On my new S4 for Verizon I have 1-2 bars of LTE in my house, however it switches to 3G all the time. And if I go into airplane mode then back out, the LTE comes right back out and I get of 10 mbps download on speedtest, so is their a way I can make it so it doesn't switch automatically? Or to only use LTE?

Thanks,

Dan
    08-01-2013 11:38 AM
    As far as I know there is no way from Android itself to designate only LTE. Its designed to hand off to whatever signal is working best at that moment in time so you don't lose connection or data capabilities.

There maybe a way to tinker with this accessing the program settings thru the dialer pad but do so with extreme caution because settings in there are sensitive and important and not something the carrier or OEM like seeing you alter.
    08-01-2013 12:13 PM
    How do I access this from the dialer of my S4?
    08-01-2013 12:27 PM
    Best thing to do is search for programming mode via dialer. I hate telling a member to search but in this situation its my only answer. Each device has its own way or code of entering programming mode and I make no promise that the option is available in there to change what your looking for either.

Again, can't stress the importance of being careful from the programming mode. Its not that it's secret, I've entered it many times myself when on the phone with CS from my carrier to provision my device but without proper instruction on what your doing you can cause yourself a headache real fast.
    08-01-2013 01:16 PM
    Thank you for the quick reply, I am just not happy that I could keep a steady 2 bars of LTE in my house but it switches over for no important reason. I came to android from iPhone for the customization, I do not se how this cannot be done.
    08-01-2013 01:54 PM
    You realize that LTE only would mean data only - aka any calls you received would go straight to voicemail and you'd be unable to make calls.

Again: LTE is data only.

EDIT: All this below is AT&T info, so not sure how far it applies to Verizon.

There was a way that I described on the S3 that would allow you to set it to LTE only...I'm not sure if it works for the S4
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-g...-hspa-too.html

You could also install a custom ROM with the international firmware...but that doesn't let you set LTE only. The choices are LTE/HSPA+/GSM (automatic, default), HSPA+/GSM (automatic), HSPA+ only, GSM only.
    08-01-2013 04:23 PM
    Your phone may be showing 2 bars of LTE but it may not really be that strong of a signal.
    The bars you see are just the strength of the cellular service and not of the cellular data signal.
    You need something like SignalCheck Lite or SignalCheck Pro to see what you are really getting.
    It lets me see what I'm getting strength wise.
    I have had full bars shown but poor data strength.

If you look at the screencap you'll see on the left two signal strengths.
    The left one (EH or eHRPD) is data (currently 3g) and the right one (1x or 1xRTT) is cellular.

Sprint is currently building its new network where I live and I can be sitting at home and see the data signal go up and down while the cellular signal stays steady.
    I can also see how strong LTE is when it gets turned on for testing.
    08-01-2013 05:20 PM