I just got myself an aluminum case through Ebay. So essentially, it looks and feels like an Iphone 6. I do like the look of it but I have some concerns:

A. How's the protection compared to an Otterbox or a case similar to it? Verizon gave me an Otterbox Commuter, but it looked very plain so I shelved it in favor of aluminum. But I'm afraid to drop it. I had to remove the back plastic to put it in this case
    B. Does NFC and S-beam work through an aluminum case? My friend tried to share with me a picture this afternoon using his S3 and it didn't work. My brother tried the same with an S4 and it didn't work either. I had both features enabled.

Just wondering what your thoughts are....
    realisticgirl likes this.
    08-11-2013 09:19 PM
    If it's anything like the kommadant(kommander(i forgot the name/brand)) You won't be able to use Nfc or S-beam. and as for protection since it's aluminum and therefore a hard surface i dont think it'll be too great at absorbing/dispersing shock from a drop.

From my Sammy Galaxy S4
    08-11-2013 09:43 PM
    I just got myself an aluminum case through Ebay. So essentially, it looks and feels like an Iphone 6. I do like the look of it but I have some concerns:

A. How's the protection compared to an Otterbox or a case similar to it? Verizon gave me an Otterbox Commuter, but it looked very plain so I shelved it in favor of aluminum. But I'm afraid to drop it. I had to remove the back plastic to put it in this case
    B. Does NFC and S-beam work through an aluminum case? My friend tried to share with me a picture this afternoon using his S3 and it didn't work. My brother tried the same with an S4 and it didn't work either. I had both features enabled.

I would assume that those features should still work even through that kind of case, I don't know why it isn't working for you

Sent from my Galaxy SIII
    08-11-2013 09:51 PM
    The switch in on for both NFC and S-Beam. It still didn't work.
    08-11-2013 11:06 PM

First, you haven't even told us the exact case and manufacture. Second, you have pretty much answered your own question regarding NFC. I guess it doesn't work if you have already tried it.
    Long story short. If you are going to post a question, you are going to need to be more specific. I personally have the Otterbox Defender for my phone which I have taken off the built on screen protector and replaced it with my own. And NFC works PERFECT with no issues.
    I would recommend finding out who the manufacture is for your new case and contact THEM since all you have given us, is that's it's alluminum. Not a big help
    Do you have a credit card with a chip? Pay pass? If so turn on NFC and swipe your credit card, if you don't heard the noise it's not working.
    08-12-2013 07:30 AM
    Lol. Be aware the OP may not have a technical background and really may not understand, at all, why he/she has given insufficient info.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE
    08-15-2013 09:43 AM
    Nothing will seperate me , my s4 and my otterbox defender

Posted via Android Central App
    08-15-2013 09:56 AM
    Ps this is a funny thread... why get an android and try to make it an iphone ?lol Only the phone reviewers get all hot about aluminium and plastic ... plastic is probably more shock proof than alu if u drop it ...that ...'premium feel' is tbh just stupid corporate talk. Just like thickness. I mean I have mine in an otterbox, so thickness has gone out of the window for maximum protection of a 500 quid phone. So swapping your back for alu seems a little bit pointless ... and will probably affect nfc too .
    Pmsl

08-15-2013 10:04 AM
    Ps .. for all the ppl targeting the original thread poster... im reading this and I know your irate... but this might just be a kid yknow ? Need to calm down... i really can see why your mad... but its amounting to bullying if it carries on, exasperating as it may be. Im new to this forum and very opinionated too, but reading this thread has felt awkard. Not a good start to my new forum input .

CampCash likes this.
    08-15-2013 10:10 AM
    Ps .. for all the ppl targeting the original thread poster... im reading this and I know your irate... but this might just be a kid yknow ? Need to calm down... i really can see why your mad... but its amounting to bullying if it carries on, exasperating as it may be. Im new to this forum and very opinionated too, but reading this thread has felt awkard. Not a good start to my new forum input .

Amen. Welcome to the forums.

08-15-2013 02:13 PM

I hear where you are coming from, but please note, I was blunt in my first reply but not rude, I made points, that made sense. And I was replied to by the OP with an ample amount of attitude when he simply could have just answered the questions presented. Which again, to date, still have been left unanswered, making his original questions nearly impossible to answer!
    08-15-2013 02:27 PM
    There is often a very thin line between blunt and rude, and it is very easy to confuse the two, online of all places. I have cleaned up this thread, and have decided for the most part not to issue any infractions or warnings at the time being. Please note that this will serve as my official warning. Any further personal insults on intelligence or use of inappropriate language will be dealt with accordingly.

OP, unless the case was made specifically with cutouts in mind for the appropriate sensors/antennas, I very much doubt that NFC or other services dependent on those antennas would work. That is why the HTC one has plastic injections in the locations that it does. If you take the case off, and nfc or sbeam works appropriately, but not when the case is on, I would entirely attribute it to the material of the casing.
    mhinc and ladyc0524 like this.
    08-15-2013 03:14 PM
    Thank you Ms Moderator. That is EXACTLY the answer I needed to hear. You seem to get the point and understand the problem without needing 20 bit of information like some other people.

People come to forums to get help.....not to get insulted...not to be made like an ***** for asking the question. If I missed some vital information (which I don't think I did), then ask. Simple.
    08-15-2013 11:34 PM
    To answer your question, I love the Iphone case. It's great to hold in your hand and isn't bulky. Besides, I don't want something that I can't fit inside my front pocket. That's why the aluminum case was attractive. That's it. I hate Apple and the Iphone. I would never get one. I'd figure if I had the look and feel of an Iphone but on one of the best Android phone made, it would be cool. But this case gave me more problems than its worth so I'm returning it.
    08-15-2013 11:39 PM
    Thank you Ms Moderator. That is EXACTLY the answer I needed to hear. You seem to get the point and understand the problem without needing 20 bit of information like some other people.

People come to forums to get help.....not to get insulted...not to be made like an ***** for asking the question. If I missed some vital information (which I don't think I did), then ask. Simple.
    You can call me Jennifer one thing to keep in mind is that the more valid information you can provide regarding an issue, and the more specific the thread title, the more likely you are to receive the advice you seek. That isn't an excuse for what has happened here, just a friendly tip for any further questions you may have. I am sorry for the problems this case has caused. Aluminum tends to be a pretty finicky material to use in electronic builds. Remember the tin foil hats? :P while definitely attractive and premium feeling, it tends to take it's toll on signal strength and other wireless features of the device, unless otherwise accommodated.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    08-16-2013 12:24 AM
    To answer your question, I love the Iphone case. It's great to hold in your hand and isn't bulky. Besides, I don't want something that I can't fit inside my front pocket. That's why the aluminum case was attractive. That's it. I hate Apple and the Iphone. I would never get one. I'd figure if I had the look and feel of an Iphone but on one of the best Android phone made, it would be cool. But this case gave me more problems than its worth so I'm returning it.
    You may like the HTC One.

08-16-2013 06:49 AM