Should I swap to a galaxy S4

Rigglife

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I know I'm on an android forum so this will be abit biast but a friend of mine just got a s4 and hates it and wants to swap for my iPhone 5. I am a big apple user but I do agree ios is boring, even with ios 7. About a year ago I sold my iPhone 4s and got a s3 but after a few months I got over it and went to an iPhone 5.

Main reason I hated it was due to how hard I found it to put music or pictures on the phone. Apparently this can now be synced wireless.

What should I do guys? I'm really liking the screen size and features on the s4 but I just don't want to make the wrong decision and go back to iPhone. Can all your music and pictures and all that be synced wirelessly now? Can I sync with iTunes easily?

Many thanks

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I always thought being able to copy and paste straight to the phone as a mass storage device was easier than ios. I don't do it myself but I'm 99% sure you can sync wirelessly to your PC.

As far the initial question of whether to swap your phone I would say yes. I have had a LOT of different phoned over the last 5 years or so, everything from iphones to various android phones from different manufacturers and if there was a time to change it is now. I went from an iPhone 5 to a galaxy note 2 and never looked back. It will take time to get used to the Android ecosystem but I promise if you put that time in you will realise just how much apple us surviving on name only these days, they are soooo far behind it's shocking that they still sell so many phones and have the most expensive contracts. That being said, I'm a massive android fan so I am going to say these things lol hope this has helped

Rigglife

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. Think I'll make the switch once again. All tips and hints on making this phone feel better than an iPhone. Feel free.

F0REVERY0UNG-

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone 4s, this is my first non ios phone and I feel like this phone is an upgrade from the iPhone. lol
I think it's well worth the switch.
In order to get everything I need from my Mac to my phone I just downloaded 'Android File Transfer' onto my Mac, I connect the USB cable and drag and drop everything onto the phone.
I actually like this method better than iTunes.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using AC Forums mobile app

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was never a fan of iStuff because some things are so hard to do on it: no memory card, depends on iTunes, won't talk Bluetooth, no sharing between apps, no text search on browser... Etc etc.

But I gave my wife an iPhone 5 months ago and thought it was the best phone on the planet, for hardware, performance, size. I loved some things on it. It's perfect for the not tech savvy person.

Then in June I got myself a Galaxy S4. And it blew my mind. Far better than the iphone 5, bigger screen, AMOLED screen is just amazing. It's perfect for the tech savvy like me.

Just get a decent cover for it. I have an Otterbox defender. Perfect, worth every penny.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app

TTheInfamous1

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I was an iPhone user from day one. I just switched 2 weeks ago to the S4. I was very very reluctant to make the switch, but it was the best decision I've made. I kept saying how I was going to regret leaving the iPhone. I look back now and have no regrets. I feel like using the iPhone for all these years has left me in the technology dark. Now that I've made the switch, my eyes are open to all the options and functionality. Moving music and photos was easy than I thought it was going to be.

With that said, yes! Make the switch. Totally up to you. Just giving my two cents.

Posted via Android Central App

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I went from iPhone 4s to S3, back to iPhone 4s and then S4. For the first few weeks or months the S3 and S4 were fantastic and I had a great honeymoon with Samsung but after a while, I noticed that the stability of iPhone was not there in the S3 or S4. A lot of playing around with this and that to save battery, to save memory, to get it to not lag when trying to do something so I went back to iPhone. It's just so much more stable and reliable. It is "boring" but it works much better all around. There are plenty of people that claim the S4 does not have lag, has a great battery life and memory is not an issue but my experience was different. Maybe you will get lucky.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I too have had a lot of phones, iphones, and Androids. They're both nice but prefer my S4 and Note 8.0 over the iPhone 5 and ipad mini. You just have so much more flexibility with Android, but if you want it to be simple you can have that (try the Easy Mode launcher built into the S4). ...and if you do get to missing the look of iOS there are plenty of themes to take you there and beyond.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE

10 Gauge

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I was an iPhone user from day one. I just switched 2 weeks ago to the S4. I was very very reluctant to make the switch, but it was the best decision I've made. I kept saying how I was going to regret leaving the iPhone. I look back now and have no regrets. I feel like using the iPhone for all these years has left me in the technology dark. Now that I've made the switch, my eyes are open to all the options and functionality. Moving music and photos was easy than I thought it was going to be.

