switching to Google edition

Spartacus MD

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I have an s4 that I got through att. It's the regular version. I'm tired if the lag though thats caused by touchwiz. Is there a way for me to reset my phone but give it the Google edition software which from my understanding is less laggy?

Posted via Android Central App

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I have an s4 that I got through att. It's the regular version. I'm tired if the lag though thats caused by touchwiz. Is there a way for me to reset my phone but give it the Google edition software which from my understanding is less laggy?

First off u gotta root and put a Google edition rom on it.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Sure can. As the above stated you'll need to install a custom ROM. You may need to check the appropriate forum for info. Also, if lag is your only concern, try loading a launcher like Nova. It usually improves performance as well as add more customization options. You can also use stock icons to look like a stock ROM. It doesn't get rid of touchwiz but if performance if your main concern, this is a quick and easy solution.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I thought about trying out the Google Edition rom, but then I think about all of the stupid little gestures I use and I think I might miss them haha! I know if I flash a rom I can always revert back to a touchwiz rom, but I still can't bring myself to do it lol.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I thought about trying out the Google Edition rom, but then I think about all of the stupid little gestures I use and I think I might miss them haha! I know if I flash a rom I can always revert back to a touchwiz rom, but I still can't bring myself to do it lol.

Yeah stock is good but not for everyone. People like to slam touch wiz and sense but in a lot of cases they add functionality and apps that can improve the experience. You can check the Google edition forum and see users asking for apps that touchwiz provides but stock doesn't. Until stock native apps are better we will always be searching for another app or launcher.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely make the move. In my opinion the Google Edition rom makes the S4 a better device.

Sent from my Google Play Edition HTC ONE.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

If you are willing to learn and research and try something somewhat complicated, you can switch to a custom ROM that is based on the Google Edition 4.3 firmware for the S4. It will involve rooting your device, installing a custom recovery, and flashing a custom ROM. Once you manage all of that, you will be able to use NANDROID backup/restore to switch between ROMS (i.e. switch between your 4.3 Google Edition and Stock Touchwiz and anything else you might install). The backup/restore takes only about 20 minutes for both backing up your current setup and restoring another one, so it's not all that bad once you do it.

Anyways, you really have to research and understand what you're doing. Read the guides. Realize you are doing something that could break your phone and/or remove your warranty...but of course if you do it right you can always restore to stock and have your warranty in tack...and never brick your device. If you want to learn and are willing to accept the risks, I made a fairly comprehensive thread in the rooting forum that you should read:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...t-rooting-recovery-custom-roms-look-here.html

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy