Group messaging help - Possible bug?

chrisgs

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S4, AT&T, latest software update from AT&T, and group messages work just fine, except some users (all Android users actually, this is not an iMessage problem) acts weird..

It seems like on some androids, when they send group messages, it is sent to "Unknown" and then CC'd to the group message recipients. On some phones (such as mine), it does not thread the CC'd messages with the rest of the group message (being the receiver).

I know with my S4, this is what has been happening. I have the most recent software installed and have run a couple tests.
My friends S3 sends messages "To:Unknown" and "CC: [all group message numbers]". These messages end up arriving in just my conversation with the sender, not the group message. But, if I type in the group message, it gets threaded correctly to everyone else. Is this a problem with my phone or their phone?

Is this happening to anyone else? I dont know how to fix it, or how to fix it on the senders phone either. Sending a message to unknown and CCing everyone else does not seem normal and makes sense as to why these messages dont show in the group message, but iPhone and my friends S3 and S4 thread these messages correctly.
Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm new here.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S4, AT&T, latest software update from AT&T, and group messages work just fine, except some users (all Android users actually, this is not an iMessage problem) acts weird..

It seems like on some androids, when they send group messages, it is sent to "Unknown" and then CC'd to the group message recipients. On some phones (such as mine), it does not thread the CC'd messages with the rest of the group message (being the receiver).

I know with my S4, this is what has been happening. I have the most recent software installed and have run a couple tests.
My friends S3 sends messages "To:Unknown" and "CC: [all group message numbers]". These messages end up arriving in just my conversation with the sender, not the group message. But, if I type in the group message, it gets threaded correctly to everyone else. Is this a problem with my phone or their phone?

Is this happening to anyone else? I dont know how to fix it, or how to fix it on the senders phone either. Sending a message to unknown and CCing everyone else does not seem normal and makes sense as to why these messages dont show in the group message, but iPhone and my friends S3 and S4 thread these messages correctly.
Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm new here.

Honestly, group messaging seems to be a recurring issue. First I would recommend using another messaging app. Textra (what I use), hand cent or go SMS. They all handle group messaging very well. I don't know how to fix issues with stock because I never keep stock. Maybe give those apps a try and see what you think.

Posted via Android Central App

chrisgs

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, group messaging seems to be a recurring issue. First I would recommend using another messaging app. Textra (what I use), hand cent or go SMS. They all handle group messaging very well. I don't know how to fix issues with stock because I never keep stock. Maybe give those apps a try and see what you think.

Posted via Android Central App

Definitely been considering trying a different app, but I currently have Light Manager and it doesnt support Textra unless I'm rooted. Having the newest software, there's no surefire way of rooting :-\

Also, I feel like this is something Samsung should be able to fix...its obvious that the problem is because the messages are being CC'd from other users and the receiver just isnt recognizing it as a group message. Something like if group messaging is turned on, all messages, CC'd or not, will be threaded into one message if there are multiple recipients.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Definitely been considering trying a different app, but I currently have Light Manager and it doesnt support Textra unless I'm rooted. Having the newest software, there's no surefire way of rooting :-\

Also, I feel like this is something Samsung should be able to fix...its obvious that the problem is because the messages are being CC'd from other users and the receiver just isnt recognizing it as a group message. Something like if group messaging is turned on, all messages, CC'd or not, will be threaded into one message if there are multiple recipients.

Yeah I agree with you about that. A lot of people have group messaging issues with different Android devices. What makes it difficult for people to resolve is everyone is on different carriers, devices and messaging apps LOL. So it can be different factors for different users that need to be tweaked to correct. My second favorite messagining app is Handcent and I've had several group conversations and it threaded it appropriately when people responded and the users were on iPhones and other devices as well. You just have to download the group MMS plugin and should be good to go. Try it out.

Ginnette

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
the best messaging app for android is go sms which i use as my default, in the send and receive part of the settings you can enable group texts with iphone and it works like a charm, most of my friends are iphone users.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown