My 3 month old PNY 32gb decided to give up the ghost last night. On the bright side, I only keep photos and music on it and everything is backed up to the PC so nothing is lost but had I not recently backed up, it could have been a different story.

So now I am looking for a replacement. Any opinions on brand and model that is a little more reliable?

Thanks

troutspinner
    08-06-2013 09:01 AM
    PNY is usually a great band. Other good brands are Kingston (they made my pc RAM for years) Samsung and SanDisk. There are others as well.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app
    08-06-2013 09:03 AM
    08-06-2013 09:23 AM
    Sandisk Ultra or Extreme. Whatever you get, format the card in your phone.

Sent from my Eclipsed S4
    08-06-2013 09:27 AM
    Just remember guys, the past couple of years have been 'rough' between SanDisk's cards and Samsung's newer devices. I've owned three different SanDisk cards with a Galaxy Note 2, an S3, and an S4 and have all failed (random unmounts, etc.). The blame used to be on SanDisk's older chips, but now it seems the phone's are also to blame.

The safest bet would be, of course, to use a Samsung card, but in my case, I went with an AData one (it turns out their chips are supplied by Samsung). So far, no issues.

Kingston is also good, I've used it before with good results but I haven't tried them with the S4 or last year's Sammy devices.
    08-06-2013 10:16 AM
    Just remember guys, the past couple of years have been 'rough' between SanDisk's cards and Samsung's newer devices. I've owned three different SanDisk cards with a Galaxy Note 2, an S3, and an S4 and have all failed (random unmounts, etc.). The blame used to be on SanDisk's older chips, but now it seems the phone's are also to blame.

The safest bet would be, of course, to use a Samsung card, but in my case, I went with an AData one (it turns out their chips are supplied by Samsung). So far, no issues.

Kingston is also good, I've used it before with good results but I haven't tried them with the S4 or last year's Sammy devices.
    Never had an issue here and been using the same 32GB since my GS3 last year and now on the S4. Maybe I'm lucky.
    08-06-2013 10:37 AM
    Samsung sd cards. I have a 32Gb one. Used it in 4 of my last phones(Evo 3D,Gs3,Gn2,Evo Lte) and still works like a champ in my Gs4.

From my Sammy Galaxy S4
    08-06-2013 11:03 AM
    Thank you for the replies. Looks like the Samsung is the safe bet. Can they be bought at best buy or at&t or should I order. Probably be cheaper to order online I suppose.

troutspinner
    08-06-2013 11:17 AM
    Never had an issue here and been using the same 32GB since my GS3 last year and now on the S4. Maybe I'm lucky.
    Maybe you are...or maybe you haven't noticed. The random unmounts/remounts happen most of the time when the screen is off. You can only tell when, suddenly, your battery life seems to drop rapidly for no apparent reason, especially if you have a ton of files in the card. Most of the time you don't lose data because the card doesn't get damaged, but last year I did hear about a couple of cases where the entire card was fried and the data was unrecoverable.
    08-06-2013 03:08 PM
    Sandisk ultra has been nothing but reliable and quick. 64gb

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-06-2013 03:31 PM
    Maybe you are...or maybe you haven't noticed. The random unmounts/remounts happen most of the time when the screen is off. You can only tell when, suddenly, your battery life seems to drop rapidly for no apparent reason, especially if you have a ton of files in the card. Most of the time you don't lose data because the card doesn't get damaged, but last year I did hear about a couple of cases where the entire card was fried and the data was unrecoverable.
    yeah I'm part of this 'distinguished' club too. On two different s4's my ultra 32gb would randomely dismount and re-mount seemingly at its own pleasure. Most often during music play. Worked fine in other devices so it's defo a compatibility thing between sandisk and the galaxy range.

Just bought (at a much higher price damnit) a 32gb class 10 samsung today and it's all plain sailing so far....
    08-06-2013 05:35 PM