Apps not really moving from device to SD card? What's this all about?

steviecapt

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
i dont know what the hell your on about, but it took me a day to completely set up my phone with all my music and photos put on it, and set up various accounts, and i came from using a nokia N8, so i wasnt used to using android, it just takes some patience, to get used to the new system, sounds like your just missing your iphone, and btw ive used an iphone, cant really see what the attraction is, in my view they are just way over priced, what puts me off iphones is, battery not removable, no sd card slot, but at the end of the day, they are good phones, but its up to people to make their choice, there is no perfect phone, its just what suits the individual best.

liddellw1

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Use the MyFiles app on the phone and it will show both the SD Card and Device Storage. Long press the file you want to move and it will give you the option to move. Select the storage location you want to move and select move here. Voila! You can move files back and forth with this system app.

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Use the MyFiles app on the phone and it will show both the SD Card and Device Storage. Long press the file you want to move and it will give you the option to move. Select the storage location you want to move and select move here. Voila! You can move files back and forth with this system app.

Yeah, with files. but not with Apps. That's the main issue here.

DarkStopDying

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I am have been going crazy with this exact same issue. I am not going to attempt to explain what the hell is going on so people can actually start helping!

My Samsung S4 basically sees my SD card, but does not treat it as if it were the external SD card.
Samsung Screen1.jpgsamsung Screen2.jpg
Samsung Screen3.jpgSamsung Screen4.jpg

Can anyone explain what is going on here?!

Edit: Fixed pictures. Also may have found a solution. Will get back to you!

Last edited:

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I am have been going crazy with this exact same issue. I am not going to attempt to explain what the hell is going on so people can actually start helping!

My Samsung S4 basically sees my SD card, but does not treat it as if it were the external SD card.
View attachment 81944
View attachment 81945
View attachment 81946
View attachment 81947

Can anyone explain what is going on here?!

I can't see your attachments, but can give you some thoughts on the issue. The Android file system appears to be very convoluted. There are multiple file locations identified as "sdcard," with some being the external SD card and some being within the device's internal memory. Also, even if you find the actual SD card using a file app/browser, as best I can tell if you have apps on the card they won't be visible. I just installed a new SD card last night, then "moved" a bunch of apps there. I can't see them when browsing through the files on the phone with a file app, but I know they are there because I haven't put anything else on the SD card yet but the storage usage info. shows that there's something over 150MB on the card, even though the visible folders and files account for only around 4MB. The amount shown as used on the SD card comes pretty close to the total for apps on the SD card as shown in Application Manager.

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I can't see them when browsing through the files on the phone with a file app.

If you plug the SD into your pc and allow your pc to see hidden folders you should see them in I believe it's a folder called Android secure. I'm away from my pc but I think that's the one. It's hidden.

Posted via My Finger

Lucy Price

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I am very sorry that I bought this Samsung S4 like one of the previous guys commented here the let down in storage renders this
Phone useless. It is an amazing phone I am a gaged maniac and I had Iphones up to now iphone 5.

The hole appeal of the samsung S4 was the SD card it was a winner now after facing the issue that Stuff does not really move to the
SD card as it says I can not wait to discard of it asp.

I can not have a phone hanging around for so much cash that limites me from working playing and storing what I need.

I will be going back to Apple Iphone 5S which does not Have a sd card but I have 64GB and here I know what I get.
i checked a samsung for 32gb o dear I pay 800 pounds so the argument that samsung cheaper is not true you actually pay more for the same service.

I love android but samsung has lost me as a customer I also own the experia z which works greatly.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello Lucy, I don't know why your phone isn't moving apps to the SD card. Mine is been doing it since the update!

Maybe you haven't really checked?

Anyway, I don't think you really love Android, I think you like Apple a little better, and that's okay, everyone has different needs from devices.
But saying that the GS4 doesn't move apps to the SD card it's just not true. Unless you have a bad unit or haven't had the latest update for some reason.

Well, whatever you decide I wish you good luck!
:thumbup::)

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't use the S4 without the SD card - I've got more than 30GB of MP3s on it, as well as a bunch of apps. It's working fine for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello Lucy, I don't know why your phone isn't moving apps to the SD card. Mine is been doing it since the update!

Maybe you haven't really checked?

Anyway, I don't think you really love Android, I think you like Apple a little better, and that's okay, everyone has different needs from devices.
But saying that the GS4 doesn't move apps to the SD card it's just not true. Unless you have a bad unit or haven't had the latest update for some reason.

Well, whatever you decide I wish you good luck!
:thumbup::)

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

The s4 doesn't move whole apps to the SD card only portions and some can't be moved to the SD card at all. So you're only partially correct

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung S4 DOES NOT store apps on the SD card. Despite the update saying it can, it can only transfer a VERY small part of the app to an SD card. When it says the full App has transferred, it has actually been transferred to the emulated SD card on the actual phone device itself.

