Random Question

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Random question here but if you can help that would be great.

I have Samsung S4 and want to stream music to my Bluray surround sound - can do this Via Wifi but the Wifi Receiver cost ?80 - I would wire it to the modem but it will be messy and not look great.

I have a Sony BDV E290 - I was wondering if its at all possible to get a Bluetooth usb adapter and do it over Bluetooth - only question is, Will this work?

the Adapter is only ?9.99 so a much better option for me.

thanks

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Random question here but if you can help that would be great.

I have Samsung S4 and want to stream music to my Bluray surround sound - can do this Via Wifi but the Wifi Receiver cost ?80 - I would wire it to the modem but it will be messy and not look great.

I have a Sony BDV E290 - I was wondering if its at all possible to get a Bluetooth usb adapter and do it over Bluetooth - only question is, Will this work?

the Adapter is only ?9.99 so a much better option for me.

thanks

You could try it. The only possible loss is the small amount of cash, and even then you still might be able to return it.

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
That's true I could probably return without hassle - and its not very much - I just hate when you think you figured out how to do something get home all excited and....well no sound lol

fingers crossed then eh?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That's true I could probably return without hassle - and its not very much - I just hate when you think you figured out how to do something get home all excited and....well no sound lol

fingers crossed then eh?

Lol...pretty much. I wouldn't let one USB bluetooth reciever stop you. Try another one if that doesn't work. If a second one doesn't then the whole idea is scraped. But perhaps an MHL adapter? I don't know if it will work with just sound, but I can connect my S2 to my TV. There are MHL to HDMI adapters on Shop Android.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you mean an USB Bluetooth adapter, then your system doesn't seem to support that (according to the specs, it only supports USB Drive Mode, as in seeing the files stored in your phone, not using a Bluetooth driver for data and/or audio stream). But if your system has an AUX input and you're buying a Bluetooth audio receiver then yes, it should work. But with Bluetooth being so short range, you might want to spend a buck or two on an AUX cable instead, although you would lose mobility.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
If you have an old Android phone my understanding is there's a way to use it as a media player like you're describing. I think it's a common use for an old phone so it should be easy enough to Google.

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
If you mean an USB Bluetooth adapter, then your system doesn't seem to support that (according to the specs, it only supports USB Drive Mode, as in seeing the files stored in your phone, not using a Bluetooth driver for data and/or audio stream). But if your system has an AUX input and you're buying a Bluetooth audio receiver then yes, it should work. But with Bluetooth being so short range, you might want to spend a buck or two on an AUX cable instead, although you would lose mobility.

Well I have tried to connect my phone (Samsung s4) to the bluray player and it didn't recognise the phone at all. I asked at Sony and they said the usb input only picks up the basics such as files on a normal usb stuck like mp3 and photos.

For some reason using an aux cable the sound quality is no where near as good.

Hmm seems like I will have to stick with the wifi .

my shiney new S4

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's because Android for some bizarre reason (OK, it has to do with memory allocation and efficiency, but still...) removed USB-Storage mode from the OS, thus removing support from devices that don't recognize MTP. Your system, I gather, only recognizes basic USB Storage, which your phone no longer has. If you're rooted, there are apps and hacks to bring it back though.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
There's a Bluetooth receiver made by BlackBerry that I use. It was approx $50, plugs right in to any existing stereo, and sounds great. I don't remember the name of it, but it's in the Android Central store and elsewhere. Works great.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
That's because Android for some bizarre reason (OK, it has to do with memory allocation and efficiency, but still...) removed USB-Storage mode from the OS, thus removing support from devices that don't recognize MTP. Your system, I gather, only recognizes basic USB Storage, which your phone no longer has. If you're rooted, there are apps and hacks to bring it back though.

What a bummer...

my shiney new S4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2