With that said, yes! Make the switch. Totally up to you. Just giving my two cents.

Posted via Android Central App

This!

I was in the same boat. An Apple diehard. I've had every iPhone on launch day from the original iPhone. It was only recently that I just got "bored" with iOS from using it so many years, and it never really changing. I decided first to try a Windows Phone (Lumia 1020, just wanted to check out the camera really) and what a mistake that was. Windows Phone absolutely sucks. Then I traded the WP in for an S4 and wow, I can't believe everything I have been missing on iPhone. The options and things you can do on the Android are almost limitless in comparison. Apple is very proprietary and they don't open up a lot of the API's to let 3rd party developers change how the phone actually looks and feels. That's opposite on the Android phones, you can pretty much customize every last little aspect you can possibly think of on it, and I think that's awesome!

Make the switch, I really don't think you will be disappointed. I use "Easy Phone Sync" to sync up my music from iTunes to my S4.

Martin Canton

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The phone has a problem with battery life, it'll be fine at first but within a few weeks a full charge only lasts 3 hours without using it. It also gets very hot...
I'd hold off untill they resolve these issues.

jerseykirby

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
The phone has a problem with battery life, it'll be fine at first but within a few weeks a full charge only lasts 3 hours without using it. It also gets very hot...

3 hours on a full charge?? Sounds like a defective device to me and not an issue with the actual phone as a whole. Which btw, has happened with Apple devices as well.

thornesone

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Something is defective with your phone, or you have something running full tilt. My S4 runs cool and the battery lasts all day with 30% left.

Posted via Android Central App using my awesome S4!

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree that is not standard performance. A runaway app perhaps, very weak signal, gps on while deep inside t big building, or as others have suggested, defective hardware.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This isn't the norm. My gf's S4 works pretty good and her battery lasts more then 3 hours or she would be yelling at me for suggesting that phone for her :D.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The battery life on mine has between fine. Easily on past with any of the IOS devices lying around the house.

I like both the iPhone and S4 for different reasons. Basically, the stereotypes are true. Out of the box, iPhone is more elegant, integrated, and bottoned down. But, S4 is so much easier to customize and a lot more fun to use.

Android meets my needs better, but I would be lying if I said one was "better" than the other.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
It all has to do with personal preferences and not really "which is better". For example, another reason I prefer iPhone is the ability to view the screen in bright sunlight. It's a bit better than S4. I am outdoors a lot in the summer and need to be able to at least see who is calling. S4 is nearly impossible to see in sunlight. Some may not care about that but that is one huge difference between any iPhone and any Amoled screen.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had the iPhone 5, but I admit I'm a phone junkie. But I recently got the s4 (like 2 weeks ago I think) and I am in love! I think for once, this may be the phone to hold me over until my upgrade in March. The iPhone 5 is a good phone, but I believe the s4 blows it out of the water. My boyfriend is a diehard iPhone fan and I even make him jealous with all the stupid little stuff the s4 does. And my battery lasts me from 8am-midnight...at least. I say give it a shot! Worst thing that happens is that you don't like it and you find someone to trade you for the iPhone 5. That's the way I look at everything though, you can find someone to trade you eventually :)

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I've had mine for almost two months. Battery lasts around 12h to 15h on normal use, Wi-Fi, calls and all. Lasts a bit less in areas with weak signal.

Battery lasted 21 h after last charge.

A couple of times I noticed more battery usage and hotter phone: checked cpu usage and found an app had gone a bit wild. Contacted developer for support and all fine since.

One thing that uses lots of battery: Google 's fancy services (Now, location, Latitude, upload pictures, etc). If you don't really use those, turn them off.

If you're not using internet a lot while on the move, switch to GSM only. Uses less battery and is fine for background email etc. Switch to 3G when needed.

But 3h is really low. I'd take the phone back to the shop.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01