I prefer my devices to have a consistent user interface. iOS is nice because the iPhone and iPad look/behave the same way.

Many Android devices, as you all know, have varying interfaces depending on who produces them. I was previously frustrated with my Samsung GS3 and Nexus 7 (2012) tablet because each had a different UI. I even had muscle memory issues since the back button was on the right on the Samsung and on the left on the Nexus 7/stock Android - kept hitting the wrong buttons on each device.

So, my question is this. Anyone have any comments insofar as going all-in with the Samsung ecosystem. Say, a Galaxy S4 phone and a Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet (to replace my iPhone 5 and Razr Maxx HD, iPad mini and Nexus 7).

Both phone and tablet would have a consistent UI (TouchWiz on both), so buttons, icons, artwork, etc. would be consistent throughout.

Any thoughts? Anyone here do the same thing... go all-in for Samsung mobile products?
    08-12-2013 09:45 AM
    I understand your motive behind this and its a reasonable one too..

However even staying within the Samsung or any OEM ecosystem we have found its not always as " universal " as you would think in Android. I get that with iOS because Apple likes to stay uniform, same time they also are a closed source platform and they dictate to a great extent how you will enjoy and use your device.

Flip over to Android and its an open source platform so developers for OEMs/carriers have complete freedom to change the code to suit their needs. So it is very possible you will see differences within the same ecosystem because OEM's for Android like to offer something a different flavor or approach per device to get your attention and also explore other areas on each device.

I can certainly see where you had some problems with your mention of the Samsung Galaxy S3 and a Nexus 7 tablet. Main reason your talking a branded OEM/carrier device with custom UI (TouchWiz) and pure Google stock vanilla Android on the Nexus. Things are going to be different in that respect.

Interested to hear what others have to say too...
    08-12-2013 11:50 AM
    I prefer my devices to have a consistent user interface. iOS is nice because the iPhone and iPad look/behave the same way.

Many Android devices, as you all know, have varying interfaces depending on who produces them. I was previously frustrated with my Samsung GS3 and Nexus 7 (2012) tablet because each had a different UI. I even had muscle memory issues since the back button was on the right on the Samsung and on the left on the Nexus 7/stock Android - kept hitting the wrong buttons on each device.

So, my question is this. Anyone have any comments insofar as going all-in with the Samsung ecosystem. Say, a Galaxy S4 phone and a Galaxy Note 8.0 tablet (to replace my iPhone 5 and Razr Maxx HD, iPad mini and Nexus 7).

Both phone and tablet would have a consistent UI (TouchWiz on both), so buttons, icons, artwork, etc. would be consistent throughout.

Any thoughts? Anyone here do the same thing... go all-in for Samsung mobile products?
    The only reason to get Note 8 is because you value the Spen otherwise I would get the Nexus 7 and the S4. I love my Note 8 but it is more specialized.

Remember the ecosystem is across Google. I wouldn't use the Samsung App store for anything because you get locked into that device and lose the flexibility of Android.

The other thing is because you mention Touchwiz, you can install a custom launcher on both the phone and tablet and create a consistent look and feel you want.
    08-12-2013 12:19 PM
    Samsung for hardware, Google for for software/cloud/ecosystem.

Samsung ecosystem pretty much sucks, in my opinion. All those apps are a waste of space and inferior to the alternatives.
    08-12-2013 10:50 PM