Is anyone noticing burn in issues on their GS4 screen? I was just about ready to pull the trigger and get one, but decided to make a trip to Best Buy to check it out one more time in person. I picked up the display model with the flip cover with cutout for clock and notifications and was shocked to find severe screen burn in from the clock. I mean really bad. Bad enough to make my eyes bug out trying to focus on anything in that part of the screen. When I asked the sales guy about it he had no response other than to quickly pull it and replace it with a new one. Is anyone else seeing this? I want this phone but not if the screen is going to look like that a few months down the road.
    08-05-2013 06:30 PM
    I haven't heard of that happening. Maybe happening in there everyone walking by and looking the whole time? if this were to happen it would be replaced under warranty I would not let this affect your decision to make the purchase. also do not buy the garbage cover with the View window. it's expensive and offers 0 protection. if you like the view aspect to it you can get the Spigen slim armor view. I have it and it's freaking awesome.
    08-05-2013 07:32 PM
    That phone was probably running almost 24/7 with the screen on for quite a while. It would be a challenge for just about any screen not to have some burn in like that. I do not use the flip cover, but turn the screen off (when I remember, thanks to years of using a Blackberry with the sleep mode magnet). I haven't had my S4 but a couple months, but no issues like that so far. Have not heard of any complaints with the S3's in the house after 8-9 months, either.
    08-05-2013 07:34 PM
    I have an s3, over a year old now and no such issues on the screen.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-05-2013 08:01 PM
    Burn in seems to happen when the device is showing still image for a long time. This case: s view window clock. I know clock changes image but that is the only part of the screen active.

It's as same as plasma display. Burn in doesn't happen as long as the screen changes frequently.

That's why I am worried about my notification bar... it almost never changes. But haven't burned in any yet. This is my first AMOLED screen so I'm little more paranoid about it.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-05-2013 09:01 PM
    The view window won't do it unless the screen is always on. (There IS a setting to never turn off when charging, but it's not on by default)
    08-05-2013 11:02 PM
    Yes always judge things by a display model that gets abused a hundred times a day ...
    jaleesag88 likes this.
    08-06-2013 03:10 AM
    Being a display model that gets touched a hundred times a day has nothing to do with the clock getting burned into the screen.

More likely it's as MagicMike said and it was sitting too long untouched with the clock area always on. Sounds like it isn't a widespread problem and can be avoided by not using the cutout flip cover. I did find some people with notification bar burn in, but that would be less of a problem since it's at the edge of the screen.
    08-06-2013 08:13 PM
    I've never heard of that happening. The same image must've been sitting there for a long long long time w/out changing.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE
    08-06-2013 08:49 PM
    Being a display model that gets touched a hundred times a day has nothing to do with the clock getting burned into the screen.
    Being touched, and being abused like I said are two different things. I would imagine people constantly opening and closing the flip cover through out the day just to see the S-view info screen pop-up could cause some burn-in, or maybe there's a demo mode that keeps the S-view screen on for a unusual amount of time to catch shoppers attention that might be the culprit. The point being is that a store display model is never an accurate representation of what a product will provide through normal day to day usage ...
    08-07-2013 09:47 AM
    I agree with the phone being on in the store 24/7 and at that rate burn in would take about 2-3 weeks of always being on before that happens.
    08-07-2013 10:56 AM
    Those display models are constantly on 24/7. After about a week of being on all day every day, serious AMOLED burn-in will occur. I have a Droid Maxx HD and I use my phone a lot. Had it for about almost a year now. And I notice a subtle burn where the notification bar and the on-screen nav keys are. Which is expected. It's not horrible and I don't notice it all the time, but it's hard to take your eyes off of it once you see it there. I'll also mention that the on-screen nav keys burn-in are much more noticeable than the top notification bar simply 'cause the black bar surrounding the nave keys take up much more pixels.
    10-04-2013 11:27 AM
    Might be a reason not to use those cut out covers for the clock though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
    10-04-2013 11:54 AM