Due to the storage issue, and the phone crashing and losing photos from the SD card when it did, I have now went back to Apple and bought a iPhone 5 64 Gig. Apple phones just work. They do what they say on the tin. I wish i'd just got this as an upgrade instead of having to shell out cash for it after upgrading to the Samsung Galaxy S4.

Thanks for all those that tried to help with this issue, but it appears it is unsolveable.

Peter

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
bull****...i used xperia s,this wasnt a problem.xperia had internal memory but it nvr saved on my phone memory before...after i switch to samsung this happen....i only have 2gb of phone memory,so basically i can only download one good game then it will always stay full memory

Kenneth Liddle

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Why complain about the phone or manufacturer, when it is the developer that sets the rules? If you were really concerned with this, you would have asked upfront. Instead, you run to the forums taking about how android and Samsung suck, because you didn't ask the proper question at the point of sale. They sell iPhones and Android phones that have 64 gigs of space.

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, i DID ask upfront before i bought the phone. Samsung released a statement saying that Apps can now be stored on the SD card. Samsung are now backtracking due to a fault and blaming the devs for only allowinfg a small portion of the app to be stored on the SD card. Bollocks!! The dev either allows or doesn't allow SD storage. the problem is that the phone stores the bulk of the code on the "Emulated SD card" which is within the phones internal memory. If you look at the App in the settings, it appears that it has all moved. Well, yes it has......to the "emulated SD" on the phones internal memory.

Peter

auduk

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm a little bit late to the thread. But I am having the same problems as OP. Came here looking for a fix and reading this whole thread was quite painful. Now it seems all the patronising idiots have left. I may just have found a solution online..

I have a brand new Galaxy Note 3, 32gb and a brand new 64gb sandisk SD ultra. I too have a big library of apps and a bigger one of music. I currently have a full phone and an SD card with no apps on it just media.

In my opinion this isn't the developers fault at all, it seems to lie purely with either Samsung or Google, as 95% of the app is moved to the emulated SD card. So the developer has done its bit. It doesn't know that its only going to an emulated SD card on the device. Why Samsung have done this I don't know. Could it just be a mistake? That the emulated SD takes priority somehow? What's the point in having an emulated SD? It seems pointless. Its essentially a partition.

Anyway I haven't tried this yet but this bloke Rob Williams with techgage.com. Has a way to do it using your PC a USB cable and downloading part of an SDK kit. Then going into the phone using command prompt (NO ROOTING) and changing the default to external SD swapping all your apps as usual. Then changing your phone back again afterwards.

Here's the link Moving Your ‘Non-Movable’ Android Apps to an SD Card – Techgage

I'm gonna try it myself now. Ill report back at some stage incase anyone else like me stumbles upon this thread.

And whoever it was that wrote to Samsung, I have to wonder how you worded your question. Because they've missed the mark completely and there was no mention of an emulated SD in their response I believe. Just a shift of blame to the developers. Which as I've already mentioned have held up their side of the deal mostly. By making the app available for movement.

See how I've managed a whole message without mentioning Apple or anything else completely off topic.. What's wrong with some of you people!?

And to the kids who just reply without understanding the subject at all. I wonder what made you click on to this thread in the first place? Good luck to you in the future. You socially awkward tits.

Its been emotional.

Out to you.

prozacfield

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
There's no emulated SD card on S4, ?emulated? is just a term used in Android file system for various purposes.
Just moved 200-something MB of apps to external SD (thanks for reminding me to do so!), the SD actually went from 7 GB of free space to 6.8.
For some strange reason the forum doesn't allow me to attach screenshot i just took with Angry Birds on my external SD. I'll ask about this issue tomorrow and will upload when it fixed.

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Try moving a large app, say over a gig, like real Racing 3, then you will see the real impact. Check SD and phone on both device and PC to see where the files have gone.

Peter

RedbeardinTC

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 7". I don't think it's device specific.

I am trying to move Madden 25 to my SD card.
Before I move it:
Total: 1.19 GB
Application: 57.45 MB
SD card app: 1.07 GB
Data: 69.35 MB

After I "move" it:
Total: 1.19 GB
Application: 1.68 MB
SD card app: 1.12 GB
Data: 69.35 MB

When I look up my internal storage and external storage with 'DiskUsage' (awesome app) it says I have 1092 MB used on my internal storage by Madden. If I delete that file and try to start the game, it downloads it again. I'm assuming this is the data file of the app with all the graphics.

When I switch to my 32 gig microSD card, I have 55.8 MB there from Madden 25.

This is not what I want. My device only gives me about 4.5 GB for *all* my user data, so I can only install *one* high graphic app if it won't store the resources file on my external SD card.

I did chat with an EA rep, and he's having the same problem. He can only install FIFA and no other big apps, because they won't move to his SD card. So...tech support was having the same problem, and didn't know how to fix it... :(