Firmware Upgrade problem

Roymac

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi Team,

I have run into a major snag with my Galaxy S4. During, what I thought was going to be a routine update via my PC (USB cable) and the Kies program, the latest firmware update (I don't know the version but it is the current one as of 3 Aug 13) failed during the process. The phone is running Jelly Bean and has been updated a couple time before via Kies without a snag. This morning, Kies did an update to itself then offered the firmware update. I accepted and things were proceeding normally with all the component files having appeared to have downloaded fine. At the point of applying the update the phone showed the usual warning sign "downloading do not switch off target!!!" but the status bar on the PC screen remained at 0% progress for about 10 mins before a notice saying "update failed" appeared and advising me to use the emergency recovery tool. To cut the story short - the emergency recovery procedure started fine but after all the components were downloaded the screen vanished and nothing more happened - and I left it for nearly 45 mins to make sure. The phone now has sign saying "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again". Kies does not seem to be able to complete the recovery process despite knowing there is a problem with phone's firmware; what should be my next move? I have not "rooted" or "hacked" the phone and just has the usual mainstream apps on it.

Any constructive pointers will be gratefully received.

Roy Mac.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi Team,

I have run into a major snag with my Galaxy S4. During, what I thought was going to be a routine update via my PC (USB cable) and the Kies program, the latest firmware update (I don't know the version but it is the current one as of 3 Aug 13) failed during the process. The phone is running Jelly Bean and has been updated a couple time before via Kies without a snag. This morning, Kies did an update to itself then offered the firmware update. I accepted and things were proceeding normally with all the component files having appeared to have downloaded fine. At the point of applying the update the phone showed the usual warning sign "downloading do not switch off target!!!" but the status bar on the PC screen remained at 0% progress for about 10 mins before a notice saying "update failed" appeared and advising me to use the emergency recovery tool. To cut the story short - the emergency recovery procedure started fine but after all the components were downloaded the screen vanished and nothing more happened - and I left it for nearly 45 mins to make sure. The phone now has sign saying "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again". Kies does not seem to be able to complete the recovery process despite knowing there is a problem with phone's firmware; what should be my next move? I have not "rooted" or "hacked" the phone and just has the usual mainstream apps on it.

Any constructive pointers will be gratefully received.

Roy Mac.

Welcome to the forums!
In this case, I would suggest to take it back to your carrier, explain what happened. You did not root your device, and that can actually help you. If they choose to do nothing, you can try Samsung.
If this is not an option, I can suggest something else.