Found a great new texting app!

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Textra. Wow it's so quick and smooth! Has one bug that's really annoying, doesn't work with blocking mode, which is sad. I just emailed the developer and let them know. If your looking for a new non heavy sms messager then look no further. I had go sms pro, very buggy always and laggy, chomp was great but for some reason I can't send mms and had to uninstall. Handcent is good but not really fast. Textra has something going.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Textra. Wow it's so quick and smooth! Has one bug that's really annoying, doesn't work with blocking mode, which is sad. I just emailed the developer and let them know. If your looking for a new non heavy sms messager then look no further. I had go sms pro, very buggy always and laggy, chomp was great but for some reason I can't send mms and had to uninstall. Handcent is good but not really fast. Textra has something going.

Agree. I switched to Textra from Handcent not too long ago and it's fast, lightweight, looks good and just works. I don't need all the bloat of GoSMS or Handcent and gazillion customization options. This works perfect. I'd pay for this if I had to.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's made from the same people who made ChompSMS so I've been thinking of taking a look at it.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
WIll any of these work w/ my Google Voice number or only w/ the normal carrier number?
There's a way to set google voice to work with it, go to google voice, settings, sync and notifications, receive text messages via messaging app, which ever messaging app u have set as default your texts should be sent to :)

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a galaxy s4, but I do use textra on my droid RAZR m and I love it. It is really smooth, fast, and lightweight.

manthanvyas

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I just want to confirm that, does this app having pop up notification. Like the screen is locked but it displays received SMS in pop up window..
Thanks

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It has pop up but not yet over lock screen. I left it for chomp just because of that and because badges on nova work with chomp. Textra is a great messaging app and once little features like that are improved I will be going back.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It has pop up but not yet over lock screen. I left it for chomp just because of that and because badges on nova work with chomp. Textra is a great messaging app and once little features like that are improved I will be going back.

Ouch that kills it for me. I've used chompsms for years and it's because I can text from my lock screen.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I thought that would be a killer for me but the benefits outweigh that for me at the moment. As good as the developer support is, I'm sure they have these added things in soon. I just appreciate an app that works without all the extra stuff.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I thought that would be a killer for me but the benefits outweigh that for me at the moment. As good as the developer support is, I'm sure they have these added things in soon. I just appreciate an app that works without all the extra stuff.

What extra stuff? ChompSMS and Textra are made by the same people.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
What extra stuff? ChompSMS and Textra are made by the same people.

I know it's made by the same people but there's a reason they have 2 messaging apps. I don't like all the customization stufff of most of the app. Of course I can ignore but I just prefer the more lightweight, straightforward, simple app. Having said that, chomp is no where near the bloat of handcent and goSMS. Just my preference.

PhobicCarrot

May 24, 2013
Visit site
There's a way to set google voice to work with it, go to google voice, settings, sync and notifications, receive text messages via messaging app, which ever messaging app u have set as default your texts should be sent to :)

Thats not quite what I was looking for. I know I can do that w/ my GV# and the stock texting app, but that solution is a PITA, as it is not seamless. You can't send FROM your GV# unless you are replying. In effect, you now separated the SMS function into two different apps. NOT A GOOD SOLUTION.

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I tried it for about a day. It's definitely lighter and quicker, but I don't like how the threads aren't as customizable as I'd like. The screen on the GS4 is so big, I don't like having the font of the conversation too large (even the font of the stock messaging app is too large for me).

I'll stick with chomp for a while longer.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol