only a day and a half into my new test, but with those both off and after having turned off the Activity Summary (which didn't work anyway), Events nearby, Photo spots nearby, Places, Public transit, Research topics, Stocks and Traffic cards in Google Now my screen time went from ~2 hours per day up to 3.5 hours per day. My location is now being checked more like once per minute on average rather than once every 42 seconds. That's with AutoLocation based Geofences in Tasker and BatteryGuru (without WiFi control) both on.

The Location history was kind of cool, but more or less worthless to me. I'm still not sure what Location sharing actually did. Most of the cards I disabled were pretty useless to me as well. My work commute is all of 2.5 miles and I never really used the other cards. I could see some of them being useful on vacation, but there's no reason for them to drain my battery for the other 50 weeks out of the year.

I suppose the point is that the only way to really know what's using your battery or checking your location is to closely monitor all of that and perform experiments to see what actually makes a difference. It sounds like it might get a lot easier in 4.3 when we can control permissions ourselves, but most of us will probably have to wait a while before we can do that.
    08-07-2013 09:59 AM
41 12