12-14-2016 08:50 AM
62 123
tools
    Phone and OS: Samsung Galaxy S3 Straight Talk (SCH-S968C) running 4.1.2

So I purchased a Galaxy S3 from walmart and found that I could not put "movable" apps on my "external" sd card. I am very aware of the emulated drive. When I go to My Files/storage I see sdcard0 and extSdCard. It is really making me mad that all the App to SD apps I find can not move the apps to the actual sd card. In fact when I open AppMgr III and click "ON SD CARD" tab its says "the device does not have a real primary external storage, or the primary external storage is emulated. Moving app to SD function cannot be supported by this device" How annoying. So I did what jnoake suggested and installed ADB, put my phone in debugging mode and executed the 'adb shell pm set-install-location 2' into the phone. Well it did not help as I went to the Play Store and downloaded Spotify and as soon as it tried installing it gave me the following error, "Insufficient storage available." DARN! It must not allow to install on my SD card???? I dont understand how I cant find a solution for this as this phone is very well known. I have spent the whole afternoon trying to solve this problem but only to be disappointed. I appreciate any direction or help as I am new to the s3. I just cant figure out why i cant move "movable" Apps to the SD card. NOTE:I understand that some apps are movable and the ones that are movable only allow certain parts to go on the sd card. Lets try to keep the focus on the actual problem which is the inability to move apps and such onto the actual extSdCard (ACTUAL REMOVABLE CARD). I has an Optimus Showtime and I had no problems moving "movable apps" to my external SD card. With this phone I don't even get the option "move to SD card" in phone settings, whats up with that? Please offer reasonable insight and don't blab about non constructive issues. Henning Knutsen seems to be one really addressing the problem I am having. We bought the SD cards to consolidate space and as of now, its really not that possible. I can get my photos and media on my external SD but what if I want to download a lot of apps and some games that take up a lot of space???? To me this seems like a fixable problem or was the phone designed to do this? If my Optimus Showtime did it why cant the uber awesome Galaxy S3 do it??? Any insight would be appreciated... Oh and I really dont want to root my phone. I have done it in the past but I'm not chancing voiding my warranty on a 400 dollar phone.
    02-10-2014 01:15 AM
    I have read the whole thread and I have the same problem with Galaxy S4 I9500 on Android 4.3.

I had Samsung phones all my life and always loved the brand even in times when everyone had Nokia because I could see Samsung always had something better or nicer than competition. Now Samsung is a major player together with Apple.

Interesting thing is that I also had Samsung Wave with bada OS and it WAS possible to move huge games like Asphalt 5 or 6 (and all other huge games - but there haven't been many for this OS) onto an SD card and the data really moved. Now after purchasing S4 back in June (together with Samsung 64 GB SD card), I thought I finally have everything I need for my mobile needs. I was probably mistaken because since unboxing the phone until now (= 8 months), not a single firmware update resolved the issue and I don't think 4.4 update which is officially already released in two countries will fix that.

Recently I found a way how to reduce amount of data on internal storage for over 1GB but that was a Gallery issue, not SD card/game issue.

So even now I am only able to have very few real games (Asphalt 8, Real Racing 3 and then two small Rayman games). If I wanted to play Batman, I'd have to uninstall one big game before that. Turns out S4 is a multimedia machine, not a gaming machine.

I'm sorry about this because this is the second time Samsung disappointed me at something (first was abandoning amazing bada OS that had a huge potential).

I am really happy for those of you who will find happiness with the iPhone. I will have bigger problem - to find a phone for myself. I don't need SD card as long as the phone has at least 64 GB of storage - S4 in this variant is not sold anywhere I've been although it was announced. But I won't be getting the iPhone (my reasons: too small, no widgets, not so vibrant and lifelike colors, too few customization options, not possible to carry an extra battery and replace when it runs out) - I still extremely adore Apple but Samsung won my heart too many times in the past so I won't abandon it so easily.
    02-22-2014 08:22 PM
    Seriously, this is freaking annoying. I have only got a few apps installed. Facebook, Skype, whatsapp and ebay. My phone was getting low on storage. I bought a 64GB SD card. moved all apps to SD card where developer allows it. It says they are on SD card. I just did an update as 9 apps needed updating, and it crashed on google search saying "not enough storage space". Come on, I have 62GB storage space! use it!

Did anyone actually solve this without rooting phone?
    07-24-2014 05:59 AM
    Hi , I had the same problem, however I installed 'map.me' and in the settings it offered where to store the maps. I am very pleased with this app.
    01-15-2015 10:54 AM
    I have Galaxy Tab Pro with 4.4.2 and to sum up the exact problem is this:
    You can use "Move to SD", but it moves only a small fraction of application (we are not talking about data) instead of most of it. It's 40-50 MB max (mostly visible with big apps).

Try downloading something bigger like Plants vs Zombies 2. I takes over 500 MB in Application section, not Data. If you use "Move to SD" it moves about 25 MB with 550 left on device. So it's point-blank useless.
    Yet, the same game on my HTC phone after "Move to SD" leaves only 6 MB on device with 570 on SD card.

So it doesn't look like Google fault but rather Samsung half-assed implementation of "Move to SD".

There is also problem with apps like Real Racing 3 that were designed to download additional content to SD card. It has only 50 MB in Application section and almost 1,4 GB in "SD card data". On my phone it's really stored on SD card, but on Tab Pro it is of course not. It's on f**** internal SD card.

In fact it looks like Samsung did everything it could to prevent user from using SD card for applications. Good job.
    03-20-2015 10:59 AM
    I have the same problem.

I just bought a new LG H440n phone, Android 5.0.1, 8 GB internal storage, 3.46GB available for user.
    In addition I bought a 16GB SD card to have plenty of room for applications.
    But not possible to move applications to external SD card.

Link2SD report storage to be

Internal storage
    /data
    Total 3.46GB

SD Card
    /storage/emulated/legacy
    Total 3.46GB

External SD
    /storage/external_SD
    Total 15GB

In Settings/Apps I can for application press "Move to SD card", but this just mean application move from Internal storage to SD card (on this phone emulated SD Card), after move application is still on internal storage.

An option can be to root phone and by use of Link2SD link applications to external SD Card second partition.
    But by root you loose warranty on phone.
    05-20-2015 08:16 AM
    Problem solved.

LG support asked for more info on problem, and requested me first to Factory Reset phone and see if this solved problem.
    And yes, now it works.

Looks like Android on first start make special setup if you have external SD card in phone, and then you can move apps to external SD card.
    I added my external SD after first start,

I still see emulated "SD Card" on phone, mapping same storage as "Internal storage".
    But when I now move apps to SD card, they are moved to "External SD".
    05-22-2015 04:17 AM
    Problem solved.

LG support asked for more info on problem, and requested me first to Factory Reset phone and see if this solved problem.
    And yes, now it works.

Looks like Android on first start make special setup if you have external SD card in phone, and then you can move apps to external SD card.
    I added my external SD after first start,

I still see emulated "SD Card" on phone, mapping same storage as "Internal storage".
    But when I now move apps to SD card, they are moved to "External SD".
    I noticed this behavior on my Moto E 2nd gen (Android 5.0.2). I installed the external sd card after setting up the phone the first time. When I "moved" apps it pushed them over to an emulated folder not the sd card. Going to give this a shot.

"Moving" app to the "sd card" would not change the space usage on the SD card at all, no usage difference in bytes. Phone storage usage remains the same after "moving" the app.

Waiting on phone updates atm... will be moving an app shortly. Will update....

Didn't change anything. Moving apps to the external SD card does nothing but put them in a different folder in primary storage. They need to stop advertising this feature, rename the button, or remove the button. What a bunch of garbage. I don't use the sd card for music or images... was hoping to use it for apps. Maybe android M will address this issue.

A few well made apps like OsmAnd (Open Street Maps) do allow you to install their maps to the external SD card. OsmAnd makes it very obvious that moving an app to "external" storage may not really be "external" storage. When selecting where to install maps I had 2 external storage options External 1 or External 2. Selecting External 1 showed the same free space as my phones primary storage. Selecting External 2 showed the free space of my external sd card.... thank you OsmAnd. The option to move apps from Settings > Apps is completely disingenuous.
    06-09-2015 05:59 PM
    @knight

Ive been having the same exact problem!

I mean come on one of the main reasons a person would purchase a memory card/ sd card is to free up space on there phone. And i agree @knight ive been trying to move all my games to my sd card it says that they were transferred but just as you said, there still taking up majority of my phone memory to the point were I cant download anything or even update existing apps. This is completely ridiculous. Someone please give me an answer or any kind of advice!

-Toasty ^__^ 🍞
    09-26-2016 01:47 PM
    Hi guys im glad im not the only one having this problem, i clickthe button move to sd card, but the truth is android is such a big fat lieeeer! That button is not working those apps still hugs spaces on your internal storage and doesnt really move to your sd card im moving to ios now this android such a piece of garbagee waste of money!!!
    10-25-2016 06:48 PM
    Summary of all of the above and other issues experienced: Android phones, Samsung being some of the best, are rubbish and unstable and don't do 50% of the things they say they do - certainly not after a few months of operation. If you have money, just buy Apple products. I don't, so I'm stuck with using these things. Good luck to everyone else out there who are also on Android.
    12-10-2016 01:15 AM
    Summary of all of the above and other issues experienced: Android phones, Samsung being some of the best, are rubbish and unstable and don't do 50% of the things they say they do - certainly not after a few months of operation. If you have money, just buy Apple products. I don't, so I'm stuck with using these things. Good luck to everyone else out there who are also on Android.
    Sheer nonsense. IPhones don't even have SD cards. The problems in this thread are the result of purchasing phones with too little internal storage.
    12-14-2016 08:50 AM
62 123